Options

Need new monitor.

insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
edited April 3, 2010 in Digital Darkroom
looking for suggestions.

What I want:

22" wide
10, 12, 14, LUT, with a wide gamut support
fast enough for video, some games (I not an anal gamer that needs 2 ms 240hz crap to play)

What I DO NOT want:
glossy screen (I don't care if it will do my dishes, I hate glossy!)
fugly looking, sorry apple fans.

I do already own i1 display for calibration.

target budget $300
Max budget $500

So far I am eye balling the NEC MultiSync P221W, but I want to make sure there was a better monitor for me.

Comments

• Options
    lfortierlfortier Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2010
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,871 moderator
    edited March 20, 2010
    I moved this to the "Digital Darkroom Gear" forum where we discuss computers and monitors and other hardware stuff that is not a camera/lens accessory.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    NewsyNewsy Registered Users Posts: 605 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2010
    insanefred wrote:
    looking for suggestions.

What I want:

22" wide
    10, 12, 14, LUT, with a wide gamut support
    fast enough for video, some games (I not an anal gamer that needs 2 ms 240hz crap to play)

What I DO NOT want:
    glossy screen (I don't care if it will do my dishes, I hate glossy!)
    fugly looking, sorry apple fans.

I do already own i1 display for calibration.

target budget $300
    Max budget $500

So far I am eye balling the NEC MultiSync P221W, but I want to make sure there was a better monitor for me.

One point on the NEC P221W.... yes, it does have an addressable 10bit internal LUT but your i1D2 is not capable of writing to it unless you acquire the NEC SpectraView II colorimeter software. And... it has to be a recent i1 puck for it to be compatible, not something from 5 years ago.

There is also the HP LP2275W which is wide gamut and sells for somewhere around $375 USD in the USA. It is 8bit but very functional. Historically, some users complained about issues with a line or band on the screen. This monitor is likely to be discontinued soon as I believe it will be replaced by the new HP ZR22w which will be 97% of sRGB.

Both of the above use the same Samsung supplied LTM220M3 S-PVA TFT LCD panel. Notably, S-PVA panel monitors tend to have very high input lag which is detrimental to FPS gaming. More detrimental than the refresh rate.

The only other monitor I know of that meets most of your criteria is an Eizo but it is well out of your budget range.

You can step up to a 24" and get wide gamut but not an addressable internal LUT for about $550 (on sale) in the USA. One model, the Dell U2410 claims 12bit processing and a 10bit non-addressable LUT but.... this monitor has issues. Big issues for image perfectionists - many users are on their 3rd return.

You may want to browse these review sites.

http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/reviews.html

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/reviews.php

• Options
    edited March 21, 2010
    I can step up to 26" if I have to.
  • Options
    NewsyNewsy Registered Users Posts: 605 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2010
    insanefred wrote:
    I can step up to 26" if I have to.
    OK, do you need to have a monitor with an addressable internal LUT ?

If not, then consider these:

HP LP2475W

Dell U2410

Both use an LG supplied H-IPS TFT panel, almost identical.

As alluded to, the Dell has had many reports from users of a green tint on left and a red/pink tint on the right which is typically only noticeable when a full panel white or light gray screen is put up on the monitor. It is a characteristic of this generation of H-IPS panels but not all exhibit it. The HP LP2475w also has been noted for this issue as has a Philips 240PW9EB 24" monitor that uses that LG panel.

I encourage you to read the reviews of these two monitors and also the new Dell U2711 review on TFTCentral as the author comments in that review on a number of issues with the U2410.

For the right price the U2410 may be of interest to you. It was on sale for $419 CAD last week by Dell Canada. I was very very tempted to place an order!

Personally, I'm waiting for more info on the NEC PA241W to come forward - it is a wide gamut 24". This is the replacement for the LCD2490WUXi which is not considered to be a wide gamut monitor.

• Options
    edited March 21, 2010
    I JUST got done looking at bunch of monitors. So far the HP 2475w looks really apealing, a little over my budget, but I think I can manage.
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2010
    *Update*'

I ended up with the HP zr24w, I was told that it is better than the HP 2475. It's just doesn't have a wide gamut and is sRGB native, after some research that is better for me anyways. I rarely have the need for Adobe RGB.
    So far so good, I guess I have to get use to the the IPS off angle glow. But it isn't that bad.
    I caught myself staring at a few photos today, the colors are just awesome.
    I used eye-one display to calibrate.
    For $425 shipped, with HP's 3-year in home repair, it can't be beat. :D