Options

Copyright question

scottcolbathscottcolbath Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
edited March 7, 2010 in Mind Your Own Business
OK, I'm completely clueless here, and I've even searched and read some threads on this and still come away unsure.

I have some pics in a smugmug gallery which I do not want people to steal/use without my permission. Anyone who is aware of the NHRA race in Phoenix two weekends ago and Antron Brown's crash, and subsequent death of a spectator from a wheel flying off the car know that the pics are somewhat sensitive. I want to share them with the photo community, but I don't want them used by anyone.

Where does one start?

Should I put a watermark on the pics?

Can I just put some sort of "Property of Scott Colbath" on the gallery's front page and consider it good enough?

Both?

More?

I'm guessing there's a copyright 101 thread out there somewhere which I didn't find.

S.C.

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2010
    OK, I'm completely clueless here, and I've even searched and read some threads on this and still come away unsure.

1- I have some pics in a smugmug gallery which I do not want people to steal/use without my permission. Anyone who is aware of the NHRA race in Phoenix two weekends ago and Antron Brown's crash, and subsequent death of a spectator from a wheel flying off the car know that the pics are somewhat sensitive. I want to share them with the photo community, but I don't want them used by anyone.

2- Where does one start?

3- Should I put a watermark on the pics?

4- Can I just put some sort of "Property of Scott Colbath" on the gallery's front page and consider it good enough?

Both?

More?

I'm guessing there's a copyright 101 thread out there somewhere which I didn't find.

S.C.

1- in reality if I can view it on the web....i can also use it.....not by law, YOU do own the copyright from the moment the shutter cliks but because it is cached on my computer.........if you do not want any one to beable to use DO NOT POST......not the answer you wanted but the only truthful way to keep it from happening.......

2- if you are going to shatre them on the web then share with a passworded gallery and only give permission to those that you want to really seem or...........

3- watermark with nice big bold watermark (like mine) in the middle of the photos......yes it is a distraction, but it has not stopped me from being publised either.............

4- a copyright notice can also be your watermark.....
    ©2010 SCOTT GOLBATH ALL RIGHTS RESERVED .......
    going across the images middle is pretty had to say I did not know it was copyrighted.......but theifs are still trying to play stupid ................
    When you have around 4gbs of photo files then you need to copy to a dvd and fill out an online copyright form and copyright all the images at once.....remeber tho that your images are copyrighted with the titles you send to the govt and if you change the title it has to be re copyrighted according to whatI was told when I called the copyright office in DC........You can contact the copyright office to have al the info sent to you by mail.....i find it easier to read printed material at times rather than websites................

Good Luck.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    scottcolbathscottcolbath Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2010
    Great info. Thanks.

S.C.
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2010
    Register your copyright ASAP! Art is correct but keep this in mind. Even though you technically own the copyright when you shoot the photo, you cannot recover attorney fees and court costs even if you sue and win for copyright infringement UNLESS your copyright is registered! It's only $35 and you can do it on-line so do it today.

Locally, intellectual property rights attorneys charge $500 retainer just to consider a case. You can do the math-- $35 is a whole lot cheaper than that.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+