Options

Internal Card Reader Suggestion Please

JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
edited March 17, 2010 in Accessories
I bought a new internal card reader and it is SLOW to read my compact flash cards. My old external card reader was much faster.

Do any of you own an internal and know what transfer rates you get?

Compact Flash is the most important however SDHC is also needed.
Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
~ Gear Pictures

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,851 moderator
    edited March 15, 2010
    JohnBiggs wrote:
    I bought a new internal card reader and it is SLOW to read my compact flash cards. My old external card reader was much faster.

Do any of you own an internal and know what transfer rates you get?

Compact Flash is the most important however SDHC is also needed.

I have internal card slots that were original to the computer and they are indeed slow. Part of the problem is how they connect to the machine.

I wound up using an external Lexar USB 2 capable card reader and it works great when it's hooked up to a USB 2 port. (I normally keep it hooked to a slower USB 1.1 port unless I have a lot to bring into the computer.)

Firewire/IEEE 1394 readers can be extremely fast too.

If I'm in a situation where I backup the cards onto a "HyperDrive" in the field, that's probably the fastest transfer back to the computer, when I hook the loaded HyperDrive up to the computer and dump the files. It's even fast enough to just use the HyperDrive as an external drive itself.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2010
    You need USB 2.0 or Firewire interface. Anything else will be S-L-O-W.

Now.....why isnt SATA an option?
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2010
    I've never been really happy with any USB (2.0 or other-wise) reader, regardless of whether it was connected to the MBO via an external port or a header on the MBO.

The only thing I've found with which I'm pseudo-happy is the Sandisk Extreme FireWire Reader - Firewire 400/800. When it works, it really works fast. But, there are instances when I have to physically unplug it from the computer and plug it back in before it will read a card. When this happens it usually only happens once during a card-reading party and the speed of this reader when I have 5 or 10 or 15 4GB cards to read is really nice.
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2010
    The only thing I've found with which I'm pseudo-happy is the Sandisk Extreme FireWire Reader - Firewire 400/800. When it works, it really works fast. But, there are instances when I have to physically unplug it from the computer and plug it back in before it will read a card. When this happens it usually only happens once during a card-reading party and the speed of this reader when I have 5 or 10 or 15 4GB cards to read is really nice.
    Another vote for the Sandisk Firewire reader; Weirdly enough I've never had the problem described by Scott ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    hgernhardtjrhgernhardtjr Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2010
    Actually, I use a $60 INTERNAL SATA card reader/writer, that can read as fast as the card can deliver, up to SATA speeds. It blows my old firewire800 reader out of the water, and I love it!

The DigiDrive reader is from ADDONICS ( http://addonics.com/products/flash_memory_reader/AEIDDSAU.asp ) and is also available in an external unit that plugs into either eSATA or USB.

The internal one I have connects to a SATA port and a floppy power plug, just like any SATA drive. (Both have a second variant, one that cannot write ... for forinsics-type uses, BTW). A CF-card-ONLY SATA reader is also available.

Additionally, the DigiDrive actually makes a CF card capable of being a boot device if you wish. Very nice!

Since I'm using a Core i7 computer so I can edit HD video with ease, I figured a fast internal card reader was a necessity ... and it has worked like a charm. I did have to order the $5 adapter bracket so it would fit in my 5" drive bay (no 3.5" bay in the ALX chassis). I received the DigiDrive and bracket in three days from the West Coast, and their service people respond within an hour to any written eMail inquiries. So, FWIW, I highly recommend Addonics and this SATA reader. (Disclaimer: I have no connection to them other than being a satisfied buyer)
    — Henry —
    Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2010
    Actually, I use a $60 INTERNAL SATA card reader/writer, that can read as fast as the card can deliver, up to SATA speeds. It blows my old firewire800 reader out of the water, and I love it!

The DigiDrive reader is from ADDONICS ( http://addonics.com/products/flash_memory_reader/AEIDDSAU.asp ) and is also available in an external unit that plugs into either eSATA or USB.

The internal one I have connects to a SATA port and a floppy power plug, just like any SATA drive. (Both have a second variant, one that cannot write ... for forinsics-type uses, BTW). A CF-card-ONLY SATA reader is also available.

Additionally, the DigiDrive actually makes a CF card capable of being a boot device if you wish. Very nice!

Since I'm using a Core i7 computer so I can edit HD video with ease, I figured a fast internal card reader was a necessity ... and it has worked like a charm. I did have to order the $5 adapter bracket so it would fit in my 5" drive bay (no 3.5" bay in the ALX chassis). I received the DigiDrive and bracket in three days from the West Coast, and their service people respond within an hour to any written eMail inquiries. So, FWIW, I highly recommend Addonics and this SATA reader. (Disclaimer: I have no connection to them other than being a satisfied buyer)

I have questions about your experience with this unit.

Do you have problems swapping cards on this device? Some SATA readers permanently disconnect on eject because of the way SATA is handled.

What are the actualy MB/s speed you are getting? I ask because I notice it does not do UDMA for CF.

Thank You,
    John
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I have internal card slots that were original to the computer and they are indeed slow. Part of the problem is how they connect to the machine.

I wound up using an external Lexar USB 2 capable card reader and it works great when it's hooked up to a USB 2 port. (I normally keep it hooked to a slower USB 1.1 port unless I have a lot to bring into the computer.)

Firewire/IEEE 1394 readers can be extremely fast too.

If I'm in a situation where I backup the cards onto a "HyperDrive" in the field, that's probably the fastest transfer back to the computer, when I hook the loaded HyperDrive up to the computer and dump the files. It's even fast enough to just use the HyperDrive as an external drive itself.

AKAIK, my i7 x58 board is all USB 2.0. I actually get slightly faster transfer speeds via SD, but CF is the most important to me.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2010
    As Addonics explains, it depends on the "type" of SATA connection on your MB. Some are/allow-for hot swapping, some do not. Mine allow for it.

I just stick the card in, and it now shows/displays; pull it out and it does not; put another in and it shows, etc. There is no need to reboot or manually refresh a device when you change the card(s). The flash media is automatically refreshed.

However, if your SATA ports are older "non hot swap", then yes, you would have to manually refresh in Device Manager. See this sheet: http://addonics.com/support/user_guides/digidrive/AEIDDSAU.pdf

Actual speeds? I have no way to tell. It is simply a heck of a lot faster dumping my 16gb Extreme III than anything else I have ever used, taking half the time (or faster) than my old firewire reader. They claim a maximum data rate of 1500 Mbits/sec using the SATA connection, which is 3-4 times greater than theoretical USB max. I am definitely seeing a major time savings when dumping my Extreme III and newer IV cards. Ditto SDHC 6 and 10 cards. You might contact their tech support re udma ... they get back quickly.

Here is one review of the external variant with some performance specs ... it uses the same board: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Addonics/Pocket_eSata_USB_DigiDrive
    You might note that their CF-ONLY reader is even faster.

Oh, I can also recommend their PCI-E two-external-eSATA-port card. I did have to ask tech support a question on its installation, and they got back with the right answer in just about an hour. If you don't have SATA, you might consider one (they also have internal variants).

Hope the info helps ...
    — Henry —
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,851 moderator
    edited March 17, 2010
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote:

Agreed ... but it refers to their older CF-only reader which is why I did not purchase it a couple years back and went with the firewire reader. My experience with their new multi-card internal DigiDrive reader has been nothing but positive and transparent on my 3-month-old Core i7.
    — Henry —
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2010
    Agreed ... but it refers to their older CF-only reader which is why I did not purchase it a couple years back and went with the firewire reader. My experience with their new multi-card internal DigiDrive reader has been nothing but positive and transparent on my 3-month-old Core i7.

I'm really trying to stay internal with at least SDHC + CF. I have an external reader but it's always in the way. My new internal is out of the way, but SLOW.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2010
    JohnBiggs wrote:
    I'm really trying to stay internal with at least SDHC + CF. I have an external reader but it's always in the way. My new internal is out of the way, but SLOW.

If the $60+ price is not a problem for you, then their internal multi-card SATA DigiDrive like I have might just meet the bill for you. I debated their same-board external, but nixed it due to desk clutter. And the $19 internals did not cut it speed-wise. I am very glad I risked it, and with a new-ish computer and their new internal multi-card DigiDrive (linked in my first post above) have experienced NO problems in the past month.

A risk, I know, cause $60 is quite a bit to risk on a sight-unseen item ... but I have found it well worthwhile.
    — Henry —
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2010
    If the $60+ price is not a problem for you, then their internal multi-card SATA DigiDrive like I have might just meet the bill for you. I debated their same-board external, but nixed it due to desk clutter. And the $19 internals did not cut it speed-wise. I am very glad I risked it, and with a new-ish computer and their new internal multi-card DigiDrive (linked in my first post above) have experienced NO problems in the past month.

A risk, I know, cause $60 is quite a bit to risk on a sight-unseen item ... but I have found it well worthwhile.

When it comes to saving me time, the $60 will pay for itself. $60 is a lot for a card reader, but not a lot when it comes to what it will save.
    ~ Gear Pictures