Most Suitable Tripod?

Richard_GRichard_G Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
edited March 12, 2010 in Accessories
I have a 40 yr old Tiltall in need of repair. I'm thinking if I should replace parts or get a new tripod. The use for it will be to hold a dslr with lightweight pano gear. Part of the problem is old hands which find it more difficult than it used to be to tighten knobs etc.

If I WERE to replace it, I ned something easy to carry (not for backpacking, just for walking around), well made, strong, and which extends a least as high as the Tiltall (70").

Also, are the ball heads strong and reliable and do they lock in solidly? Never used one.

Suggestions anybody?

Thanks!

Comments

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2010
    Welcome to DGrin, Richard wave.gif

Have you found the Reviews section yet? At the top of every DGrin page is a menu and the 5th option is the reviews. Therein you will find a bunch of information, one list is for accessories and there's at least two tripod reviews there. Not saying that the tripods there are a solution to your questions, but it might be a start.

A 70" tripod .... wow, is that to the mounting plate or is that with a center column extended? Either way, that's quite tall! You must be one tall guy!

As for you ball head question ... the strength and reliability of any given ballhead is going to be a function of design and materials which impacts on price. There are lots of alternatives out there. I've personal experience with the Acratech Ultimate Ballhead and the Really Right Stuff BH-55 (here's a review of that ballhead on Luminous Landscape that should give you an idea. The Acratech ballhead was stellar, I had no problems with it at all and had no qualms about selling it to another DGrinner (there's stuff that I have that I don't use that I will never sell cause I have found it to be ... well, junk). I've had my BH-55 for only about a year and I couldn't be happier.

A ballhead is not the solution to every problem or the right piece of equipment for everyone, but I find them to be very easy to use and very secure even supporting, for example, a Canon 50D with a Canon EF 100-400 f/4-5.6L IS USM mounted. But, YMMVdeal.gif
  • Richard_GRichard_G Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited February 26, 2010
    Scott - wow, thanks very much for the info and gathering together all the information in your other post!

It's an embarassment of riches out there! I think I'll just fix the old tiltall and avoid the confusion (and exoense!). It IS a great old piece of equipment.

Richard
  • rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2010
    Height of a tripod...
    I prefer elevating the center column of a tripod very little, if at all.

However, I don't need a tripod or monopod as tall as I am. I don't have a ruler next to me at this moment, so I am going to estimate or guestimate the following measurements.

Tripod head: about 4 to 6 inches tall (depending on type of head)

Base of camera to center of viewfinder: about 3 inches for my 40D

Top of your head down to your eye level: about 4 to 5 inches

That is a total of probably over 12 inches inches - maybe a bit more, maybe a bit less. Remember, the measurements are just estimated and are simply meant to illustrate that a tripod doesn't have to exactly be the size of a person's height. Please don't post that I don't know what I am talking about because your eyes are only 3.5 inches from the top of your head.

Therefore a tripod or monopod which is 60" tall would place the camera somewhere around the eye level of a photographer who is about six feet tall or possibly a bit taller. That 60" monopod or tripod would work for the vast majority of American photographers.

About 3.9 percent of the U.S. population are over six feet tall. Just 0.7 percent of U.S. women are 5-foot-10 or taller, and just 3.9 percent of men are 6-foot-2 or taller. The average heights for American men and women are 5-foot-9 and 5-foot-3.7 respectively, according to statistics from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
  • cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2010
    rpcrowe wrote:
    About 3.9 percent of the U.S. population are over six feet tall. Just 0.7 percent of U.S. women are 5-foot-10 or taller, and just 3.9 percent of men are 6-foot-2 or taller. The average heights for American men and women are 5-foot-9 and 5-foot-3.7 respectively, according to statistics from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.

Since I'm 6'5" and my wife is 5'11"... I wonder where my daughter is going to play her college ball. :D

Keeping this camera-related, I've done all that math myself, and have had a hard time finding a tripod that will get to my eye level without at least using the center column for a couple of inches. I've had a hard time finding a set of legs that will do that (especially since I'm not looking for pro gear and I have to keep my budget in mind). Pretty much the only Gitzo I could find that came close was the GT2542L, and it only goes to 59.4", while I'll need something like 65". The Giottos MT9371 extends to 63.4", so that will need less center column extension, plus it's quite a bit more wallet friendly. I'm sure it's not as high quality, and it's AL, so it's heavier, but that's the one that I think will best suit my needs. Next I have to decide if I can "live with" a Kirk ballhead of if I "need" to spring for the RRS BH-55.
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2010
    Since I'm 6'5" and my wife is 5'11"... I wonder where my daughter is going to play her college ball. :D

Keeping this camera-related, I've done all that math myself, and have had a hard time finding a tripod that will get to my eye level without at least using the center column for a couple of inches. I've had a hard time finding a set of legs that will do that (especially since I'm not looking for pro gear and I have to keep my budget in mind). Pretty much the only Gitzo I could find that came close was the GT2542L, and it only goes to 59.4", while I'll need something like 65". The Giottos MT9371 extends to 63.4", so that will need less center column extension, plus it's quite a bit more wallet friendly. I'm sure it's not as high quality, and it's AL, so it's heavier, but that's the one that I think will best suit my needs. Next I have to decide if I can "live with" a Kirk ballhead of if I "need" to spring for the RRS BH-55.
    Two thoughts came to mind when reading this:
    1. I almost never use my tripod extended to the point where the camera is eye-level. Different heights give a whole different perspective on the world. Just something to think about - unless you are shooting sports or something and then all bets are off.

2. I bought the BH-55 because I have plans to eventually be using much longer lenses than I currently have and I wanted to make the purchase my last one (we'll just have to see how well that works for me :D). Unless you are planning to get much longer glass you may want to consider one of the smaller RSS ballheads and save yourself some change. I have a couple of friends who went with the BH-40 and are "giddy with excitement". There are more than a few on DGrin who also are quite happy with that selection. Of course, only you know what your needs are or what your plans are - so YMMV.
    edited March 1, 2010
    Two thoughts came to mind when reading this:
    1. I almost never use my tripod extended to the point where the camera is eye-level. Different heights give a whole different perspective on the world. Just something to think about - unless you are shooting sports or something and then all bets are off.
    Thanks for the words of experience. I don't know how much I would use it at full height, but if I find myself in a situation where I want to be at full height, I'd like to have that option. I don't want to get stuck shooting for an extended time while having to squat down or lean over. That would get old real quick. Anyway, the Giottos is in my realm of affordability, and the Gitzos really aren't, so that does make the decision a little easier.
    1. I bought the BH-55 because I have plans to eventually be using much longer lenses than I currently have and I wanted to make the purchase my last one (we'll just have to see how well that works for me :D). Unless you are planning to get much longer glass you may want to consider one of the smaller RSS ballheads and save yourself some change. I have a couple of friends who went with the BH-40 and are "giddy with excitement". There are more than a few on DGrin who also are quite happy with that selection. Of course, only you know what your needs are or what your plans are - so YMMV.
    In comparing ballheads, I've looked at and read reviews about Kirk BH-1, BH-3, RRS BH-40 and 55, and Markins Q3, M10, and M20. I haven't seen many dgrinners mention Markins, but they seem to be extremely popular on some other sites.

My thoughts are that my choices are basically between the Kirk BH-3 or RRS BH-55. The Kirk is $265 and comes with the QR clamp and a universal plate. The RRS is $415 when equipped with the same style clamp that the Kirk comes with. At $150 difference, that's enough to make me stop and think about what I need vs. what I'd like. If I go to the Kirk BH-1 ($365), then the difference is only $50, and I think I would definitely go with the RRS. The difference b/t the RRS BH-40 ($356 with Pro II clamp) and BH-55 is only $59, so I can't really see getting that over the BH-55. So it's either Kirk and keep $150 or BH-55.

As for my intended usage, I seriously doubt I'll ever have anything that remotely stretches even the 15 lb capacity of the Kirk, let alone approach the 50 lb rating on the BH-55. At this point, if I put my heaviest lens on my D90, and my flash, I don't think I'm over 5 lbs. I don't see myself ever owning any serious "big guns," but who knows what will happen down the line. I would like to get a D300s (or its replacement), and the heaviest lens I'd probably put on it would be a 70-200/2.8, maybe with a TC, and maybe a flash, although I'd probably have off camera light. So as far as requirements go, the Kirk BH-3 will probably be enough for anything I'll ever need, but OTOH, if I got the BH-55, I'm sure I'd be thrilled, plus as you say, I would know for sure that I'd never need to buy another one.

Either way, I'll likely be getting RRS L-plates for my current and any future bodies and lenses that require plates.
    My site 365 Project
  • Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2010
    When I was looking for a ball head and considered the Kirk and RRS. I ended up getting the Kirk BH-3 and the Kirk L bracket. I think they are both great, top quality, though I don't have anything to directly compare it to.

My largest lens is the Canon 180 macro and the head has no problem holding it in place and you can easily adjust the drag to make it easy to position. If you do get the Kirk get the snap collar too. It's an easy to use belt and suspenders to make sure nothing flops around when you cart your tripod around with the camera on it.

My thoughts are that my choices are basically between the Kirk BH-3 or RRS BH-55. The Kirk is $265 and comes with the QR clamp and a universal plate. The RRS is $415 when equipped with the same style clamp that the Kirk comes with. At $150 difference, that's enough to make me stop and think about what I need vs. what I'd like. If I go to the Kirk BH-1 ($365), then the difference is only $50, and I think I would definitely go with the RRS. The difference b/t the RRS BH-40 ($356 with Pro II clamp) and BH-55 is only $59, so I can't really see getting that over the BH-55. So it's either Kirk and keep $150 or BH-55.
  • Shane422Shane422 Registered Users Posts: 460 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2010
    Vanguard Tripods
    I thought I would chime in here since I was recently in the same position. I'm 6'3" and wanted a tripod that was tall and had a center column that would move to different angles. I live in Iowa so we don't have camera stores with a large selection to try. But my local store had a few Induros, Manfrottos, and another brand I was unfamiliar with, Vanguard. The Vanguard tripod that was nice and tall, rock solid, and felt like it was in the same quality range as the others. It was one of their "Tracker" models.
    http://www.vanguardworld.com. I believe the tracker 4 is the tallest at 74" extended, which would be about 62" without extension.

I liked it, but it didn't have the multi angle center column. But their Alta Pro series does, but you give up a bit of height. I couldn't find the height of their models listed, without the center column extended, so I called them up. The Alta Pro 283CT is 54" without the center column extended. Add another 4" for the Ballhead, and ~3" for the camera, and it brings the viewfinder up to a comfortable height for me without any extention of the center column. And I forgot to mention that it is carbon fiber for $299.

I also bought their SHB-250 Ballhead(~$80). It is very similar to those you are looking at. It seems quite solid and not excessively heavy, and it comes with two Arca-Swiss style QR plates. I put my largest lens, a 70-200 f.8 on it at an awkward angle, and it doesn't slip. Before I decided to keep it, I took this setup to work to show a few more seasoned photogs, and they were equally impressed. So its a keeper

Here is a review of a similar model.
    http://cameradojo.com/2010/02/18/vanguard-284ct-tripod-review/
    edited March 12, 2010
    More support musings...
    Does anyone here have experience with the Acratech leveling base?

level-base.jpg

This seems like a good option to insert between tripod and head, I'm just curious how much stability is compromised when using this (or something like it). I like it because it seems to be fairly universal, so I can get any legs/head and this will work with them, rather than having to go with a system with a built-in leveling base, as those seem to be on the pricey side.

I continue to research and go back and forth in my head about support options. I am firmly in the camp of those who believe it takes good money for good support, and I understand how and why one would spend $1500 (or more) on a support system. However, I am not in the camp of those who can afford that. I've been looking at legs and heads and whatnot, and I think I have finally convinced myself that the Kirk BH-3 is the way I will go. I would love the RRS, but I don't think I can justify it to myself (let alone my wife!). Adding the Acratech base down the line would make leveling for panoramas easier. (Using the RRS panning QR clamp would be better, that's potentially an option as well.)

My current heaviest body/lens/flash combo is practically nothing, only about 3 pounds, so I'm looking towards what I plan (or hope) to add in the future. The heaviest lens I can realistically see myself buying is the Bigma, which is about 58 oz. I also want a 70-200 f/2.8, but those are a little lighter. I also plan/hope to upgrade my body to a D300s or its replacement, plus grip. If I also add a larger flash than I have, the total load I could foresee putting on the head would be a little under 8 pounds. That doesn't seem like it would stress the 15 lb capacity of the BH-3. Does passing 50% of a rated load capacity compromise ease-of-use? I don't want a head that is so loaded down that while it can support the load, is a pain to operate.

The RRS BH-30 is another option at a similar price, but I think I prefer the Kirk, as the RRS doesn't have a friction control setting and doesn't come with a plate, so I'd need to get an L-plate right away (which I might do anyway).

If I had the budget, I'd just go for the RRS BH-55, but I just don't think I can justify that, given my anticipated needs. I suppose I could foresee myself getting a larger telephoto sometime (way) down the line, but I kind of figure that if I can ever afford to spend several $k on a lens, I could also afford a new ballhead at that time, so it makes sense to me to save the $150 now by going with a Kirk over the RRS BH-55.

Other than the "I really lust after the RRS" factor, will I regret a Kirk BH-3, given an expected max load of around 8 pounds? Plus, the Kirk's price includes a universal camera plate, so while I plan to go with an L-plate (later on if not immediately), I could at least use the universal one for a while and/or use it for other cameras like our old P&S, if needed.

As much as I'd love a really nice set of Gitzo legs, the budget thing rears its head again, and I think I'm set on Giottos. I recently bought a Giottos monopod, and I'm happy with the build quality; if the tripod legs are similar, I'm sure I'll be happy. I know Art has commented several times on his use of Giottos pods, and his experience speaks well of them. I am not a pro, so I don't think I'll be as hard on them as he probably has over the years. I think I can sell the wife on the BH-3 and Giottos MT-9371, which would be under $500, and I think would be a pretty good set up. Maybe I upgrade the legs down the line, and add things like L-plates and pano gear, but I could get started with a vastly improved support system than I have now, and it would keep me happy for a while. Am I way off base here?
    My site 365 Project