Options

Solar Charger

skysailorskysailor Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
edited April 13, 2010 in Accessories
Headed down to Cuba. They have this really strange 240 (I think) AC outlets. Three prongs, straight across. Can't seem to find an adapter, so I'm wondering if anyone makes a solar charger for 110 AC?
Lyle
Gear: D200, G9, Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6, Nikkor 35 f/1.8, Vivitar Series 1 28-105 f/2.8-3.8, Sigma 18-200 f/3.5-6.3

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,915 moderator
    edited March 6, 2010
    http://www.international-electrical-supplies.com/cuba-plug-adapters.html

http://electricaloutlet.org/

You might consider taking a conventional US outlet and a plastic outlet box with you and have someone build you a "pigtail" adapter once you get there. Be sure to mark the outlet so the electrician knows how to wire the pigtail. Take a small multimeter so you can double-check the polarity.

Some chargers can handle 110/220 automatically. If your original equipment charger cannot, search for a third party charger that will.

If you can get a AA battery option for your camera, sometimes through a special battery sled for a vertical grip for instance, there are all sorts of options for charging them.

A solar panel would be a last resort.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    hgernhardtjrhgernhardtjr Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2010
    Forget solar power.

In addition to Ziggy's links, you can pick up "adapter plugs" at Radio Shack or even many WalMarts (e.g., ours carries an adapter plug kit good for many countries) or they can be ordered from walmart.com. Also many airport stores carry them.

When my daughter went to China, I picked a set up for her at WalMart ... all her electronic device chargers work on any standard world voltage from 90v to 240v (note: items like hairdriers generally don't, though), so it was a simple plug in with the proper adapter.

Just read the nomenclature on your chargers to be sure they will work on the different voltages involved ... in today's international-travel world, most do.

Have a great trip and get some great pix!
    — Henry —
    Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2010
    CUBAN ELECTRICAL OUTLETSYo
    You might this helpful.................cuban electrical outlets was the google search

Have a great trip!!!
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    skysailorskysailor Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2010
    I'll be posting some pics for sure. A lot of you guys don't get to Cuba. The autos alone are worth schlepping the camera! I'll be in downtown Havana playing with my new 10-20.
    Gear: D200, G9, Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6, Nikkor 35 f/1.8, Vivitar Series 1 28-105 f/2.8-3.8, Sigma 18-200 f/3.5-6.3
  • Options
    MoeIsMeMoeIsMe Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited April 13, 2010
    Battery pack idea
    I'm sure I am waaaay late in replying to this thread, but I will do so for posterity.
    I agree with those people who are advising against solar for this particular trip. An investment in solar is best suited to locations that are well out of the way.
    What you might want to do is take a lithium battery pack, and find a power adaptor right there in Cuba. An electronics shop should be able to help.
    Use such a plug adaptor to permit the charging of the battery pack, and then use the battery pack as a more mobile source of power so you don't have to constantly look for an outlet. Someone else mentioned that most small electronics these days are 100-240v AC input capable, and this is true. Some battery chargers even add a 12-24v DC option.
    Hope the trip went/is going well!