Options

More of Kasey

kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
edited March 11, 2010 in People
Here are some more shots of Kasey, a local young gal I had a chance to shoot over the weekend. You probably already saw the first one I posted previously entitled "Jump!"

806037969_eQbZT-XL-1.jpg

806562909_L5qNf-XL.jpg

806090411_76cvH-XL.jpg

4 Same one as above, but cropped. Is it better this way? :scratch
806097064_XZDCw-XL-1.jpg

805961490_gSS5R-XL-2.jpg

806625060_RS9Rk-XL.jpg

7 Already been posted, but here it is again anyway because I like it so much. :D
804913661_4jwLv-XL-1.jpg

Any comments would be great, and thanks for looking.
-joel

Comments

• Options
    jdorseydesignjdorseydesign Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2010
    The lighting on these is great, but on 3,4, and 5 it looks like you over-used "unsharp mask" or something.
    J Dorsey Design Photography • jdorseydesign.com • Facebook Fan/Friend • Twitter @bartdorsey
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2010
    The lighting on these is great, but on 3,4, and 5 it looks like you over-used "unsharp mask" or something.

Thanks, James. I brightened her eyes a bit on those two shots. I wonder if that's what your seeing. It might be too much.

Thanks,
    -joel
  • Options
    jdorseydesignjdorseydesign Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2010
    kdog wrote:
    Thanks, James. I brightened her eyes a bit on those two shots. I wonder if that's what your seeing. It might be too much.

Thanks,
    -joel

No, what I'm talking about is like an over sharpening, or it almost looks like posterization. headscratch.gif
    J Dorsey Design Photography • jdorseydesign.com • Facebook Fan/Friend • Twitter @bartdorsey
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2010
    great shots! clap.gif my 2 nits:

1) hair light is touch hot in 1,2

3) looks oversharpened in 3,4 around her face especially
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2010
    I am seeing the same thing jdorsey is seeing. Not sure if it is oversharpening or not....

The girl has a lot of spirit, get her outside in a park and shoot her some where she can spread her wings and let that personality shine through.

I like the first one, nice confident pose. On 3 and 4 the light looks a bit harsh.

Looks like fun!
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2010
    Qarik wrote:
    great shots! clap.gif my 2 nits:

1) hair light is touch hot in 1,2

3) looks oversharpened in 3,4 around her face especially

Thanks, Daniel. Yeah, that was my first time trying a hair light. Aside from being too hot, it also spilled on her arm as you can see. Next time, I'll try a snoot.
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2010
    zoomer wrote:
    I am seeing the same thing jdorsey is seeing. Not sure if it is oversharpening or not....

The girl has a lot of spirit, get her outside in a park and shoot her some where she can spread her wings and let that personality shine through.

I like the first one, nice confident pose. On 3 and 4 the light looks a bit harsh.

Looks like fun!

Thanks, Zoomer. Ok, it's unanimous. I'll reprocess 3 (and 4 which is the same image only diffrerent crops) and see if I can get it to look better.

Yeah, the lighting came out really harsh in that shot, and I should probably go back and figure out why. The main light was on camera right, a 56" Softlighter II, located near her boots. It should have been softer than that. Plus I added a fair bit of local contrast enhancement which probably exaggerates the effect.

Oh and yeah, we're already planning an outdoor shoot when it warms up. I'm all about outdoor shooting. She has a friend who will probably be in the shoot as well (I've posted shots here of her before.) I have some ideas. naughty.gif

Appreciate ya'lls comments. thumb.gif
    -joel
  • Options
    SvennieSvennie Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2010
    Indeed, nice shots! Cheerful and bright thumb.gif Good job!

Some minor issues:
    - make sure the white sheet is completely flat. The wrinkles in the sheet are a little distracting.
    - her skin colors between #1 and #2 seem a tiny bit different (same for her clothes)
    - maybe she should have stretched her right arm/shoulder a little bit more in #3.

She has a gorgeous face and beautiful eyes, I would really like to see a close up of hernod.gif. Even closer than you did with Sarah Kay. Really close
    Oh oh oh, and of course a Black/White version (I'm a sucker for B/W portraits mwink.gif)
  • Options
    l.k.madisonl.k.madison Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2010
    I see the same thing they're seeing, it almost looks over noise-ninja'd to me, her face looks REALLY over processed.

That's my only pick out of it, though, they're great besides that!
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2010
    Svennie wrote:
    Indeed, nice shots! Cheerful and bright thumb.gif Good job!
    Hey, thanks, Svennie!
    Some minor issues:
    - make sure the white sheet is completely flat. The wrinkles in the sheet are a little distracting.
    Yeah, it's a muslin background, but same thing I know. So difficult to deal with wrinkles.
    - her skin colors between #1 and #2 seem a tiny bit different (same for her clothes)
    Good eye, that's me not paying attention to white balance. rolleyes1.gif
    - maybe she should have stretched her right arm/shoulder a little bit more in #3.
    Ok, I can see that.
    She has a gorgeous face and beautiful eyes, I would really like to see a close up of hernod.gif. Even closer than you did with Sarah Kay. Really close
    Oh oh oh, and of course a Black/White version (I'm a sucker for B/W portraits mwink.gif)
    Yeah, the Sarah Kay was a headshot shoot. That one was my first studio kind of shoot, really. I wish I'd taken a headshot of Kasey. Next time for sure. I might be able to salvage one by cropping though. She doesn't have perfect skin, so there is some smoothing there. Maybe too much, as l.k.Madison noted below. I enjoyed looking through your headshots. Great eye details on those, so I have something to try to emulate. Beautiful girls too.

Thanks for your constructive comments. thumb.gif
    -joel
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2010
    I see the same thing they're seeing, it almost looks over noise-ninja'd to me, her face looks REALLY over processed.

That's my only pick out of it, though, they're great besides that!
    Thanks, l.k.

I've reprocessed #3 (4 is a crop of 3). There's less skin smoothing, only localized sharpening, and no local contrast enhancement sharpening. See what you think.

Reprocessed:
    807323886_5yuAG-XL.jpg

Original for comparison:
    806090411_76cvH-XL.jpg
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2010
    Joel, Minority here..I liked 'em just as first done...really, really nice too! Yeah, the light spill is a bit much, but considering her joie de vivre, how can one complain?

Additionally, and I say this often, all of the magazines I subscribe to to ogle photos, break every rule imaginable each day...and sell them too!thumb.gif
    tom wise
  • Options
    rhondavidrhondavid Registered Users Posts: 433 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2010
    Very cute young lady, great poses and expressions, although the smile all seem to be the same. Looks like the two of you really connected and her personality was very evident.

I agree, get her outside, some nice natural lighting and let her shine!
    David

D40
    18 - 55 kit lens
    55- 200 VR kit lens
    Lots of desires
  • Options
    lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2010
    I don't have much to add here but just wanted to say I really like the first two!
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2010
    Joel, good stuff! clap.gif
    I see you're getting a hold of this whole studio thang! thumb.gif
    On a nit side, the rim lighting looks a bit too asymmetric for my taste. If it was intentional - more power to you, otherwise - use the lightmeter... mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2010
    angevin1 wrote:
    Joel, Minority here..I liked 'em just as first done...really, really nice too! Yeah, the light spill is a bit much, but considering her joie de vivre, how can one complain?

Additionally, and I say this often, all of the magazines I subscribe to to ogle photos, break every rule imaginable each day...and sell them too!thumb.gif

Thanks so much Tom. Your words are very encouraging. thumb.gif

-joel
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2010
    Nikolai wrote:
    Joel, good stuff! clap.gif
    I see you're getting a hold of this whole studio thang! thumb.gif
    Hey, thanks, Nik!! I'm having fun with it for sure. Definitely a good way to spend a rainy winter day.
    On a nit side, the rim lighting looks a bit too asymmetric for my taste. If it was intentional - more power to you, otherwise - use the lightmeter... mwink.gif
    Rim lighting? What rim lighting? That was supposed to be a hair light. :cry rolleyes1.gif

Yes, I think a light meter is definitely in my future. nod.gif

Thanks for checking in, old buddy.

-joel