Options

Irena: Bodyscapes (18+)

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited March 11, 2010 in Go Figure
Got some time to process the last shoot.
Dgrin, meet Irena!
This is a few from our first look, "bodyscapes"

#1: IMG_4972.jpg

797877760_bXnY9-L.jpg

#2: IMG_4988.jpg

797877755_qJTnT-L.jpg

#3: IMG_4989.jpg

797881566_2x7YC-L.jpg

#4: IMG_4992.jpg

797885179_JvrDE-XL.jpg

#5: IMG_4994.jpg

797903786_iwyyh-XL.jpg

Enjoy! C&C welcome!

Canon 5D + 24-105/4.0 + PW + AB

This post was made with the assistance of Star*Explorer
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• Options
    L40L40 Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited February 27, 2010
    No 1 is awesome.
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2010
    As usual great stuff Nikolai. I am struck by #4 as it is unique and I like the selective coloring. I am wondering if a crop above the crossed legs might change the "motion" of the picture. I am still very impressed but was stuck by the upward movement before the legs scrolled up onto the screen. Still very impressivethumb.gif
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2010
    L40 wrote:
    No 1 is awesome.
    Gracias, mate!thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2010
    As usual great stuff Nikolai. I am struck by #4 as it is unique and I like the selective coloring. I am wondering if a crop above the crossed legs might change the "motion" of the picture. I am still very impressed but was stuck by the upward movement before the legs scrolled up onto the screen. Still very impressivethumb.gif
    Brad,
    thank you for stopping and commenting. thumb.gif
    To crop or not to crop - it's very Hamletian question, I gues we all keep asking ourself it in this or that way - before the shoot, during the shoot, after the shoot.. headscratch.gif
    Dunno. I tried it, and liked it this way better, I felt her legs create a "base" in this case. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited March 4, 2010
    Nik,

You know I admire your work, man, but this time I am going to play curmudgeon. Unless you were thinking of an ad for the necklace, I think these are fine executions of a bad concept. Bodyscapes are all about flowing lines, forms and textures, about light and shadow. Using selective color subverts all of those things. It becomes a matter of red and not-red, which does the rest of your work a disservice. The eye is drawn to the red.

Grumble, grumble...get off of my lawn.

mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2010
    Richard wrote:
    Nik,

You know I admire your work, man, but this time I am going to play curmudgeon. Unless you were thinking of an ad for the necklace, I think these are fine executions of a bad concept. Bodyscapes are all about flowing lines, forms and textures, about light and shadow. Using selective color subverts all of those things. It becomes a matter of red and not-red, which does the rest of your work a disservice. The eye is drawn to the red.

Grumble, grumble...get off of my lawn.

mwink.gif

Richard,
    As always, appreciate your stopping by and commenting! thumb.gif
    I hear you. I simply liked how the transluscent "raisins" glowed in the dark, eespcially in the ligh-from-behind series. I know bodyscapes are supposed to be about all those things you've mentioned, but... hey, Marc likes to add human element into his - already beautiful - landscapes, I don't see why I can't add a piece of fine jewelry into - hopefully, beautiful, too - bodyscapes ;-)mwink.gif

Nikolai
  • Options
    CyberSteakCyberSteak Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2010
    Always a lurker in this section of the forums but felt compelled to give my opinion.

I really like this series. More so then a lot of other photos you've taken but it's probably more to do with the subject then your skills. Something to be said for natural beauty vs. surgically enhanced/tattoo'd subjects.

Regarding the issue of whether or not the selective colour is good or bad. I REALLY like it. I like that it IS fighting for my attention. Each photo is like two photos in one. It challenges me to choose what I want to look at with both (in my opinion) being equally credible subjects (the necklace, and the woman's body). Without the selective colouring I likely would have said...Hmmm...nice...next? And hey the photos clearly exposed (may be a bad chose of words) my lurkiness but making me want to comment so that has to be good. thumb.gif
    http://www.betterphoto.com/Premium/Default.aspx?id=329340&mp=V1

Canon 40D, 28-135mm, 50mm f/1.8, 10-22mm, 70-300, 580 EXII, ST-E2, 500D Diopter
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2010
    CyberSteak wrote:
    Always a lurker in this section of the forums but felt compelled to give my opinion.

I really like this series. More so then a lot of other photos you've taken but it's probably more to do with the subject then your skills. Something to be said for natural beauty vs. surgically enhanced/tattoo'd subjects.

Regarding the issue of whether or not the selective colour is good or bad. I REALLY like it. I like that it IS fighting for my attention. Each photo is like two photos in one. It challenges me to choose what I want to look at with both (in my opinion) being equally credible subjects (the necklace, and the woman's body). Without the selective colouring I likely would have said...Hmmm...nice...next? And hey the photos clearly exposed (may be a bad chose of words) my lurkiness but making me want to comment so that has to be good. thumb.gif
    Hey, with 200+ posts you're not so much of a lurker! thumb.gif
    Thank you, appreciate the comments!
    Indeed, the duality of postprocessing was my point, I'm glad I hit it (at least with somebody:-)
    Cheers! 1drink.gif
    --
    Nikolai
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2010
    Richard wrote:
    Nik,

Unless you were thinking of an ad for the necklace,

mwink.gif

And I think thats exactly the way place would work. Beautiful perspective~