Options

First shots with an umbrella!

WachelWachel Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
edited March 25, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
Umbrella wasn't even 10 minutes old before these shots. The kids out ran the dog so she was my victim...uh...subject. Background is a couch...hey, I was happy the dog didn't take off so give me a break! ;)

First attempts at off camera flash EVER so be gentle but let me know what you think.

Canon 7D, Canon 430EX, Canon 50mm 1.8 (fantastic plastic) and my umbrella set up.

p150271187-4.jpg

p361510459-4.jpg
Michael

<Insert some profound quote here to try and seem like a deep thinker>

Michael Wachel Photography

Facebook

Comments

• Options
    Numbers GuyNumbers Guy Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited March 23, 2010
    Hey Michael,

I've been doing some reading lately and wanting to experiment with off-camera flash as well. What umbrella did you end up buying? Did you pick up a light stand also?

Looks pretty good to me for a first attempt. The umbrella makes a little different catch light in the eyes. The light looks nice, soft, and even in #2. I definitely won't offer any real critique until I try it myself... and probably screw it up a few times before I get it right. :D

Doug
    Doug Vaughn
    http://www.dougvaughn.com
    Canon 5D MKII and more lenses than my wife thinks I can afford.
  • Options
    WachelWachel Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2010
    Hey Michael,

I've been doing some reading lately and wanting to experiment with off-camera flash as well. What umbrella did you end up buying? Did you pick up a light stand also?

Looks pretty good to me for a first attempt. The umbrella makes a little different catch light in the eyes. The light looks nice, soft, and even in #2. I definitely won't offer any real critique until I try it myself... and probably screw it up a few times before I get it right. :D

Doug

I just went to the local photo shop here in Anchorage. Bought a Giottos lightstand, a speedlight/umbrella adapter and a Wescott convertable shoot through umbrella. I got all of it for $97 out the door.

Yes, the catchlights are different. I like the ease of set up and take down of the umbrella due to us being in a small house on base (military housing).

Here is one of my little boy. I have a lot to learn but it is so much fun to experiment! All post processing done in Aperture 3.

EDIT: The umbrella is a 62".

p837001394-4.jpg
    Michael

<Insert some profound quote here to try and seem like a deep thinker>

Michael Wachel Photography

Facebook
  • Options
    Numbers GuyNumbers Guy Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited March 24, 2010
    I like the lighting on your son. After lots of reading, I ordered a light stand and umbrella combination this morning, and they will arrive on Friday. You know what I'll be experimenting with this weekend. I ordered the Wescott 45" shoot-through satin umbrella. Can't wait to try it out with my 430EX.
    Doug Vaughn
    http://www.dougvaughn.com
    Canon 5D MKII and more lenses than my wife thinks I can afford.
  • Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2010
    You've got some great light going on there. Love the softness of it.
    Pretty cute take in the first and the photo of your boy is very nice
    indeed. Nice tone in that BW. thumb.gif
    Michael