Options

how much to charge for framed prints hanging in a cafe?

lingreonlingreon Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
edited March 11, 2010 in Mind Your Own Business
Good day everyone!

Can't figure this out on my own!!!!

So I was wondering how much to charge for framed photographs that will be hanging in a local cafe?

sizes: 5x7 prints into 8x10 frames @ ?
8x10 prints into 12x16 frames @ ?

frames and mats from ikea (hence the odd size frame :)
photos printed at whcc...

any thoughts would be most welcome!

thanks.

Comments

• Options
    JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2010
    lingreon wrote:
    Good day everyone!

Can't figure this out on my own!!!!

So I was wondering how much to charge for framed photographs that will be hanging in a local cafe?

sizes: 5x7 prints into 8x10 frames @ ?
    8x10 prints into 12x16 frames @ ?

frames and mats from ikea (hence the odd size frame :)
    photos printed at whcc...

any thoughts would be most welcome!

thanks.

Are you selling one-offs to the local cafe or setting up a consignment deal?
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2010
    JohnBiggs wrote:
    Are you selling one-offs to the local cafe or setting up a consignment deal?

if someone walks in to the place and sees something they like, they have the option of either buying on the spot (cafe will handle sales) or they can contact me to purchase prints.
    it's more like a mini exhibition so I own the prints.
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2010
    lingreon wrote:
    if someone walks in to the place and sees something they like, they have the option of either buying on the spot (cafe will handle sales) or they can contact me to purchase prints.

Congrats on the deal. I would think the answer is 42. mwink.gif
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2010
    Determine what your costs are, and what the market will bear. Make sure costs < market. Seriously, it's impossible for us to tell you. You have to determine the market. Heck, try a price point and see what happens.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2010
    lingreon wrote:
    Has this cafe done this before? What is the sales rate, if they have done this before? But if they are up for sale I'm not sure you'll be able to wrench any money out of the cafe.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    jdorseydesignjdorseydesign Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2010
    I have an opportunity like this as well. I'm trying to decide between framed prints and canvas prints. How do you handle the consignment contract between you and the cafe? Does the cafe get a cut?
    J Dorsey Design Photography • jdorseydesign.com • Facebook Fan/Friend • Twitter @bartdorsey
  • Options
    jamaizjamaiz Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited March 4, 2010
    Hi folks,
    These are just my thoughts but a sale needs to cover expenses and then make a profit. I'm a mechanic by trade but the same rules apply to all manner of material sales. First calculate the cost of framing and printing; then at a minimum add 40% (cost*1.40). My accountant insists that to be profitable materials should be calculated at costs plus 70%(cost*1.70). This does not account for your investment in labor. I'm not sure that you can recoup your labor cost on the sale of a framed print, but this could be compensated by repeat sales of individual prints.
    Once again just my thoughts.
    No matter where you go; there you are
    Regards
    James
    www.jamespatephotography.com
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2010
    sorry for the late reply ~ in this instance, the cafe is not getting a cut - they just want to showcase local artists and get their wall decorated.
    however, I've done some asking around and research - seems like the %commission ranges from 10-20%. get it all down in writing as well.
    good luck with your show.
    I have an opportunity like this as well. I'm trying to decide between framed prints and canvas prints. How do you handle the consignment contract between you and the cafe? Does the cafe get a cut?