Options

UPS truck is on way :)

ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
edited March 4, 2010 in Accessories
Just checked the tracking number supplied from B&H. Brown truck is in town and on the way :)

Two brand new Vivitar 285HVs will be here today to play with. Umbrellas, umbrella holders, a light stand, they are all still on the way though.

Today is a good day :)

Comments

• Options
    edited March 3, 2010
    Just got the umbrellas!

46" umbrellas are BIG. Maybe need to get some 33" umbrellas for ease of use. I am a happy happy man :ivar
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,848 moderator
    edited March 3, 2010
    Congratulations on the new stuff. clap.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2010
    I love new toys! clap.gif
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited March 3, 2010
    How are you planning on connecting your Ebay wireless triggers to the Vivitars? mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2010
    kdog wrote:
    How are you planning on connecting your Ebay wireless triggers to the Vivitars? mwink.gif

Hotshoe..

I admit the vivitars are my second choice. First choice would have been sigme EF 530 supers. But at more than twice the price plus some ridiculous shipping to Canada I decided to go the cheaper route. This allowed me to also get the other accessories now and use the flashes to full potential.
    Just means I hold onto my 430 EX for awhile longer to keep E-TTL capability.

780079156_tDb7K-M.jpg
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited March 3, 2010
    Toshido wrote:
    Hotshoe..

Doh, of course. That works. Yeah, I didn't want to spring for the Sigma's either. Manual control is better in the studio anyway. However, the ETTL remote control of manual settings would be nice.
  • Options
    cbbrcbbr Registered Users Posts: 755 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2010
    Watch that truck. Someone cleans out my wallet everytime it shows up.headscratch.gif:D
    Chad - www.brberrys.com
    If I post it, please tell me how to make it better. My fragile ego can take it.
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2010
    That truck is a blessing and a curse. Last delivery was $30 worth of toys (my new models see cool shots forum) and it cost $20 in brokerage fees.

I am scared of the 2.8 pound box and approximately $200 box arriving tomorrow. They did come today but I was picking up my kid from school (he had to pee or I would have been back in time), and wife was napping with our little one.

So tomorrow...
  • Options
    leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2010
    Love to see the truck....and the big b&h box. They are pretty clean shippers.
    Growing with Dgrin

• Options
    CyberSteakCyberSteak Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2010
    Toshido wrote:
    That truck is a blessing and a curse. Last delivery was $30 worth of toys (my new models see cool shots forum) and it cost $20 in brokerage fees.

As soon as I seen brokerage fees I said..."Oh...fellow Canadian". Call them up. Bitch them out. Ask that they refund the brokerage fees. Don't take no for an answer. And if need be, remind them of the civil suit that was filed against them for these phantom charges they come up with.

<----Hates UPS with a passion.
    http://www.betterphoto.com/Premium/Default.aspx?id=329340&mp=V1

Canon 40D, 28-135mm, 50mm f/1.8, 10-22mm, 70-300, 580 EXII, ST-E2, 500D Diopter
  • Options
    Jane B.Jane B. Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2010
    Toshido wrote:

I am scared of the 2.8 pound box and approximately $200 box arriving tomorrow. They did come today but I was picking up my kid from school (he had to pee or I would have been back in time), and wife was napping with our little one.

So tomorrow...

I am NOT Canadian but have read many posts that the trick for avoiding UPS brokerage fees is to NOT use GROUND. The higher shipping charges of the next tier do NOT have brokerage fees and that more than offsets the higher shipping charge!

Good Luck
    Jane B.
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2010
    UPS offers a worldwide saver package now that has no brokerage fees. There is a problem though. I was looking at a full lighting set that would have been ~$70 UPS ground. UPS worldwide saver was ~$350....

Basically UPS is sticking it to residential users that do not have their own customs brokers. I actually got a recorded phone call from UPS yesterday about brokerage fees. Basically saying if I wanted to use my own broker I could call them and then they would not charge their brokerage fees. But how many people have their own custom brokers, or even know how to begin looking for one?
  • Options
    Jane B.Jane B. Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2010
    Toshido wrote:
    UPS offers a worldwide saver package now that has no brokerage fees. There is a problem though. I was looking at a full lighting set that would have been ~$70 UPS ground. UPS worldwide saver was ~$350....

Basically UPS is sticking it to residential users that do not have their own customs brokers. I actually got a recorded phone call from UPS yesterday about brokerage fees. Basically saying if I wanted to use my own broker I could call them and then they would not charge their brokerage fees. But how many people have their own custom brokers, or even know how to begin looking for one?

You might want to PM Ann McRae as I have seen her posting about this over the years. I can't remember the exact choice she recommends but many seem to have found it worthwhile. I do remember part of it was a recommendation of what shipping to choose when ordering from B&H.
    Jane B.
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2010
    Will look into that before my next purchase from them.
  • Options
    JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2010
    I'd look at this http://www.mpex.com/browse.cfm/4,4643.html

43" double fold umbrella folds smaller than a 33".
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2010
    JohnBiggs wrote:
    I'd look at this http://www.mpex.com/browse.cfm/4,4643.html

43" double fold umbrella folds smaller than a 33".

By big i was referring to the open size. I am only using speedlights to light them for the forseeable future.
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2010
    I am shocked!!!!

The package arrived today with no brokerage fees!

Interesting that I got a commercial invoice and the flashes were billed to TAG-Photos. I am happy.

The vivitars are physically quite a bit larger then my 430 EX, but lighter. These are in no way replacements for my 430 EX as an on camera flash, but I did not buy these for that purpose either.
    A lot of the controls seem foreign and strange, but easy to get to and use. Just need to read the book to figure out howto use them.

Now I am just waiting on a lightstand and umbrella holders. Gonna be having lots of fun int he near future. Glad I have lots of rechargeable AA batteries :)
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2010
    After playing a little with the vivitars I change my mind about the weight. They are about equal weight when loaded with batteries. the balance is a lot different thought.