Options

A million views a month......

FisheadFishead Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
edited March 10, 2010 in Mind Your Own Business
I really have no idea how it came to pass, but a couple galleries of snow shots I took recently have been getting unbelieveable viewing numbers. The area where I live (Ocean City Maryland) doesn't get much snow so perhaps thats the reason? Normally the galleries get a few thousand views per month. Has anyone else ever experienced an image viewing flurry that seems inexplictable? I'm stoked but perplexed! Still getting 40,000 views/day a month later....crazy! Any insight into how this occurs? This is one of the two galleries.

http://www.assateaguephotos.com/Other/A-Few-Snow-ShotsJan-31/11114154_hPYvi#778585149_qMK6K

Comments

• Options
    ColoradoSkierColoradoSkier Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2010
    Fishead wrote:
    I really have no idea how it came to pass, but a couple galleries of snow shots I took recently have been getting unbelieveable viewing numbers. The area where I live (Ocean City Maryland) doesn't get much snow so perhaps thats the reason? Normally the galleries get a few thousand views per month. Has anyone else ever experienced an image viewing flurry that seems inexplictable? I'm stoked but perplexed! Still getting 40,000 views/day a month later....crazy! Any insight into how this occurs?

Link to the gallery in question?
    Chester Bullock
    Lakewood, Colorado, USA
    My Pictures | My blog
    Facebook | Twitter
  • Options
    FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2010
    I have seen that when some of my pictures were linked in other places, to other blogs etc.

Say, I have my banner sitting on one of the sport blogs, and I have the count of viewers on it way above 10000 / month. It is in a hidden folder, so nobody can see it by logging into a gallery.
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2010
    Send a mail to the help desk and have them check it out.
    40,000 hits a day does not sound right.
  • Options
    Gary Peterson PhotographyGary Peterson Photography Registered Users Posts: 261 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2010
    Increased sales as well?
    Fishead wrote:
    I really have no idea how it came to pass, but a couple galleries of snow shots I took recently have been getting unbelieveable viewing numbers. The area where I live (Ocean City Maryland) doesn't get much snow so perhaps thats the reason? Normally the galleries get a few thousand views per month. Has anyone else ever experienced an image viewing flurry that seems inexplictable? I'm stoked but perplexed! Still getting 40,000 views/day a month later....crazy! Any insight into how this occurs? This is one of the two galleries.

http://www.assateaguephotos.com/Other/A-Few-Snow-ShotsJan-31/11114154_hPYvi#778585149_qMK6K

Has the number of views increased sales as well?
    Gary Peterson
    Gary Peterson
    Award Winning Photographer
    garypetersonphoto@earthlink.net

Winner Brides Choice Award 2017
    Winner Best of Spokane 2016
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2016
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2015
    Winner Best of Spokane 2015
    Winner Wedding Wire Couples Choice Award 2014
    Winner Best Photographer 2013 Spokane A-List
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2013
    Winner Best of Spokane Northwest Inlander 2012
    Winner Best Photographer Best of KREM 2011
    Winner Best Photographer Best of KREM 2010
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2011
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2010

(509) 230-9785

www.actionsportsimages.smugmug.com

• Options
    Kevin KramerKevin Kramer Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited March 9, 2010
    i heart Ocean City, MD.. I'm hoping to go sometime this summer..
    Nikon D300s and Nikon D7000
    Nikon 50mm 1.8 | Tamron 28-75 2.8 | Tamron 70-200 2.8 | Tokina 11-16 2.8
    2 SB-900 and 2 SB-600's
    website | blog | facebook
  • Options
    FisheadFishead Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2010
    Sales
    The gallery was created for "local" folks to enjoy, never opened it to sales as I didn't think there was anything special there. The buy button has been on now for about 5 days made about a hundred dollars profit.....which is fine but doesn't seem like much for all those views! Still happy for the exposure, can't hurt! The most viewed and purchased shot was this one:

778585149_qMK6K-L-1.jpg
  • Options
    SvennieSvennie Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2010
    You might want to check local news websites, especially when the snow has been news. They probably have a direct link to the image within a page. These views count for smugmug stats as well. I see this happen when I post an image here in the forums: the photo has more hits then the other photos in the same gallery.

Hopefully Smugmug will give referral stats someday soon as well. Then it is easy to track the source. Maybe SM-support can help you with this.