Options

Budapest suggestions/recommendations

El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins
I am headed to Budapest in late March and I will have a Fri. and Sat. available to venture forth for some photographic activities. Having already been to the city proper (which in itself is full of photographic possibilities), I am looking for suggestions on places to set my sights (and lenses) outside of the city proper.

Any recommendations on a more bucolic destination for separate day trips on Fri. and Sat., or a possible overnight? Suggestions for some off the tourist beat locations, some potentially unique venues to strike out to, with the aim of capturing the local colors, architecture, scenes?

Thanks in advance for your tips, suggestions and recommendations!

Comments

• Options
    MoxMox Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2010
    I recommend checking out Visegrád near the bend in the Danube. The castle and bridge are both worth spending some time on. Unfortunately, most of my time spent there was in the cities, as well, and all my photos are non-digital, so I can't share the few I have of the castle.

Can't wait to see what you come back with!
  • Options
    El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2010
    Thanks Mox!

I'll put Visegrád on the list to check out! I hope that the weather cooperates!

I appreciate your reply.

Thanks!
  • Options
    JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2010
    Great Town. I went to grad school and met my wife there.

I'd suggest checking out the Szechenyi baths in the city park. Varosliget should also be nice in March.

For street, Vaci utca, the main drag, should be interesting. The city itself is sort of repetitive on the Pest side, but castle hill in Buda is cool.

Also on the Buda side is the northernmost Islamic turbe in Europe- the tomb of Gul Baba.
    http://www.museum.hu/museum/index_en.php?ID=27

Definitely worth a look.

Also, and I can't recommend this strongly enough, if you have some time ( a few days) catch the night train to Belgrade. It's cheap, and it is an awesome city.
    Cave ab homine unius libri