*** I need your help ***

ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
edited April 25, 2010 in People
I need your help, my dear peopleshooterfriends!

Seemingly I've been a bit on the quiet side lately, but in reality I've been quite active, actually. I've been cleaning up this forum getting rid of spam and moving threads that are not supposed to be here to the right places, even those from years ago. Also, I've been looking at other forums, specifically the People shooting (sub)forums to see what they do to keep things interesting in the forum. There are a few exceptions, but the general conclusion: they don't.

I want to make the People forum even more of a favorite People shooting place; more interesting and informative for people shooters of all levels. More appealing to post and to reply. How do we get more people over here and, also very important, how do we keep you/them here? I'm the People forum moderator, but they way I see it I am like a janitor or a handyman. I keep things clean and fix things for you; I work for you guys to help make/keep this a nice place. So, I'd like your input!

Specifically:
  • Do you have any suggestions, big or small, that will help achieve the above mentioned? What do you think would be a great addition to the People forum? or, what change would be needed in your opinion to make things better here? (Note: I'm talking about the People forum specifically; If you have suggestions for Dgrin in general those are greatly appreciated also, but should be placed here.)
  • I'd like to get a booklist together; I have a few that I'll put on there but I'd like to know from you what books, specifically about people shooting, would you want to recommend to your dgrin friends? If you have a small review of them, that would be great, if not, no problem.
  • Feedback on the People Photo Challenges is much appreciated!
  • Do you have anything you'd like added to the >>> People Photography Resources: Tips, Tricks and Tutorials <<< thread?

In general: *ANY* suggestions/changes/etc that you can think of to improve this forum, I'd love to hear! You can post right here in this thread, or PM me if you prefer not to be in the spotlight. All PMs will be handled confidentially if you like.

So: I'm listening:ear

Comments

• Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2010
    Hi Ivar!

Thanks for asking. I am mostly a lurker, but portrait photography is something I have been trying to learn.

My observation is that the original people forum has been subdivided a couple of times (street, weddings, gofigure) and that each of those has gone on to add experts/artists in residence and folks willing to lead learning and discussion threads.

People doesn't have that at the moment and I would love to see it. Experts or assignments or discussion threads on technique, posing, lighting, business development, etc.

Those are my two cents. I hope you are well.

ann
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2010
    Hi Ann wave.gif I'm good, thanks!
    Ann McRae wrote:
    My observation is that the original people forum has been subdivided a couple of times (street, weddings, gofigure) and that each of those has gone on to add experts/artists in residence and folks willing to lead learning and discussion threads.

People doesn't have that at the moment and I would love to see it. Experts or assignments or discussion threads on technique, posing, lighting, business development, etc.
    Yes, those that have been here from the beginning of Dgrin may remember even more divisions; Originally named "People & Pets" it has undergone at least 2 name changes, and in the last few years the addition of the mentioned (sub) forums.

Thanks for the suggestions! As mentioned, People, among other forums, has no AIR at this time. A good AIR is a very hard to find, but we're constantly looking!

Even if we find an AIR, he/she needs to know what kind of 'learning and discussion' threads you want to see. What do you specifically want to read/learn about? ear.gif
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2010
    Ann has some great ideas...

Specifically, some of the things that are explained over and over again are things like...

Fill Flash Outdoors
    Wireless Lighting
    Studio Lighting
    High Key

Im personally not a fan of AIRs. There have been recent instances where AIRs were inconsistant with visits unless they were trying to sell something...or show off some work they had done....and doing little to help our daily visitors to improve their own work.

YMMV:D
    edited March 18, 2010
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Ann has some great ideas...

Specifically, some of the things that are explained over and over again are things like...

Fill Flash Outdoors
    Wireless Lighting
    Studio Lighting
    High Key
    Thanks, I'll add them to the list thumb.gif
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Im personally not a fan of AIRs. There have been recent instances where AIRs were inconsistant with visits unless they were trying to sell something...or show off some work they had done....and doing little to help our daily visitors to improve their own work.

YMMV:D
    I agree with you here, not so much as in that I'm not a fan of AIRs, but that a lot of AIRs frequent inconsistently. And THAT is most likely one of the most difficult things about finding 'good' AIRs; They not only need to be 'good' in their job and explaining it, but they need to have the time and willingness to visit frequently and consistently.
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2010
    I've been thinking of this very topic for some time Ivar...thanks for bringing this up.

It's probably a good thing to have split the people forum into a few different groups. That having said, there still, in my mind anyway, is a need for a separation of those actually attempting good imagery and those who just want to show their kid with ice cream all over their face.

A separate kid thread would be one suggestion. Dgrin is open to all members and at times wading through such a wide variety of subjects/topics, it makes for a daunting task, especially when there isn't lot's of time to view or comment.

Participation should always be encouraged from the novice to the pro. We do have members that simply like to take some snapshots, post them and say, "What do you think?". On the other side we have those who shoot fashion, seniors, models and the like.

Lighting set ups, discussion of methodology, approach, concepts, etc. could take place in a more "pro" type forum. In this forum, whether one is a pro or not, would post their best attempts, regardless of their experience. This would be a learning forum, an improving forum. We have many that take their photography seriously and truly wish to improve. I believe we would have more participation and the image quality would improve by leaps and bounds (not to mention the photographers...Laughing.gif).

As it stands now, we go from OOF shots in a thread to a beautiful portrait to amusement park captures with a person off in the distance..all in one thread. There are numerous forms of people photography. I'm pleased to see "street" have it's own discussions as well as weddings and go figure. This has helped tremendously.

A "put your best foot forward" type forum would be a wise choice...and may draw more participation from knowledgeable pros who only show once in awhile. We could tap into resources and discussions that would take people to new levels...which is what a photography forum should be about, IMHO.

I am not in favor of "AIR's either for what it's worth.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2010
    People is too generic and often covered in other forums, sports, street, etc.

Get rid of people and just create two new categories:

Modeling/Studio
    Kids/Pets

I'm into modeling and studio shooting. When I see the word people it doesn't encourage me to discuss modeling or studio shooting/shots.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2010
    A BIG hats off to you Ivar for all of your janitoring AND for everything else! :) You are too kind to ask us all what we think! :D

John makes some good points...about the category being broad.... And Swartzy about blending snaps with portaits, not mixing well.

I am an aspiring (ie getting better on a daily basis) natural light portrait photographer of children, families, babies. I don't see myself in the "modeling" category or the "studio" category, but Kids/Pets sounds like it is going to be a forum for "around the house" snapshots. Plus, pets aren't people, lol.

People is indeed very broad..but honestly there aren't that many posts to weed through so it is manageable. I just click on what interests me so it is currently working just fine IMHO! Too many sub-groups can shelter things too much.

Portrait, Modeling, Studio
    Snapshots, Family, Pets

Just a big THANKS again Ivar for the great job you are doing! bowdown.gif
    edited March 18, 2010
    Dave, John, Kelly: thanks for taking the time to post here thumb.gif
    I'm going to reply to all of your replies in a single one, since they all seem to be on the same subject.

First of all a general remark about adding/splitting forums: I've been a moderator through at least 3 of them, and we (mods) consider them to be a 'big deal'. It takes a major amount of time and energy to get that done for a variety of reasons. (At some points I imagine it to feel like the feeling a mouse has when giving birth to elephant-triplets rolleyes1.gif) That having said, if it is better for the forum, it will still happen.
    One of the biggest reasons is the actual naming/splitting; How will the current forum be split/what forum will be added. There usually is a downside for pretty much all options. (New) forums should be named so that, in theory, images only go in to one of the (sub)forums and that it is not a constant toss-up as to which forum it should go in to. Of course, some photos will fit in more than one forum, but there is very little that can be done about it.
    For instance sports vs people; Sports photos usually contain people. However, common sense seems to win here. If it's about the person it goes in People, if it's about the sport it goes in Sport. I've rarely ever moved a thread from People to Sports. This is usually pretty clear, some other shots can be more of a grey area.

In general I, personally, am more a fan of splitting forums by subject as opposed to by 'quality' (amateur vs pro, for example) because that kind of splitting is very subjective; When are you a pro, when are you an amateur? also, different people may have very different thoughts about that.
    Another reason why I don't want to split up amateurs/pros specifically is that I want pros to comment on amateur's photos and the other way around and feel that splitting them up may hinder that.

Studio vs Non-studio is clear, for instance. Anything taken in the studio goes in to the first, and the rest in the latter. Clear as can be. It is not a useful split, forumwise, though.

Modeling/Studio vs Kids is going to be more difficult already. What if the model is a kid or if the kid was shot in the studio? It may seem very a very dumb/simple question, but is actually quite important because it is not clear anymore. People looking for those kind of shots, help for those kind of shots, etc need to know exactly where to go, or it may turn off people from the forum. The same goes for posting.

The same goes for Portrait, Modeling, Studio vs Snapshots, Family:
    What may be 'snapshots' to you and me, may be genuine attempts to improve someone's skills for someone else. And, what if you have portrait photo of a family member?

I'm not saying it can/will not happen like suggested, but I want to make sure you understand how difficult of a thing forums are, really. The basic thought: It needs to be clear (at least for the vast majority of shots) where shots should be posted.

Dave: I assume you mean kid forum, and not kid thread? Also, let me get back to you on your paragraph that starts with "Lighting set ups, discussion of methodology, approach, concepts, etc.". I want to think that over a bit more.

John: When you do look for modeling or studio shooting/shots topics, where do you go? People? Technique? another forum?

Kelly: Thanks :curtsey

General note: I know pets are considered to be part of the family by a lot of people. They may even act like people sometimes. As far as this forum goes though, they are not people :D and should be posted in 'Other Cool Shots' thumb.gif
    edited March 18, 2010
    Requests for new (sub)forums are a major thing, which I'm happy with, but for everyone reading: I'm also happy with 'small' requests :D
    edited March 18, 2010
    IMO....

Id rather NOT split "people" into smaller pieces...for some of the very reasons Ivar brought up....but also because it will limit traffic. I was a member on photographycorner forums and it is split up (or was) much like the suggestions, but it slowed traffic, and discouraged posting to some degree.

A monthly discussion on a certain topic would be awesome...and empowering to newbs.....especially with a sticky where they could all be found.
  • JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2010
    JohnBiggs wrote:
    Kids/Pets

Good Idea. That would be one forum I would never visit.:D
    Cave ab homine unius libri
    edited March 19, 2010
    ivar wrote:
    John: When you do look for modeling or studio shooting/shots topics, where do you go? People? Technique? another forum?

Basically I don't post modelling here because I don't feel there is a place for it other than go figure, but I don't do a lot of those.

I'll discuss many studio technique things in technique and thats about it. I did place pics in Go Figure because there is a place for it.

I wish I did more sports so I could post some. 'People' is just so broad.

Overall I think the forum as a whole needs more viewers. I try to encourage others to come here.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2010
    Pro
    One of the suggestions that I made to Baldy or Andy at WPPI was that we actually do need a Pro forum. While I don't mind making comments on the amatuer threads sometimes, I also see a need for a separate forum for the SmugMugPro - most of whom are people/wedding/event/portrait shooters.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
    edited March 19, 2010
    In response to Ivar and the comments on Pro vs. Amateur formus...Hmmm that is such a tough one! Like Ivar points out the line is SO fine sometimes. I'd love to keep it one group if possible (mostly because I profit greatly from pro advice, and seeing pro work lol!) Seriously though. I think the definition of pro is difficult. If it is simply "those who do this for money" as some have suggested...I'm still not sure the level of expertise will always be the same! I've certainly seen some people who call themselves professionals and have questionable backgrounds in photography. There are some that even make me scratch my head and wonder who would actually pay for those shots... And then there are some people who DON'T call themselves pro and work as doctors or lawyers who take the most ASTOUNDING photographs I've ever seen! I think if groups have to be separated to weed out true amateurs (myself included) then the definition of pro needs to be layed down and that just seems so hard to do!
    edited March 19, 2010
    I don't mind the pro and amature work in the same forums. But if I'm going to share modeling work, I'd like to share it with others who are interested in that aspect. At the same time, I don't want to see the typical family snapshots. Even an amature can add another light source, control depth, etc.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2010
    There seems to be a quasi-concensus that it would be good to separate the "snapshot" types from the "upscale" types. Having a "pro" forum would have advantages but then those who are serious about their photography and not "pro" may be a bit intimidated, posting and participating less.

A forum specified for those who truly attempt good imagery would encourage more participation..even from those who just purchased their "Rebel".....as they too, should they like to participate, will think about what it is they display and strive for excellence. I'm in agreement with Kidzmom in the regard of "Pro's" who earn their full time living but have about as much artistic talent as a brick......

I belong to a couple other forums where the "pro" stuff gets to be about business more than imagery..and the images are...well...average...some below unfortunately.

Those of us who are parents/grandparents, love to see pics of kids but most, one would think, would want to see quality shots of such. Kid pics in the same thread as say a model shoot just doesn't make sense. Some don't care about studio lighting, some do. Having an "upscale" type forum would encourage all types of shots, from "good" children portraits to HS seniors, to models, to composites, to business headshots, etc.

I guess with all my verbage, the point is: It would be great to have a forum to share one's best work, share set ups, concepts, and exchange of ideas from like minded participants. We have some here that seriously strive for excellence and would benefit as they would not only read but participate in the discussion.

For those who want to post the dog licking an ice cream cone, well, then of course there is another forum for that, but please....not next to a fashion shoot :D:D:D:D
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2010
    Trouble maker ... you're just trying to make the PEOPLE forum more fun that the WEDDING forum!!! rolleyes1.gif Just kidding.

I hear ya about the AIRs, I wish they would be posting more & be more interactive, but I guess that comes with the fame ... ne_nau.gif

Pro / amateur. I totally see both sides. I do wish more pros would post here though. I *know* we have some awesome people on here, every once in a while I sneak on the blogs, and see what people are posting there. I'm too lazy myself to post sometimes (rolleyes1.gif), BUT it would be sooo much more fun when everybody would try to ditch in thumb.gif

I started doing a weekly thread on the wedding forum, which sometimes gets a LOT of response, .... sometimes ... not so much, but hey, maybe it would be worth a shot, and you could come up with some better subjects than me thumb.gif

As for the challenges .... dear everybody ... post your pics!! (says the ones that doesn't participate in that challenge / BUT I shoot mostly weddings ... so ... rolleyes1.gif). It's really fun to see everybody's entries.

All in one I'd say you're doing a great job Ivar clap.gif. I am actually REALLY enjoying the people-challenge-winner-interviews, those are really fun to read & some of you guys images are mind blowing!!

Let's participate more ... and make this a really FUN PRO forum, where newbies should feel free to join in cheerleader.gif
    edited March 20, 2010
    You're so sweet Angie and I always appreciate your comments! I think you've nailed the situation perfectly.

I always feel bad when posts go unanswered and this sometimes happens here. It shouldn't! It seems we have a lot of lurkers because posts get lots of views but sometimes no/few responses. Someone is thinking SOMETHING when they look--so why not post it! People want to hear what everyone is thinking! I just don't know what could be done to encourage more participation/posting.

Swartzy is right that there does seem to be some interest in making a snapshot vs upscale division...I'm not sure how it would work, but I still think one group can work. I understand the top pros probabally don't adore posting after an "ordinary" shot or upscale "attempt" lol, but they have to remember that they are encouraging/inspiring/helping others...plus gaining input from other pros at the same time. I think that is the advantage of keeping everyone together. I would never post on a pro forum. I even hesitate to post here for fear of the heat! I do know that posting is what it takes to get better though and if there really was a pro side then many of us would be forced to post elsewhere and would stop progressing.

I appreiate Jeff's interest in encouraging/empowering newbies...and also in taking the time to explain things to those who are new. In my recent post this week I learned a heck of a lot from him. That for me was so valuable! Little things like that help a whole lot! Seasoned photogs helping out is why I come here!! iloveyou.gif

Keep us posted on your thoughts Ivar..and on any modifications you have in mind. Thanks.
    edited March 20, 2010
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Id rather NOT split "people" into smaller pieces...for some of the very reasons Ivar brought up....but also because it will limit traffic. I was a member on photographycorner forums and it is split up (or was) much like the suggestions, but it slowed traffic, and discouraged posting to some degree.
    This is a thing I'm potentially worried about.

jeffreaux2 wrote:
    A monthly discussion on a certain topic would be awesome...and empowering to newbs.....especially with a sticky where they could all be found.
    If we do start 'discussions', in any way, form or shape, what is a good 'running time'? You say a month? What about shorter or longer?
    I can sort of see that a month would be a long time, and things can start to get 'dull' after a certain while. I don't want to stretch things just for the sake of making the month, if you know what I mean.
    On the other hand, I can see that some topics warrant a lot more than a week for instance.
    Anyone has any thoughts on this? ear.gif
    edited March 20, 2010
    JohnBiggs wrote:
    Basically I don't post modelling here because I don't feel there is a place for it other than go figure, but I don't do a lot of those.

I'll discuss many studio technique things in technique and thats about it. I did place pics in Go Figure because there is a place for it.

I wish I did more sports so I could post some. 'People' is just so broad.

Overall I think the forum as a whole needs more viewers. I try to encourage others to come here.
    My hope, but apparently that doesn't really work in real life at, is that because 'modeling' photos "don't go anywhere else, they would be placed in people"...

The forum as a whole has quite a good amount of viewers, and has increased a lot since I've been on board. I remember our 10.000th member getting on board, and now look at it: We're well over 45.000! That having said, it is not the amount of members I'm interested in but the amount of *active* members.
    Thanks for encouraging others! thumb.gif
    edited March 20, 2010
    ChatKat wrote:
    One of the suggestions that I made to Baldy or Andy at WPPI was that we actually do need a Pro forum. While I don't mind making comments on the amatuer threads sometimes, I also see a need for a separate forum for the SmugMugPro - most of whom are people/wedding/event/portrait shooters.
    This is not really specific to the People forum question/suggestion I think, if I understand you correctly.

Also, please remember that although Dgrin is sponsored by SmugMug (and except for some of the support forums) we don't specifically cater to SmugMuggers/Smugpros. Everyone is welcome here thumb.gif
    edited March 20, 2010
    kidzmom wrote:
    In response to Ivar and the comments on Pro vs. Amateur formus...Hmmm that is such a tough one! Like Ivar points out the line is SO fine sometimes. I'd love to keep it one group if possible (mostly because I profit greatly from pro advice, and seeing pro work lol!) Seriously though. I think the definition of pro is difficult. If it is simply "those who do this for money" as some have suggested...I'm still not sure the level of expertise will always be the same! I've certainly seen some people who call themselves professionals and have questionable backgrounds in photography. There are some that even make me scratch my head and wonder who would actually pay for those shots... And then there are some people who DON'T call themselves pro and work as doctors or lawyers who take the most ASTOUNDING photographs I've ever seen! I think if groups have to be separated to weed out true amateurs (myself included) then the definition of pro needs to be layed down and that just seems so hard to do!
    THis is one of the main reasons I don't like the separation to be based on 'pro' vs 'non-pro', and why I think a 'split', if at all, would be better based on subject or type of images.
    edited March 20, 2010
    Swartzy wrote:
    There seems to be a quasi-concensus that it would be good to separate the "snapshot" types from the "upscale" types. Having a "pro" forum would have advantages but then those who are serious about their photography and not "pro" may be a bit intimidated, posting and participating less.
    I don't think it is the right time yet to speak of any consensus whatsoever at this time, especially since less than a handful of people spoke out about snapshot vs upscale shots. I'd say that it's *AN* idea that is floating around among some members.

Now, you mention 'pros' and you mention 'those that are serious about their photography'. I think those two categories are very much unrelated. I've seen pros that are absolutely not serious about their photography, skills or improving them, and I've seen it the other way around.
    Swartzy wrote:
    I belong to a couple other forums where the "pro" stuff gets to be about business more than imagery..and the images are...well...average...some below unfortunately.
    One thing I really want to keep out of this forum, is the business side (think Releases, business setup, etc). We have a great forum for that here, Mind Your Own Business thumb.gif People is a 'shots' forum and I want to keep this for people shots, either directly or indirectly.
    Swartzy wrote:
    I guess with all my verbage, the point is: It would be great to have a forum to share one's best work, share set ups, concepts, and exchange of ideas from like minded participants. We have some here that seriously strive for excellence and would benefit as they would not only read but participate in the discussion.
    When you say 'share set ups' are you talking studio setups specifically? Also, we have The Refinery, where you can post People shots of course thumb.gif
    edited March 20, 2010
    Agnieszka wrote:
    Trouble maker ... you're just trying to make the PEOPLE forum more fun that the WEDDING forum!!! rolleyes1.gif Just kidding.
    lol3.gif
    Agnieszka wrote:
    I hear ya about the AIRs, I wish they would be posting more & be more interactive, but I guess that comes with the fame ... ne_nau.gif

Pro / amateur. I totally see both sides. I do wish more pros would post here though. I *know* we have some awesome people on here, every once in a while I sneak on the blogs, and see what people are posting there. I'm too lazy myself to post sometimes (rolleyes1.gif), BUT it would be sooo much more fun when everybody would try to ditch in thumb.gif

I started doing a weekly thread on the wedding forum, which sometimes gets a LOT of response, .... sometimes ... not so much, but hey, maybe it would be worth a shot, and you could come up with some better subjects than me thumb.gif
    I don't mind one topic getting more responses than others, as long as they are an addition to this forum/for everyone.
    Agnieszka wrote:
    As for the challenges .... dear everybody ... post your pics!! (says the ones that doesn't participate in that challenge / BUT I shoot mostly weddings ... so ... rolleyes1.gif). It's really fun to see everybody's entries.
    I hear a lot of wedding photos have people in them nowadays, so start posting! lol3.gif
    Agnieszka wrote:
    All in one I'd say you're doing a great job Ivar clap.gif. I am actually REALLY enjoying the people-challenge-winner-interviews, those are really fun to read & some of you guys images are mind blowing!!
    I like those interviews, kinda makes this forum more personal in a way?
    Agnieszka wrote:
    Let's participate more ... and make this a really FUN PRO forum, where newbies should feel free to join in cheerleader.gif
    That's an interesting way of putting it, hmmm....
    edited March 20, 2010
    kidzmom wrote:
    Keep us posted on your thoughts Ivar..and on any modifications you have in mind. Thanks.
    My thoughts.... hmmmm.... Okay, some random ones then:

When I posted this thread, I honestly wasn't really thinking about splitting this forum in to different forums, or adding sub-forums.

I think there needs to be a very specific and clear goal if we were to add a forum; Not just 'to improve the people forum' (and a reasonable expectation of achieving that goal).

What I feel, reading some of the posts, is that especially those that have passed the 'snapshot' stage are in need of something more here; I'm thinking 'challenge' or 'challenge to improve' is something that could be missing for them? ear.gif
    edited March 20, 2010
    I would also like to ask others and also new members/those that haven't posted here a lot for their opinion. Don't be shy, you can do it! :D
    edited March 20, 2010
    ivar wrote:
    This is a thing I'm potentially worried about.

If we do start 'discussions', in any way, form or shape, what is a good 'running time'? You say a month? What about shorter or longer?
    I can sort of see that a month would be a long time, and things can start to get 'dull' after a certain while. I don't want to stretch things just for the sake of making the month, if you know what I mean.
    On the other hand, I can see that some topics warrant a lot more than a week for instance.
    Anyone has any thoughts on this? ear.gif

A good running time...really...would be....forever. Seriously.

If this were set up like Niks "Assignments" in "Technique".....or at least catalogued in that way, then those topics of discussion would be there...alive so to speak....for folks to refer to and participate in perpetually.

Some of the older "assignments" get brought to the top from time to time.

You could start a new discussion anytime....but that doesn't "kill" the previous one(s).ne_nau.gif
  • du8diedu8die Registered Users Posts: 358 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2010
    ivar wrote:
    When you say 'share set ups' are you talking studio setups specifically? Also, we have The Refinery, where you can post People shots of course

When we lost "The Whipping Post" - we lost something special. It seemed a lot of people were against that particular change - and from my perspective, the management didn't seem to care. "The Refinery" seems - again from my perspective - to have more "first attempt" or "just learning" posts that should go somewhere else - but people don't read rules, etc. Since it's pretty much unmoderated - it doesn't really serve its purpose. ne_nau.gif

But, this thread isn't about the Refinery. :)

I have benefited greatly from Swartzy, Jeff, and a few others who have commented on my stuff and offered suggestions for improvement. That's why I post. Am I "pro" - technically, yes. But when I botch a shot, I sure don't feel pro. I love this forum because it has a low entry point. You don't have to be pro to post here - and people are generally encouraging. I participate in another forum where there are certain people who are just plain rude - and they think they are either funny - or being helpful. That is not the case here - and it is greatly appreciated.

As for areas of improvement - I really like the idea of "article" threads - discussing technique, etc. I also really like the idea of trying to incorporate the "assignments" thing somehow. I've participated in some of Nik's assignments - and learned a lot. But, the question is always - "who?" We have a limited number of "pros" around here - and they already give a lot - plus we can forget that they have lives outside of grin. So - I don't know how to answer that one.

Anyway. I don't know that I've helped - more rambled...

Thanks!
    d8
    H2 Photography - Blog - Facebook - Twitter

Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular.

Why do people post their equipment in their sig. Isn't it kind of like bragging? That having been said...

Canon 40d Gripped (x2), Rebel (Original), Canon 70-200 f/2.8 USM L, Canon 300 f/4, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, Canon 50mm f/1.8, Canon 17-55 f/3.5-5.6, ThinkTank Airport TakeOff
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2010
    "I want to make the People forum even more of a favorite People shooting place" : IVAR~

You're on the total right track with doing an assessment. Problem is, you don't have very many folks participating in the assessment.1. Consider doing a pole, where registered users can vote anonymously: limited by the options to vote for. Perhaps even some sort of regular weekly or Monthly pole, so that the organism can morph.

2. Along with the pole, and as you are attempting to do here, See if you can figure a way to get non-regular posters to contribute to your query. I have no idea how!

3. I comment some. I post a photo occasionally. But most of the time I read. So self assessment: What do I like contributing most to? I like contributing to folks who need Nikon answers. They want to know how to do something or if its possible to do something with their Nikon stuff; CLS, Lights; Cameras.

4. My personal contribution: Model me this. I like the idea of having a separate space devoted to using a model for a given shooting environment and posting those for critique. I like this idea because it separates the family photo album stuff from the Purposely Modeled Shoot.

okay...off to work...later~

GOod Luck~♦
    tom wise
  • JwarJwar Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2010
    as a nOOb, don't know how long i can use this since i've been here from more than a year, here's a few comments...
    1. i really enjoy the People forum because of the diversity and the amount of traffic. Separating might affect the amount of views or comments, since more views = more comments. There's always a new posts to view, so it's not boring.
    2. If you decide to create separate forum, Pro vs. non-pro, i don't think that'll work. How 'bout natural light people and strobist people.
    3. I post little, comment some, but lurk a ton.

hope this helpsne_nau.gifne_nau.gif
    thanks for asking for ideas!
    Jay

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.
    Kinky Friedman