Options

Inconsistent sizes in Lightbox

mudhousemudhouse Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
edited March 13, 2010 in SmugMug Support
I upload images that are all 1200 pixels on the long side. In my gallery settings, I specify X3Large as the largest size. My understanding is that this will allow a viewer to see the full size image in the Lightbox.

Sometimes it works, but sometimes it doesn't. In most galleries, at some point, the pictures in the lightbox become smaller than 1200 pixels.

An example is here (only one of many galleries that display the same problem):
http://www.davereichertphoto.com/Current/Random-Obs-1/9365338_4FPoJ#805901637_pmstk

All pics in this gallery are the same size, 1200 X 800 pixels, yet all images past the 18th are showing considerably smaller than that in the lightbox.

Is there something I need to do on my end, in order to display at a consistent size (1200 x 900), or is this a bug that needs to be addressed by SmugMug? Note: I don't want to enable Original as the largest size, because I don't like the Save Image option that appears when I do.

Thanks,
Dave

Comments

• Options
    alacraneraalacranera Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited March 13, 2010
    I'm seeing the maximum size as XLarge for the gallery, and all the photos are loading at the same size.
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2010
    alacranera wrote:
    I'm seeing the maximum size as XLarge for the gallery, and all the photos are loading at the same size.

I'm seeing the same problem on three different browsers, even after clearing my caches. Are you sure your browser window is large enough to show the 1200 pixel version?
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2010
    alacranera wrote:

Try using the "Auto' setting.
    XLarge will give you 1025 pixel wide images, consistently in all galleries.
  • Options
    alacraneraalacranera Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited March 13, 2010
    This is what I see. Max size available to me is XLarge, and Auto displays the same. I'm on Firefox 3.5.8, if that helps
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2010
    alacranera wrote:
    This is what I see. Max size available to me is XLarge, and Auto displays the same. I'm on Firefox 3.5.8, if that helps

Very odd. This is what I see in Firefox. Same result in Safari, Camino, and Chrome for the first 18 pictures.
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2010
    mudhouse wrote:
    Very odd. This is what I see in Firefox. Same result in Safari, Camino, and Chrome for the first 18 pictures.

Pictures 19 and on are smaller:
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2010
    mudhouse wrote:
    Pictures 19 and on are smaller:

Sizes in this gallery are also mixed:
    http://www.davereichertphoto.com/Current/Home-On-The-Range/11476159_zQKXC#807323323_UqthC
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2010
    mudhouse wrote:

I'm also seeing the size variation in the full screen slideshows.
    I don't know whether this is new behavior, or if I'm just noticing it now, but it's not good.
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2010
    mudhouse wrote:
    I'm also seeing the size variation in the full screen slideshows.
    I don't know whether this is new behavior, or if I'm just noticing it now, but it's not good.
    The standard sizes are as follows:

L: 600x800
    XL: 768x1024
    X2: 960x1280
    X3: 1200x1600

If you are uploading images that are 800x1200, then that is not large enough to produce the X2 or X3 size. If you want the X2 size to display, then you need to upload larger images.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2010
    jfriend wrote:
    The standard sizes are as follows:

L: 600x800
    XL: 768x1024
    X2: 960x1280
    X3: 1200x1600

If you are uploading images that are 800x1200, then that is not large enough to produce the X2 or X3 size. If you want the X2 size to display, then you need to upload larger images.

Thank you John -
    I'd rather not upload originals. Is there a way to display 800 X 1200 originals, and remove the "Save" button for non-owners? I realize there are a lot of ways to get around that limitation, and that eliminating the "Save" button isn't going to protect my photos in any way, but if there's a way to make it go away, that would work for me.