Options

Dealing with Family and Business

JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
edited March 17, 2010 in Mind Your Own Business
Am I being selfish??? Probably.

Family always asks me to photograph this or that, or sometimes I just take pictures of their kids and they want the digital files. However, there comes a time where giving family free service takes too much time. I often hear the 'Take pictures and I'll buy them off the site', hah!

How do you approach this?

I am involved with the family business too. They wanted a website but didn't want to pay for it, I refused to do it all myself so working with my brother we were able to setup a website. I would have normally charged $1200-1500. For the banner we used some stock photos of business looking people. It's good enough in my opinion.

Now they want me to take a similar photo of the real employees. My photography is another business to me. I'm expected to also do this for free. Spend hours on a set of profile photos for the banner.

I sure don't know what to do. I need to help the family business grow, but since there is a sufficient banner in place, I feel they are taking advantage of me.

Argg.
Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
~ Gear Pictures

Comments

• Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2010
    I know how you feel. I've been approached by family asking me about the possibility of shooting family weddings when/if that ever comes to pass. I shut that down in a hurry with the explaination that a photographer can't work a contract and be a guest at the same time. The photog can't devote the attention to the job that is required which cheats the B&G. At the same time the photog can't enjoy the party to the extent that a guest would - cheating the photog of that bit of happiness. They came to understand.

Buy your situation appears to be a bit different....

Whatever the family business is, do the owners provide you with free service/product? Does it even come close to the $1,000 - $1,500 savings they realized in the building of their web-site? How about the hours they are asking you to invest in the photography - that's going to amount to a non-trivial about of change as well, especially when you add in the investment (time) you are going to put into the post-production work.

Do the others in the family business really appreciate/know the market value of what it is they are asking you to do?

Looked at another way .... you invested mostly time in the building of the web-site and will be investing more time in the photography. The question here is, "What was the trade-off that you had to make in devoting that time to the project?" Time from the family? Time from your photography business? What value did you receive or are likely to receive from that investment of time .... given that you are involved with the family business. In basis business terms, is your Return:Investment ration greater than 1.0?

No matter which way you go, it would appear likely that there is no win-win solution. Either the others in the family business will feel that you aren't contributing as much as you should or you will feel taken advantage of. Don't know the answer to this one. I really, really wish you good luck in discovering the happy compromise.
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2010
    Working for family is normally a lose lose scenario.

In my opinion it is better to have them a little bit peeved that you won't do it than a whole lot peeved, with potential relationship ending consequences by doing work for family.

But if you must work for family...do it for free...it is when the need for compensation gets included that the problems start.
    And yes they will take advantage of you so...refer back to paragraph one about not working for family.
  • Options
    ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2010
    I will shoot for my immediate family and my wife's immediate family for free, even offer to do it without being asked.
    Extended family gets a little more iffy.

But that is just me.
  • Options
    WachelWachel Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2010
    My take on it. Never charge close family. BUT...make sure it is VERY clear that your work and paid gigs come first.
    Michael

<Insert some profound quote here to try and seem like a deep thinker>

Michael Wachel Photography

Facebook