Options

Old journal style - browser back button

pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
edited March 18, 2010 in Bug Reporting
In the old Journal style, viewing a photo in the lightbox, the browser back button does not properly take the viewer back to the gallery as it does in the SmugMug style. This may be confusing to visitors.

Example: http://pilotdave.smugmug.com/Other/Package-Deals/11534140_qgRmm.

Try clicking on one photo then click the browser's back button.

Tested only in firefox.

EDIT: Unfortunately when you click the link, you won't have the option to go back... you'd have to browse around a bit and end up on a journal style page.

Dave

Comments

• Options
    docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited March 18, 2010
    Dave, I started with a new tab and opened your link. Naturally there was no back option. Once I left that page and came back there was. Each gallery I visited after that in any style and lightbox had the back button active. Can you tell me how you are getting to the journal style lightbox that is causing that? Do you see the same problem on other sites?

--Doc
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2010
    This is just how Smugmug's Lightbox image display works. It doesn't go to a new browser page and thus doesn't make an entry for the back-button. It just overlays the image display on top of the current page (you can see that the URL doesn't change when you open a lightbox display). To go back, you hit "Close" at the top of the screen or you click on the image itself.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2010
    jfriend wrote:
    This is just how Smugmug's Lightbox image display works. It doesn't go to a new browser page and thus doesn't make an entry for the back-button. It just overlays the image display on top of the current page (you can see that the URL doesn't change when you open a lightbox display). To go back, you hit "Close" at the top of the screen or you click on the image itself.

But it works differently in the SmugMug style. I tested other Old Journal view galleries and found the same thing.

Clicking on my current homepage slideshow (advertising packages) brings you back to this same old journal style gallery. Clicking on any of the photos opens the lightbox. From there, clicking the back button brings you back to the homepage. Try the same thing with a SmugMug style gallery and the back button basically just closes the lightbox. This is the most user friendly behavior.

Dave