Options

png support...

Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
edited July 13, 2005 in SmugMug Support
I understand the reasons that SM changes all images to jpgs but I want to try pitching the idea of not doing that with pngs. Currently I have to host all of my images with any transparencies (i.e. my header and any of my fancy cobranding stuff) on imageshack or some other such site in order for them to maintain their transparency as they are converted to jpgs upon upload to SM (if I'm wrong please let me know). That means that for any and all cobranding things on SM I have to pay allegiance to imageshack in the alt attribute. So on my SM hosted site you see "hosted by imageshack" until the image loads. What's worse, the looks of my site are dependent not on the service that I pay for, but a free and flaky outside source, some other fee-based source, or a source like my comcast web page directory (which won't go with me when I move -- and being in the military I move a lot).

Mostly I'd like to have all of my images dependent only on SM.
Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/

Comments

• Options
    BarbBarb Administrators Posts: 3,352 SmugMug Employee
    edited July 13, 2005
    Mike Lane wrote:
    I understand the reasons that SM changes all images to jpgs but I want to try pitching the idea of not doing that with pngs. Currently I have to host all of my images with any transparencies (i.e. my header and any of my fancy cobranding stuff) on imageshack or some other such site in order for them to maintain their transparency as they are converted to jpgs upon upload to SM (if I'm wrong please let me know). That means that for any and all cobranding things on SM I have to pay allegiance to imageshack in the alt attribute. So on my SM hosted site you see "hosted by imageshack" until the image loads. What's worse, the looks of my site are dependent not on the service that I pay for, but a free and flaky outside source, some other fee-based source, or a source like my comcast web page directory (which won't go with me when I move -- and being in the military I move a lot).

Mostly I'd like to have all of my images dependent only on SM.
    I would also love to see .png support. I've changed any of my transparencies into .gifs, which works fine, and which SM supports. But it would be nice to be able to host .png files, too.
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign