New Event Idea Put to the test.

GlortGlort Registered Users Posts: 1,015 Major grins
edited March 22, 2010 in Mind Your Own Business
a

Comments

• Options
    JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2010
    I've done many events like this and sales were always lacking. I've actually sold more and had an easier time by not printing on site and just taking orders.

When I did a golf tourney, It was also a shotgun but I just covered one hole and got every four-some as they came through. I was able to pick the best looking hole too.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2010
    We do a golf outing every year at work, and I doubt the foursomes of employees, vendors, and spouses would buy prints. We as a company likely would, to distribute as a thank-you for the vendors and customers, and to archive for our site. We wouldn't need anything on site, and really only a couple hour's time to cover the last holes as people came in, and then the banquet.
  • Options
    deb22deb22 Registered Users Posts: 428 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2010
    You did everything right
    Glort, I read your entire message and you did a fantastic job. I personally think you hit the right audience,The people attending probably run businesses themselves[MOST THAT ATTEND CHARITIES ARE NOT POOR LIKE US] and when they have an event some will phone the course and inquire as to how to contact you.Then you impose a fee based on sales or no sales.I am by no means a pro like you but have done many charities [different format] and have gotten paid work and sales 2 and 3 years later. It really is a word of mouth thing and it sure looks like you impressed the right people on the exceptional job you did. You need to look at it as an advertising expenditure and not a profit/loss. If you can afford to do a FEW OF these then the future will take care of itself in the long run. NOTE: BE VERY PICKY ON THE ONES YOU DO AND ONLY DO A FEW : MANY COMPANIES WILL TAKE UNDUE ADVANTAGE OF YOU IF YOU ARE TO ACCOMIDATING WITH ALL. GOOD LUCK.:D
    COUNTRY ROADS ARE NATURES HIGHWAY. http://dafontainewildlife.com
  • Options
    JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2010
    deb22 wrote:
    Glort, I read your entire message and you did a fantastic job. I personally think you hit the right audience,The people attending probably run businesses themselves[MOST THAT ATTEND CHARITIES ARE NOT POOR LIKE US] and when they have an event some will phone the course and inquire as to how to contact you.Then you impose a fee based on sales or no sales.I am by no means a pro like you but have done many charities [different format] and have gotten paid work and sales 2 and 3 years later. It really is a word of mouth thing and it sure looks like you impressed the right people on the exceptional job you did. You need to look at it as an advertising expenditure and not a profit/loss. If you can afford to do a FEW OF these then the future will take care of itself in the long run. NOTE: BE VERY PICKY ON THE ONES YOU DO AND ONLY DO A FEW : MANY COMPANIES WILL TAKE UNDUE ADVANTAGE OF YOU IF YOU ARE TO ACCOMIDATING WITH ALL. GOOD LUCK.:D

If you are assuming the people are business owners, or just have excess money, then do the golf thing completely for FREE. Give every participant a 4x6, tucked nicely inside of your marketing material.

You won't make money at these events even if you charge. You will not get the charity to agree to a $1000 rule either, but you could turn the event into direct leads with business owners.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    barnyardbarnyard Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited March 22, 2010
    Grainbelt wrote:
    We do a golf outing every year at work, and I doubt the foursomes of employees, vendors, and spouses would buy prints. We as a company likely would, to distribute as a thank-you for the vendors and customers, and to archive for our site. We wouldn't need anything on site, and really only a couple hour's time to cover the last holes as people came in, and then the banquet.

I used to cover events just like this. I was hired by the company and they sent the photos to everyone that attended as a follow up.

I charged an hourly fee, plus prints. Always 5x7s. I think one couple ordered Holiday cards, pretty sure that was the only additional order I ever had from one of the events.

Obviously, the way to price this, was by the hour. Do that it you will be fine.

I did and it was a great gig.

Tom B