Weekly Discussion Thread: Congrats! The couple signed the contract, and now what ...?

AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
edited March 9, 2010 in Weddings
If you're anything like me, you do a little dance when you get an email from the bride, committing to sign the contract :thumb ... A couple of days later you get the contract in the mail, you sign and send them a copy back, and now what?? What are your next steps?

• How do you keep in touch with the bride / couple?
• When / how often do you check in with them?
• Do you meet them again before their big day?
• Do your packages include engagement photos / if not, are you trying to "persuade" the couple to get engagement photos taken?

Share your approaches :lynnma

>> Shhhhhhht. Wanna see the other weekly threads? Click HERE.

Comments

• ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2010
    Agnieszka wrote:
    • Do your packages include engagement photos / if not, are you trying to "persuade" the couple to get engagement photos taken?

I actually love keeping in touch w/ my future bride and groom's via facebook. Works great, and we get a better feel for each other as the weeks draw closer.

I don't do regular check ups until a month or two before the wedding and then it's just a couple of times to see how they're planning is working out and follow up on wedding day timelines. Sometimes I give advice as well since I always pitch that as something they can come to me for when planning the rest of the details for their day.

Usually I don't meet them again before the big day, but if they're local and call me up I always gladly do.

Only my top package includes it, for everyone else I try to encourage it so they get more than just the photos of them in their formal attire, to give them some fun shots to use on the walls and at the wedding.
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2010
    • How do you keep in touch with the bride / couple? + When / how often do you check in with them?
    Hellz yeah! Via Facebook or email. For me to get to know them better and how to approach them better, I need to get to know them. Not the iddy biddy details of their life, though I could analyze it if I really wanted to (rolleyes1.gif) but get a good glimpse of their personality. Its one reason what makes photographing weddings interesting, there are so many lifestyles and lives to observe, step-in-the shoes of, that for me, its a rich amount of experience. It gets the social scientist in me giddy observing investigating so many people. :D I can be... chatty and inquisitive. hahaha!

If we aren't on Facebook together, every two weeks I would send an email to them, asking how they are and sending them some ideas that I have in mind.

Of course! Get some dinner, have some laughs.

They do. If they wonder what the heck an eSession is, I tell them it is an electronic adult session disguised in them doing whatever they want to do while i photograph them. Just kidding, I let them in on that and tell them, it is great for STDs, get to know them even further especially in front of a camera, and for them to get to know how I approach photography.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2010

I copy their contract and mail them a copy, then deposit their deposit after the contract hits the mail.

If they don't contact me first....1 month out.

At their engagement session or if they request it.

Yes, my all day package includes an E-session, my mini package does not. I persuade as little as possible, I find it makes me sweaty and unattractive.
  • entropy07entropy07 Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited March 9, 2010
    Agnieszka wrote:

Share your approaches cheerleader.gif

1 - I have them become my Facebook friend (in a special category though, they don't get to see all my private stuff :lol and also join my Facebook fan page.

2 - I have a monthly announcement email that is pretty generic that I send out to everyone. Usually it's to announce products, show some recent work, and I often have some tips or tricks. The brides who then want to check in will often reply to these emails, but most of the time I try to leave them alone

3 - I almost always try to meet. If not engagement session, at least for a meal or coffee. My working style is very involved and I collect as much information as possible to help me be prepared

4 - Engagement photos used to be separate, but now that I've raised prices, lowered the number of weddings, I'm including them in all my packages (whether clients choose to make products, that's additional cost to them). It's been such an enhancement to my day-of experience
    Nikon D700, 50mm f/1.8, 85mm f/1.8, 24-70mm f/2.8, 60mm f/2.8, SB-900
    Site
    Blog