Options

Can this be ordered at large sizes?

jnrpotographyjnrpotography Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
edited March 15, 2010 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Okay I am a bit confused here. I have looked at this link about minimum pixels for all printing sizes.http://www.smugmug.com/help/print-quality

My confusion comes in because when I open a file in photoshop it tell me that the file at 100 percent is 11x16 or a size right around there. So if a file I upload meets the minimum standard can I feel confident that if its printed huge it will look okay?

Comments

• Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2010
    Hi

The minimum resolution chart means that our printers can print the corresponding print size from the number of pixels on the chart.

Whether the final print is great really depends on the quality of the pixels, as well. So if your starting file is tack sharp, well exposed, not compressed and not full of noise, then you should expect a great print!

ann
    Okay I am a bit confused here. I have looked at this link about minimum pixels for all printing sizes.http://www.smugmug.com/help/print-quality

My confusion comes in because when I open a file in photoshop it tell me that the file at 100 percent is 11x16 or a size right around there. So if a file I upload meets the minimum standard can I feel confident that if its printed huge it will look okay?
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2010
    What I have done for several years now is to take my file (wheather 6mp, 8 or now 10) and in Photoshop change the dpi to 300........for the corresponding MP sized files it gives me an almost 8x10 or slightly larger image.......that is done under the file size box and in that dialogue box at the bottom are a couple of small boxes to check.....only check the constrain proportions.....that way PS does not add or take way any pixels......then I run that file thru Genuine Fractals......when i say I have done this for many years.....GF is now owned by OnOne Software and is a one step uprezing software......so from the 300dpi file I uprez to what ever size I want to make....usually I will start at 600 percent or something like 80X120 inches........if that file looks great we are in business and I save it.....unless it is too large to up load to SM....if it is too large I down size until I am just under the MB limit (24 or 25 now) and that is how I save and upload.......You can get a trial version of GF that allows you to save several finished files, unlike a lot of companies they do not watermark the files or disable some of the features.......they simply give you X amopunt of files that can be saved in XX amount of time (used to be 20 files or 30 days)......I used the trial version of GF4.5 while still running GF3..........since I have upgraded away from GF3 to the ONE STEP versions life has been so much easier since I do not care if my camera is not 25 or more MP........GF is simply the best uprezing software on the market......it keeps wining the accolades year after year.

Good Luck
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website