Options

Singh-Ray Filters

PhotographicIdiotPhotographicIdiot Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
edited March 14, 2010 in Accessories
I got a good question. I am going to be upgrading my gear to a Nikon D90 and am wondering if the thread size of that particular camera lens would filter a Cokin P Series Holder and a P Holder Singh-Ray NGD Filter. Mainly 77mm

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,852 moderator
    edited March 14, 2010
    I got a good question. I am going to be upgrading my gear to a Nikon D90 and am wondering if the thread size of that particular camera lens would filter a Cokin P Series Holder and a P Holder Singh-Ray NGD Filter. Mainly 77mm

A Nikon D90 can take a lot of different lenses. Which lens are you considering?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2010
    the lens that comes with it the 18-105 lens.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2010
    the lens that comes with it the 18-105 lens.
    It is not so much the thread size, as there adapters for most of the thread sizes (if not all of them)......but what you need to consider more is the angle of view at 18mm and if 18mm is going to be your widest angle lens.......then match you desired filer and holder to that......in some instances it is just simpler to buy 4x6 filters and handhold them against the lens while taking your photo............I have shot this way for many many many years.......coking makes a very wide range of filter holders and lens adapters and so does Lee and Lindahl ........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,852 moderator
    edited March 14, 2010
    According to Nikon the Nikkor AF-S DX 18-105mm, f3.5-5.6G ED VR uses 67mm filters. You asked about 77mm filters. Please explain your question in a little more detail.

http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Nikon/Product/Camera-Lenses/2179/AF-S-DX-NIKKOR-18-105mm-f%252F3.5-5.6G-ED-VR.html
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2010
    Okay Ill try that. But the thing I was trying to really figure out the exact size of the thread on the D90 but I was also wondering if that 18-105 lens would fit the 77mm adapter. Because I looked on the Singh-Ray site at their sizes chart and I didn't know what size i should get. For instance on the site for the GND filters they say on there that they have them for Cokin P Holder but then in parenthesis they say "Not Supplied" What does that mean exactly? is what i am trying to get at really. Also should I get the 84X120mm or just the standard 77mm size?
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2010
    does that make sense?
  • Options
    JovesJoves Registered Users Posts: 200 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2010
    The filter is 84x120 then you get the holder for you filter size but, it is better to get the largest you can afford and use stepping rings to adapt it to your lenses. Or even better is you just holf the filter infront of the lens manually and, adjust the gradutaion to where you want it for best effect. I prefer the 4x6 over the smaller ones myself. Granted the cost more but the work better for me.
    I shoot therefore Iam.
    http://joves.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2010
    alright that sounds good thanks all.