Canon i9100

DarkRubiTJDarkRubiTJ Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
edited January 20, 2004 in Digital Darkroom
After my Epson 1280 crapped out, I recently purchased a Canon i9100 to go along with my new Digital Rebel. So far I been very pleased with the results.

My question- I shoot raw files and change to tif to edit and manipulate in Photoshop Elements. When through editing I have resized to print size in 300 ppi. How do I determine if that is the most optimum ppi setting for the printer? Canon is vague at best on how to get the best out of thier printer. I uisually print large 8x10 or larger for viewing. The 13x19's I've printed are eye popping with great dynamic range but if I can do it better I'm open for suggestion.

Also, what archival inks would be reccomended.

Comments

• pixelmanpixelman Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited January 20, 2004
    I have found with my S9000 and i960 that just letting photoshop "resize" by specifying the image size in the PS dialog does a pretty good job. I shoot with a Canon D60 (same size sensor as your Drebel) so the effective ppi for a 13x19 (11 x 16.5 image area) is about 186 ppi.

I would suggest sticking with the OEM ink...

On the i960 there are some OK ICC profiles that help if you use Canon paper. I found a good profile for Ilford paper on dpreview.
    DarkRubiTJ wrote:
    After my Epson 1280 crapped out, I recently purchased a Canon i9100 to go along with my new Digital Rebel. So far I been very pleased with the results.

My question- I shoot raw files and change to tif to edit and manipulate in Photoshop Elements. When through editing I have resized to print size in 300 ppi. How do I determine if that is the most optimum ppi setting for the printer? Canon is vague at best on how to get the best out of thier printer. I uisually print large 8x10 or larger for viewing. The 13x19's I've printed are eye popping with great dynamic range but if I can do it better I'm open for suggestion.

Also, what archival inks would be reccomended.