Options

Canon 5DII Firmware 2.0.3 is up!

Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
edited March 18, 2010 in Cameras
As promised/rumored, the 2.0.3 is up and available. Guess what I'll be doing when I get home tonight. :wink

You can find it here

Comments

• Options
    jchinjchin Registered Users Posts: 713 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2010
    Direct link to Canon Japan site where the firmware is located:
    http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/firm-e/eos5dmk2/firmware.html
    Johnny J. Chin ~ J. Chin Photography
    FacebookFlickrSmugMug
    SmugMug referral coupon code: ix3uDyfBU6xXs
    (use this for a discount off your SmugMug subscription)
  • Options
    hgernhardtjrhgernhardtjr Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2010
    If you want to download this evening, you better get started now, Scott ... their website is S*L*O*W! And keeps cutting out.

I think they have hordes of people trying to download the update. I've been trying all morning from work. I suspect I'll just wait until tomorrow or a few days from now and try then ... after giving it one more try this morning! And probably another a bit later. And another ...rolleyes1.gif
    — Henry —
    Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,904 moderator
    edited March 16, 2010
    Thanks lots. thumb.gifclap.gifclap.gif

These are the benefits that Canon notes:

"Firmware Version 2.0.3 incorporates five enhancements to the movie function and a fix to the manual sensor cleaning function of the EOS 5D Mark II camera.

Adds or changes the following movie frame rates.

NTSC:
    1920×1080 : 30 fps (changed - actual 29.97 fps)
    1920×1080 : 24 fps (added - actual 23.976 fps)
    640×480 : 30 fps (changed - actual 29.97 fps)
    PAL:
    1920×1080 : 25 fps (added - actual 25.0 fps)
    1920×1080 : 24 fps (added - actual 23.976 fps)
    640×480 : 25 fps (added - actual 25.0 fps)

Adds a function for manually adjusting the sound recording level (64 levels).
    Adds a histogram display (brightness or RGB) for shooting movies in manual exposure.
    Adds shutter-priority AE mode (Tv) and aperture-priority AE (Av) mode to the exposure modes for shooting movies.
    Changes the audio sampling frequency from 44.1 KHz to 48 KHz.
    Fixes a phenomenon where communication between the camera and the attached lens is sometimes interrupted after manual sensor cleaning. (This phenomenon only affects units with Firmware Version 1.2.4.)
    "
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2010
    If you want to download this evening, you better get started now, Scott ... their website is S*L*O*W! And keeps cutting out.

I think they have hordes of people trying to download the update. I've been trying all morning from work. I suspect I'll just wait until tomorrow or a few days from now and try then ... after giving it one more try this morning! And probably another a bit later. And another ...rolleyes1.gif
    Already have it - downloaded it at 7:00AM EDT, broke it up into 1.44MB parts with WinZip, and e-mailed it home (USB ports at work are disabled :cry)
  • Options
    photowinzphotowinz Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2010
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2010
    Already have it - downloaded it at 7:00AM EDT, broke it up into 1.44MB parts with WinZip, and e-mailed it home (USB ports at work are disabled :cry)

RATS! Site still running slow and the download times out about half-way through. I shoulda checked when I first got up like you aparently did, Scott — but the old eyes were too bleary and the shower felt sooo good (the old "spring forward" is a bummer around our house)! At least for this week 2.0.3 is a WANT and not a need.
    — Henry —
  • Options
    photowinzphotowinz Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2010
    RATS! Site still running slow and the download times out about half-way through. I shoulda checked when I first got up like you aparently did, Scott — but the old eyes were too bleary and the shower felt sooo good (the old "spring forward" is a bummer around our house)! At least for this week 2.0.3 is a WANT and not a need.

Really? I just downloaded it in about 45 seconds at home (in Utah). So server is up and running...
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2010
    photowinz wrote:
    Really? I just downloaded it in about 45 seconds at home (in Utah). So server is up and running...
    Ditto, 9am ET this morning no problemo
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2010
    My download was 26 minutes and the download was "chunky". (11AM-ish Central)
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2010
    Finally got it at 7:27 pm EDT ... don't know if it was their servers or our famous slow WV ISPs.clap.gif

I tried three different providers (2 here at the college and one at home) and it took a shade under 2 hours of stop-and-go-download for the ~9.4mb file...

I generally am able to up-or-download that size file in a couple of minutes or less.

On Edit 9:10pm: Installed, and OOOOH oooooh, is it NICE! Especially the grid! No ... all of it is nice!
    — Henry —
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2010
    less is more?
    Ok, I'll ask the dumb question.... why should I use 24fps instead of 30? Does it look better? I'm no videographer, I just use this little bonus feature of my 5DII to take casual clips of my kids.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2010
    Movie film is 24fps so it will have more of a movie look to it. Of course you will need something that plays back at 24fps or it will be resampled back to 30 fps (actually just a tad less than 30 on a television) because that's the frame rate of television. Some flat panel televisions can display at a true 24fps but many will just resample 24fps up to 30fps.
    Ok, I'll ask the dumb question.... why should I use 24fps instead of 30? Does it look better? I'm no videographer, I just use this little bonus feature of my 5DII to take casual clips of my kids.
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2010
    Dan7312 wrote:
    Movie film is 24fps so it will have more of a movie look to it. Of course you will need something that plays back at 24fps or it will be resampled back to 30 fps (actually just a tad less than 30 on a television) because that's the frame rate of television. Some flat panel televisions can display at a true 24fps but many will just resample 24fps up to 30fps.

Seems kind of pointless then? ne_nau.gif

Do digital HD projectors do 24p?
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2010
    Seems kind of pointless then? ne_nau.gif

No, not pointless. A lot of pro videographers have wanted/needed this and other features for various reasons including editing, as well as meeting the standards they use in their various countries.

What Canon did was provide what they could of what is being demanded and clamored for by advanced and pro video shooters.

Sure, the casual movie-shooter will overlook it, just like most users of the 5dM2 overlook 90% of the camera's features. But it is there if you need it.
    — Henry —
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2010
    cooL...and easy DL/update and the adjustable levels...very nicely executed~
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2010
    There's a problem
    From the Firmware site
    Recently we have discovered a malfunction that occurs with Firmware Version 2.0.3, in which the manual recording levels for C1/C2/C3 are changed and the camera becomes unable to record audio if the power is turned off (or if Auto power off takes effect) after registering "Sound Recording: Manual" in the camera user settings.
    We apologize very sincerely for the inconvenience, but we are going to stop making this firmware available for download. For customers who have already updated to the new firmware, when using the camera with the mode dial set to C1/C2/C3, please either set the sound recording settings to Auto.
    We are currently preparing firmware that will correct this malfunction. As soon as those preparations have been completed, we will let you know on this Web site. In the meantime, we apologize for the inconvenience this represents, but please wait until the fixed firmware is ready.

And straight from a PDF on the Canon site
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2010
    Thanks Scott. It looks like their Beta testing panel was not sufficiently broad. That's a problem that should have been caught.

I'm waiting for the next version of "Magic Lantern" myself, before I attempt the firmware upgrade.
    ziggy53