Options

Question about rates for services.

HDShooterHDShooter Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
edited March 20, 2010 in Mind Your Own Business
I've been in the video production business, as a professional camera operator, for 30 years, and still photographer for about as long, Now shooting digital.
Everything from TV, Fortune 500 company Corporate theater shows to Rock & Roll.
To give you an idea of my work, the last major video work I did was for NBC new show "Minute to win it"

Other corporate clients include, Microsoft, Home Depot, SAP, IBM, Oracle, Purina, 24hr Fitness, Sony PlayStation, E3, etc.
I've always shot stills of the events, on the side, for myself. ( Most of which I can't display on my site do to non-disclosure agreements. )

As of late, clients have shown interest in my photos, especially panos and HDR shots of production sets/lighting. I have been looking to expand into shooting stills, in addition to video camera work.

I have heard that daily rates can range from 1000 to 1500 per day for corporate event photographers.
I have never asked or even talked to the photogs on the shoots because I know how talking price can be taboo some times.

This would cover shooting corporate events, covering participant arrivals, speakers on stage, social events at the convention/conference and so forth.
Clients would be supplied all unedited images on DVD. Does this range for daily rates seem reasonable?
An hourly rate would be added for any post-processing of images, such as multi-pano HDRs, etc.
I've also talked to some producers that say they used to pay $1500 a day for the shooter plus a rate per image. but this was back when it was all done for him on film.

I would appreciate any insight available from others in this field.
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    edited March 19, 2010
    Is posting this question Taboo? ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2010
    HDShooter wrote:
    Is posting this question Taboo? ne_nau.gif

I don't think anyone has an answer for you. Rates varry drastically. Try your rate and see if you can sell it.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2010
    Thanks. Got one producer to give me the last shows shooters rate.
    and Yea, im WAY low.
  • Options
    JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2010
    HDShooter wrote:
    Thanks. Got one producer to give me the last shows shooters rate.
    and Yea, im WAY low.

Personally I thought 1000-1500 is a good range for the time. However giving away the DVD didn't seem to fit. That needs to be licensed separately.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures