Options

Where to go in Canada

B643B643 Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
My wife and I were preparing to go to Yosemite next year. Suddenly she comes up to me yesterday and tells me she wants to go to Canada. As she put it. " everyone has photos of Yosemite, take pictures of places where most other people haven't been." I know what she meant by "other people".
Question is...where to go in Canada...Alberta National Park??? I am not a camper, so we will need accommodations also.

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,240 moderator
    edited February 15, 2010
    It depends on what you want to see. Canada has many beautiful parks; Banff is one of them. Jasper is just north of Banff and it's gorgeous too.

My recent wanders in Canda have been in the Maritime Provinces - beautiful parks there too. I visited Gros Morne last year and discovered that I could easily spend more time there.

So - what do you want to see? Mountains? Ocean? East? West?

--- Denise
  • Options
    scootacscootac Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited February 15, 2010
    ne_nau.gif Need more info to answer that question!!!
    Where are you starting from?
    How much time do you have?
    What time of year will you be going?
    How will you travel?
    There's LOTS of places in Canada to take beautiful pictures!!!!!!:D
    The world is a book, those that do not travel, read but one page.
  • Options
    ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2010
    Gee, well...

Bay of Fundy is an amazing place to see. The tides there are unbelievable.

Quebec city has some pretty cool architecture and some battlefield parks.

Ottawa has the parliament buildings, rideau canal and lots of museums.

Chalk River has the nuclear research facility that I found interesting to see from the Ottawa river. But I am biased on that one since my grandfather worked there and has told me a story or two from that place.

Sudbury has the massive nickel and I believe they have tours of the nickel mines. Even without that the rough beauty of the stones in the area is nice.

Toronto has a port you might find neat stuff in, the CN tower can't be missed if you are only there once. Being Canada's largest city it is the ideal place for street photos in Canada (I guess)

Niagara falls... Pretty self explanatory.

Don't know much about the prairies or west coast though...

Friend of mine moved to Whitehorse in the Yukon and says the scenery there is beyond belief. If you are looking for mountains, nature and wildlife.

Not exactly a day's trip though. Might be useful to know where in Canada you will be, general area at least. Remember Canada is an expansive country. Would be easier to give advice to somebody saying "I am going to America, where should I go for pictures?"

Also accommodations are easy to find everywhere, just like a real country :)
  • Options
    GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2010
    Starting from Ohio, you're a couple days' drive from most scenic spots. I can't see anyone driving to Saskatchewan to take photos - I live here, so I make do with what I have, but you'd be better served in the Rockies or the Maritimes. Keep in mind your window of nice weather in the Cdn Rockies is late June thru August.
  • Options
    SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2010
    I live in the Maritimes and this area can offer you a wide variety of photographic opportunities, depending on your area of interest.

My personal favourite time of year is the end of Sept.and the beginning of Oct. when the leaves are brilliant reds and oranges and the autumn sun sits lower on the horizon - but that's just a personal preference.

There are fresh water rivers and lakes, salt water ocean beaches and cliffs, forests, farmland, scenic vistas and quaint villages. Take your pick.

Once you've chosen a direction, if you're coming this way let me know. I'd be glad to make some specific suggestions depending on what you are looking for by way of photography and activities.thumb.gif
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Options
    B643B643 Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2010
    Snowgirl wrote:
    I live in the Maritimes and this area can offer you a wide variety of photographic opportunities, depending on your area of interest.

My personal favourite time of year is the end of Sept.and the beginning of Oct. when the leaves are brilliant reds and oranges and the autumn sun sits lower on the horizon - but that's just a personal preference.

There are fresh water rivers and lakes, salt water ocean beaches and cliffs, forests, farmland, scenic vistas and quaint villages. Take your pick.

Once you've chosen a direction, if you're coming this way let me know. I'd be glad to make some specific suggestions depending on what you are looking for by way of photography and activities.thumb.gif

Thanks to all of you for replying to my request. We will not be going for a year, but I need the time for research flights, accommodations and exactly where we will be going. I love the fall and all of the colors. I am primarily a landscape photographer and love to shoot water. Spent the last two Octobers in Acadia National Park and Stonington Maine.
  • Options
    ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2010
    If in Ontario you might enjoy Algonquin park. Another neat sight to see is in Sudbury when they are dumping slag.
  • Options
    scootacscootac Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited February 15, 2010
    B643 wrote:
    ....... I am primarily a landscape photographer and love to shoot water. Spent the last two Octobers in Acadia National Park and Stonington Maine.

Based on that, go to Nova Scotia, specifically, Cape Breton!iloveyou.gif
    Base yourself in Cheticamp, trips around the Cabot Trail will give you awesome scenery!
    Stop in at the Doryman Beverage Room on a Saturday afternoon for the best fiddlers inthe Maritimes!clap.gif
    If you have time, PEI would be a close second.
    The world is a book, those that do not travel, read but one page.
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2010
    You know, Canada is huge!

I am currently an Albertan, but have toured in 7/10 provinces in the country.

A couple years ago, a few DGrinners (including me) toured the Canadian Rockies. You can see that story here

I also have photos from New Brunswick and from the far West Coast, as well as from the prairie side of Alberta. Oh, Niagara Falls too.
  • Options
    El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2010
    Canada - so much to see, so little time!!
    All the suggestions and recommendations provided are right on target and you will probably receive as many diffeent recommendations of places to visit in Canada as people who log in to respond.

Adding to that list to consider....

try Yellowknife, NWT in February. Wonderful time of year, we spent five days there shooting the auroras in -50C temps. I can recommend a great guide and fellow photographer in Yellowknife. Good potential of photographing the auroras in late Oct.-Nov. too.

Alternatively...

we found Newfoundland to be a fantastic place to visit. Went in late Sept., taking just around two weeks to traverse the island from East to West, to North past Gros Morne (great hiking, like being on the moon!), to Port Au Choix, and South to Rose Blanche Lighthouse and a fantastic B&B with ocean views.

Fantastic scenery, loads of local B&Bs, great food and wonderful Canadian residents/hosts. Gotta try screech in St. John's, it'll warm you to the core!

Photos of both the auroras in Yellowknife and views across Newfoundland can be seen at URL below.

Happy trails!!
  • Options
    lizziejanelizziejane Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited March 6, 2010
    If you're planning for the fall, you could get brave and experience a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to go see the polar bears in Churchill, Manitoba.
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2010
    B643 wrote:
    Question is...where to go in Canada
    i'd allow at least a week - I've heard it's quite a big place! :D
  • Options
    SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2010
    i'd allow at least a week - I've heard it's quite a big place! :D

Just a bit rolleyes1.gif

I love it when people say "Oh, you live in Canada? I have a friend in Winnipeg. Do you know him?" Sure, it's only 3000 MILES away. Uh huh.eek7.gif

So - plan several trips to different destinations each year. It'll take you a long time to check it all out from coast to coast. Even my wee neck of the woods (the Maritimes) consists of 3 provinces which, on the map, look tiny. However, you can not do justice to any of them in less than a week. So many people try to do too much; cover too much territory. Slow down and really, really explore what each area has to offer.
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Options
    PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2010
    scootac wrote:
    Based on that, go to Nova Scotia, specifically, Cape Breton!iloveyou.gif
    Base yourself in Cheticamp, trips around the Cabot Trail will give you awesome scenery!
    Stop in at the Doryman Beverage Room on a Saturday afternoon for the best fiddlers inthe Maritimes!clap.gif
    If you have time, PEI would be a close second.

iloveyou.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

and Halifax offers plenty of scenery and interesting sites like Citadel Hill, Maritime Museum, Point Pleasant Park, the Dingle, Historic Properties along the harbour and lord knows how many pubs to stop at to whet your whistles and take a rest. Peggy's Cove, Mahone Bay and Lunenburg are just down the coast of course - nice afternoon drive.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    jamaizjamaiz Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited March 6, 2010
    If you are looking for different and a little out of the ordinary, consider taking the train. Book onto the Polar Bear Express. You can leave from Union Station in Toronto and finish up in Moosonee on Hudson Bay.
    No matter where you go; there you are
    Regards
    James
    www.jamespatephotography.com
  • Options
    tijosephtijoseph Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2010
    I just got back....

1 word or place....

BANFF

I went for skiing but the tourist season is during the summer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlkKSdA_Hi8