Options

Manfrotto 055XPROB Pro Tripod

PhotometricPhotometric Registered Users Posts: 309 Major grins
edited March 20, 2010 in Accessories
Does anyone use this tripod? I was looking for a good tripod that can carry some weight that is under $200.00. If they do, how does the fully extended horizontal swing work?
http://www.djdimages.com/

"Don't worry when you are not recognized, but strive to be worthy of recognition."
-- Abraham Lincoln

Comments

• Options
    gecko0gecko0 Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2010
    I have the exact setup reviewed here:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=529785

That thread should answer all of your questions...tons of pics and close-ups of the rig. thumb.gif
    Canon 7D and some stuff that sticks on the end of it.
  • Options
    dixondukedixonduke Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2010
    I recently purchased the same tripod. I love it. Very sturdy, very stable, a bit on the heavy side, though (but in a good way).

I have only played with the horizontal positioning of the center column, and have not shot with it that way yet. It is easy to put into that position and appears to still retain most of its stability, unless you are extended all the way to its stop.

My set up

765534784_pPg9N-L.jpg
    Duke
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2010
    You guys are awesome! Great write up gecko....very helpful, and the images answered alot of questions.

"Don't worry when you are not recognized, but strive to be worthy of recognition."
    -- Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2010
    I have it too - and love it. (Different head though.)
  • Options
    PilotBradPilotBrad Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2010
    Me too... paired with a 488RC2. Has anyone mentioned that it's heavy? :D

I am 6'3" and I like the fact that it puts the camera close to eye level without having to extend the center column.
  • Options
    GadgetRickGadgetRick Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2010
    I just ordered the legs but have to go play with some heads to figure out which head to get. I'm not a big fan of ball heads (unless it's got the pistol grip). Any suggestions on a good head which won't cost a fortune?

Thanks.
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2010
    GadgetRick wrote:
    I just ordered the legs but have to go play with some heads to figure out which head to get. I'm not a big fan of ball heads (unless it's got the pistol grip). Any suggestions on a good head which won't cost a fortune?

Thanks.

I have the 322RC2. It's a pistol-grip ballhead and I love it. The other popular choice is the 488RC2 (or 498RC2) pictured in the previous post.
  • Options
    GadgetRickGadgetRick Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2010
    Thanks Pupator. I will check those out.
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2010
    PilotBrad wrote:
    Me too... paired with a 488RC2. Has anyone mentioned that it's heavy? :D

I am 6'3" and I like the fact that it puts the camera close to eye level without having to extend the center column.

I prefer a heavy tripod, reduces vibration. I'm not using it for backpacking.

-- Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    gecko0gecko0 Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2010
    You guys are awesome! Great write up gecko....very helpful, and the images answered alot of questions.

you're welcome...that's not my review, but it is one i used while researching what to get. :D
    Canon 7D and some stuff that sticks on the end of it.
  • Options
    insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2010
    I was at my local camera store. A sells person was helping another guy as he was looking into tripods as well.
    We both looked at all the Gitzos, Giotto, Induro, Slik and Manfrotto. Can you guess what we both ended up picking? The Manfrotto 055XproB with the 804RC2 head for $236. The other guy is going out of country for some shots and Ireland. I just need a nice strong tripod.

What sold me is the quick clamps, the weight (it's light enough for long hikes but heavy enough for stability), the horizontal center pole, and how low it can go to the ground.
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2010
    I think I've settled on this tripod at the end of it all, I just need to save a little more money and I'll be able to get it.

-- Abraham Lincoln