Options

Focus stacked flower macro

Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,900 Major grins
edited July 14, 2005 in Holy Macro
Thought this might be of interest. On my daily garden exploration found some tiny flowers on one of my herbaceous perennials. Picked a sprig and rigged up the camera on a macro table on my tripod. Took 8 shots of one flower bunch at different focus depths at 1:1 using the 105mmEX macro lens and flash. Then used the programme combinez5 to combine the in focus bits (it does this automatically). What do you think?
Brian V.

Shots below are untreated first and last shots and then the finalised combined image.
CRW_6264c.jpg

CRW_6271c.jpg

stack5c.jpg

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited July 13, 2005
    That's pretty cool.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited July 13, 2005
    ian408 wrote:
    That's pretty cool.

Ian

That is very impressive!! Nice work, LV! - I gotta look into this, But it is limited to stationary subjects, right?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    That is very impressive!! Nice work, LV! - I gotta look into this, But it is limited to stationary subjects, right?
    Thanks Pathfinder- It was actually someone here that suggested the software.
    Yes the subject has to be stationary AFAIK- even then the stacker sometimes makes errors as the subject does effectively move when you focus.
    More obvious example here of an 8 legged fly- it moved it's front legs between shots.
    Brian V.

CRW_586263c.jpg
  • Options
    Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2005
    That is a really cool trick. I notice a halo around the stem that doesn't appear to be in your "original" shots. Wierd. The end result is really impressive though. clap.gif
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2005
    Phil U. wrote:
    That is a really cool trick. I notice a halo around the stem that doesn't appear to be in your "original" shots. Wierd. The end result is really impressive though. clap.gif
    Thanks Phil
    The halo on the stem is artificial, it was me using the dodge tool in Photoshop as the stem had all but dissappeared in the final image.
    Brian V.
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2005
    Focus stack with reversed lens
    Same flower taken with a reversed 50mm lens in front giving approx 2.8:1 Again a stack of 8 pictures.
    Brian V.

stack3c.jpg
  • Options
    MuskyDudeMuskyDude Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2005
    Very cool and effective technique Brian, excellent results. Thanks for sharing. thumb.gif

AJ
  • Options
    HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2005
    Yeah Baby, Nice stack Brian :)
    Beautiful tiny flowers that would most likely go unnoticed were it not for macro. I like the colors and compthumb.gif. Nicely captured detail.

CombineZ5 does a good job providing that you get all parts of the subject into focus. Brian hit this one on the nose. For those wanting to try this program, the one thing to really watch for is making sure every part you want in focus has a shot that is in focus. If there is an area that falls withing the focus range and is not in focus, you will get a halo around that object. Otherwise, it seems to work great.

Macro is a wonderful world!!
    Chris

A picture is but words to the eyes.
    Comments are always welcome.

www.pbase.com/Higgmeister

• Options
    edited July 13, 2005
    Beautiful tiny flowers that would most likely go unnoticed were it not for macro. I like the colors and compthumb.gif. Nicely captured detail.

CombineZ5 does a good job providing that you get all parts of the subject into focus. Brian hit this one on the nose. For those wanting to try this program, the one thing to really watch for is making sure every part you want in focus has a shot that is in focus. If there is an area that falls withing the focus range and is not in focus, you will get a halo around that object. Otherwise, it seems to work great.

Macro is a wonderful world!!
    Chris
    Thanks Chris- It must have been you that pointed the prog out to me (I'm useless at remembering names- old age) so thanks to you.
    Brian V.
  • Options
    HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2005
    Hi Brian,
    Thanks Chris- It must have been you that pointed the prog out to me (I'm useless at remembering names- old age) so thanks to you.
    Brian V.
    That may have been. I believe it was Danny (NZmacro) who told me about it...and so on, and so on....:D.

I'm glad to see it working for you. I personally like it also.
    Chris

A picture is but words to the eyes.
    Comments are always welcome.

www.pbase.com/Higgmeister

• Options
    InvectiveInvective Registered Users Posts: 113 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2005
    Wow! I learn something new everytime I come here! That is so cool! I'm going to have to try it out sometime! The final product is very cool, really like the colors. And the 8 legged fly is neat too!
    "The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool."
  • Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2005
    Cool stuffthumb.gif
    Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    REECEPHOTOREECEPHOTO Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2005
    Nice job as allways.........clap.gif
    It's not the speed that'll kill ya
    It's the sudden stops!
    http://reecephoto.smugmug.com
    http://www.danasoft.com/sig/JeffReece.jepg
    src="http//www.danasoft.com/sig/JeffReece.jpg">
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2005
    Invective wrote:
    Wow! I learn something new everytime I come here! That is so cool! I'm going to have to try it out sometime! The final product is very cool, really like the colors. And the 8 legged fly is neat too!
    Thanks Invective.
    I have used a PS action called paul's Velvia from here http://www.atncentral.com/download.htm to accentuate the colour (supposed to mimick Velvia film).
    Brian V.