Weekly Assignment #124: Clamshell

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited March 23, 2010 in Assignments
Let's pay a visit to a glamour world and try one of the rather typical lighting setups, called "clamshell lighting".
While it may sound scary/complex, in fact it is not: all you need is one light in front and above the subject and one reflector (or second light) in front and below. You don't even have to have studio strobe: you can do it with a window (or a desklamp) and a piece of light paper/fabric (posterboard, windshield shade, bedcloth, etc.). In any case the goal is to provide the light coming to your subject both from above and from below.

Feel free to bingle for more examples of what is it and how it's done.

As always, fresh images only. PS is ok (it's a glamour world, afterall), just don't go overboard.

Your entry should consist of:
* picture of your setup
* SOOC image
* final image
Multiple entries are OK if they are different enough.

Let's get us some clam lighting!
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2010
    Sorry forgot about the setup shot. The setup was two Vivitar 285HVs with wireless radio triggers.
    One was bounced in a 33" silver umbrella at ground level about 3 feet in front of the model. The other was bounced off the roof (approx. 8' white roof). I used my foam scoop as a Gobo to cpntrol light going direct to the model. I should have used a snoot though, I can see far too much light bouncing off the back wall in the catchlights.

Anyways, here is the SOOC.
    809868097_jNQXU-XL.jpg

Processed.
    809867178_tSZW9-XL.jpg
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2010
    Toshido wrote:
    Sorry forgot about the setup shot. The setup was two Vivitar 285HVs with wireless radio triggers.
    One was bounced in a 33" silver umbrella at ground level about 3 feet in front of the model. The other was bounced off the roof (approx. 8' white roof). I used my foam scoop as a Gobo to cpntrol light going direct to the model. I should have used a snoot though, I can see far too much light bouncing off the back wall in the catchlights.

Anyways, here is the SOOC.
    Processed.

Thank you! thumb.gif
    Too bad you' ve forgottten about the setup...
    And you're right, you need a tighter light control - typically achieved by darker environment of flags...
    edited March 20, 2010
    Okay I can understand setting this up with snoots, maybe even top and bottom lights, or if just a high light and a reflector, but how would you use flags in this?
    edited March 20, 2010
    Toshido wrote:
    Okay I can understand setting this up with snoots, maybe even top and bottom lights, or if just a high light and a reflector, but how would you use flags in this?
    Flags are use to control the light spill. In your case the background.
    Mine changes from black to white without the flags. If you don't have an ability to control the room's wall/floor/ceiling relections, use the flags. deal.gif
    edited March 21, 2010
    Okay thanks Nikolai. i think I might be able to get away with the same setup but with a full snoot, not just a half snoot/reflector bouncing light on the off white back wall... Definitely something to try.
  • D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2010
    Maybe not quite what you're hoping for, Nik. I quess I should've glammed it up some....

Anyways, here's my setup.
    One small softy and a POS gold relecto.

65f12dd390ef4368a233fbf3e79b62c3

And a close-up of "Kathrynn". rolleyes1.gif
    SOOC

593a4b9b24e04b1caa9082c7f540de99

Minimal tweeks, pretty much soc except for some healing brush and levels adj. I mainly just zapped zits and several flecks that were in her eyes.

961d7c80c1d9425b85ac4ba7e158f409

Forgive the stray feather - I looked at this as a lighting tute and didn't toss in much an effort at hair and make-up - I could take it further but after all, it's only a doll. ne_nau.gif
    Ignore the catch lights, their painted.... Eye-lashes, though, are falsies that I glued on. :D

Final shot was with my 70-200 @ f8 and 125th seconds.
    edited March 23, 2010
    D'Buggs wrote:
    Maybe not quite what you're hoping for, Nik. I quess I should've glammed it up some....

Anyways, here's my setup.
    One small softy and a POS gold relecto.
    Forgive the stray feather - I looked at this as a lighting tute and didn't toss in much an effort at hair and make-up - I could take it further but after all, it's only a doll. ne_nau.gif

Ignore the catch lights, their painted.... Eye-lashes, though, are falsies that I glued on. :D

Final shot was with my 70-200 @ f8 and 125th seconds.

Nice! Thank you for your patience! clap.gif
  • D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2010
    Nikolai wrote:
    Nice! Thank you for your patience! clap.gif

My patience??????

In case you haven't noticed; You're the one conducting the show... Thank-You for doing so!