Options

Any Familiar with Pikpoke.com?

KaganKagan Registered Users Posts: 196 Major grins
edited March 3, 2010 in Mind Your Own Business
Anyone familiar with picpoke.com? I did a search this evening on "Clinton Massie Falcons"(our home school) and I found a mention of my website name at another site. I went there and they have a feed running apparently of my website from smugmug. Also there is a pulldown menu at the top to pick which big photo site you want to look for pics from. The watermark is still there but I still would prefer to keep things in house. Is this something I could have protected against? Just anyone with any info would be appreciated.:scratch
Kagan

Comments

• Options
    ColoradoSkierColoradoSkier Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2010
    Kagan wrote:
    Anyone familiar with picpoke.com? I did a search this evening on "Clinton Massie Falcons"(our home school) and I found a mention of my website name at another site. I went there and they have a feed running apparently of my website from smugmug. Also there is a pulldown menu at the top to pick which big photo site you want to look for pics from. The watermark is still there but I still would prefer to keep things in house. Is this something I could have protected against? Just anyone with any info would be appreciated.headscratch.gif

I would imagine it centers around whether or not your galleries are searchable on Smugmug.
    Chester Bullock
    Lakewood, Colorado, USA
    My Pictures | My blog
    Facebook | Twitter
  • Options
    JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2010
    I'd learn how to use it to my advantage rather than fight it.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    KaganKagan Registered Users Posts: 196 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2010
    JohnBiggs wrote:
    I'd learn how to use it to my advantage rather than fight it.

Well in all fairness I was rather flattered that someone bothered to put my images there but I noticed they could right click them all there but then calmed down and realized they could get them from thier cache anytime they cared too and decided to relax. Ahh well.
    Kagan
  • Options
    JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2010
    Kagan wrote:
    Well in all fairness I was rather flattered that someone bothered to put my images there but I noticed they could right click them all there but then calmed down and realized they could get them from thier cache anytime they cared too and decided to relax. Ahh well.

Adjust your markings so your website URL is clear on the pictures, figure out what your potential customers search for and make sure your picture tags use those words. Try to get more traffic that way.

I doubt anyone puts the pictures on PikPoke. It's just crawling Smugmug and the other popular picture services. Smugmug rightclick protection is not protection. Alt-Print Scrn will get any picture. PikPoke can only get the same pictures someone else can get by directly visiting your site.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures