>> Results >> EXERCISE: Make Every Shot Count

RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
edited July 10, 2010 in Street and Documentary
Post your two best shots here, along with any observations about the experience.

The exercise was explained in this thread.

Cheers,

Comments

• PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2010
    Where time stood still
    I went off to a photography shoot in Aylmer ON, not far from me for the annual Tundra Swan migration. I didn't spend much time looking at the swans (how many times can you photograph swans?) but started looking for people as usual. Two Mennonite families were there, one leaving, one arriving. I didn't have much time to capture so I waited for the perfect moment to hit the shutter. In total I took maybe 6 shots. Here are my best two (I think ne_nau.gif ) I have one of the family in a line walking towards me as well that turned out pretty well. Let me have it...

1. When I saw that Grandpa was letting the young boy take the reins I knew what shot I wanted. Grandpa was not very visible in the shot so I had to dodge a bit in PP. This was taken through the car windshield

815320727_mhRrt-L.jpg

Glance.jpg

alternate crop is here

The other contender is here
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
    edited March 21, 2010
    Boy, these must really be bad. 81 views and not a soul to give any C&C even to say they're not right for this forum. eek7.gif
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer

patti hinton photography
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2010
    Patti wrote:
    Boy, these must really be bad. 81 views and not a soul to give any C&C even to say they're not right for this forum. eek7.gif

Are you Kidding ?? :wow
    I just saw this for the 1st time and been staring at the 1st one ever since ylsuper.gif

I'm trying to think of what I can come up with that even comes close.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited March 21, 2010
    Patti wrote:

Hardly. Weekends are slow on Dgrin--don't fret.

They're both very good shots. clap.gif I prefer the first. I think you should try to increase the contrast inside the buggy--I'd like to see the guy with the beard and the kid stand out more.
    edited March 21, 2010
    bfjr wrote:
    Are you Kidding ?? :wow
    I just saw this for the 1st time and been staring at the 1st one ever since ylsuper.gif

I'm trying to think of what I can come up with that even comes close.

Thanks Benjamin. I appreciate you taking a look. I'm looking forward to your work on this exercise.

patti hinton photography
    edited March 21, 2010
    Richard wrote:
    Hardly. Weekends are slow on Dgrin--don't fret.

They're both very good shots. clap.gif I prefer the first. I think you should try to increase the contrast inside the buggy--I'd like to see the guy with the beard and the kid stand out more.

Thanks for the C&C Richard. I really appreciate it. I've upped the contrast inside the buggy. What do you think? More? It doesn't look as contrasty here as it does in LR2

815855881_rBsfq-XL.jpg

patti hinton photography
    edited March 21, 2010
    Patti wrote:
    Thanks for the C&C Richard. I really appreciate it. I've upped the contrast inside the buggy. What do you think? More? It doesn't look as contrasty here as it does in LR2

The kid looks great, but I would still try to do more with the bearded guy.
    edited March 21, 2010
    Richard wrote:
    The kid looks great, but I would still try to do more with the bearded guy.

I replaced the photo immediately above after adding more to the bearded man.

patti hinton photography
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2010
    Hi Patti,
    I was one of the original 81 views, but I had put it in my head that we were holding off on comments until the exercise was overne_nau.gif --don't know where I got that.

I really like the one with the kid in the buggie--I like the little kid looking directly at you from inside--this normally doesn't work, but it does here. I also like the older man, I find the cool aviator style sun glasses so out of place for this shot.

In the second shot, I'm surprised they are not all turning to look at you, the place looks so desolate. I guess they are used to being photographed, all but the little guy that is.

Who needs a crowded urban environment for great street shots! clap.gif
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited March 22, 2010
    Hi Patti,
    I was one of the original 81 views, but I had put it in my head that we were holding off on comments until the exercise was overne_nau.gif --don't know where I got that.

I really like the one with the kid in the buggie--I like the little kid looking directly at you from inside--this normally doesn't work, but it does here. I also like the older man, I find the cool aviator style sun glasses so out of place for this shot.

In the second shot, I'm surprised they are not all turning to look at you, the place looks so desolate. I guess they are used to being photographed, all but the little guy that is.

Who needs a crowded urban environment for great street shots! clap.gif

Aren't those sunglasses a contrast to their way of life? The buggy shot was a real thrill to get. I was in my friend's car and shot through the window in a terrible rush.
    The photos were taken at a wildlife conservation area just south east of me thus the desolate looking area.
    Thanks for your feedback. I'd be interested to know if you prefer the cropped or the original frame of the boy glancing back.

patti hinton photography
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2010
    Patti wrote:
    Aren't those sunglasses a contrast to their way of life? The buggy shot was a real thrill to get. I was in my friend's car and shot through the window in a terrible rush.
    The photos were taken at a wildlife conservation area just south east of me thus the desolate looking area.
    Thanks for your feedback. I'd be interested to know if you prefer the cropped or the original frame of the boy glancing back.

With the sunglasses he reminds me of a member of ZZ top--probably not the look he was going for--not that he knows who they are.

I much prefer your cropped version.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited March 22, 2010
    With the sunglasses he reminds me of a member of ZZ top--probably not the look he was going for--not that he knows who they are.

I much prefer your cropped version.

He does rather. Laughing.gif I think it's a safe bet that he has no inkling of who ZZ Top is. mwink.gif Thanks for your input re the different crops too.

patti hinton photography
  • morgan20morgan20 Registered Users Posts: 76 Big grins
    edited March 22, 2010
    The carriage and the bearded man and the kids is priceless. Would look great framed in a large widfe wooden frame.
    edited March 24, 2010
    Thanks Morgan.

patti hinton photography
  • DeeCajunDeeCajun Registered Users Posts: 515 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2010
    these are amazing, I just don't see a thing I don't like about them. Sure beats a couple of swans thumb.gif
    edited March 27, 2010
    Thanks very much Dee. Much appreciated.

patti hinton photography
    edited March 31, 2010
    I know I am out of my humble league here but I wanted to participate. I may not be in the guidelines but thats ok, I live on a quiet lake so people are hard to come by this time of year ... (not complaining)

1) The lake I live on is dangerously low, I wanted to capture that by shooting from an area that should be underwater. I was on my belly and crawled around at dusk, this was the best one.

2). While having coffee and contemplating going out for the shoot, my pup crawled up on my recliner and got in a direct line of sunlight, I struggle with indoor lighting and loved that she was in her own spotlight. She kept waking up so it took forever, but worth it, I loved working with the light and perspective, not sure if it worked but it was fun. Sometimes the best photo ops are right under our noses, I shot 10 of her and this was the best one.

Thanks for this exercise.. the restraint was tough!

1.)
    _MG_9137CR2-2-1.jpg

2.)
    _MG_9159-1.jpg
    edited March 31, 2010
    What sadist thought up this exercise...oh, wait, I remember now. rolleyes1.gif

I went out on Sunday planning on doing it, but I ran into a political demonstration against bullfighting, and thought, the hell if I'm only going to take 10 shots. You'll probably get to see some of those pics within the next week. In the meantime, I finally went out this morning, and these are my two favorites:
    824421608_7UARf-XL.jpg

824420590_Wg3ym-XL.jpg
    I'll save my comments on the experience till more of you have had a chance to post.

Cheers,
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2010
    Richard wrote:
    What sadist thought up this exercise...oh, wait, I remember now. rolleyes1.gif

I went out on Sunday planning on doing it, but I ran into a political demonstration against bullfighting, and thought, the hell if I'm only going to take 10 shots. You'll probably get to see some of those pics within the next week. In the meantime, I finally went out this morning, and these are my two favorites

I like the contrast in both shots.
    edited March 31, 2010
    sadist??? *perk!* :curtsey

yes yes the challenge.. very challenging.. love the photos...
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2010
    826089844_xnFFN-XL.jpg

824654676_kEq5o-XL.jpg

Reprocess of #2 to decrease reflections
    826101905_rGRuy-XL-1.jpg

Comments to follow...
    edited April 1, 2010
    DeeCajun wrote:
    sadist??? *perk!* :curtsey
    lol3.gif I think you may have joined Dgrin just a little late, Dee. The Refinery used to be called The Whipping Post.

:whip
    edited April 1, 2010
    Anybody else got anything? headscratch.gif
    edited April 1, 2010
    Richard I like both of your shots but particularly #2. The distortion of the shadow at the head gives the impression of a hat suggesting the shadow belongs to another man. clap.gif

patti hinton photography
    edited April 1, 2010
    Richard wrote:
    lol3.gif I think you may have joined Dgrin just a little late, Dee. The Refinery used to be called The Whipping Post.

:whip

Rats! Just my luck! :cry
    edited April 2, 2010
    Rainbow: I like the composition of #1 a lot, but wish that you had caught her just a fraction of a second sooner. I know how that goes rolleyes1.gif. What's especially nice is that there are several mannequins receding in the background. Maybe bump the contrast a hair? #2 is sort of interesting, but the reflections are not clear enough to be recognizable, so to me they distract.

Patti, Ben and Dee: Thanks. thumb.gif
    edited April 2, 2010
    OK, here are a few thoughts about this exercise. At first, I thought I wasn't going to get a single shot. I was surprised by how often I raised my camera--almost automatically--but then thought, nah, not worth it. I found myself paying a lot more attention to metering than I usually do and as a result, I didn't ruin any shots because of exposure. OTOH, I accidentally pressed the shutter release all the way once when all I wanted to do was check the metering, so I guess you could say I lost 10% lol3.gif. There was one juxtaposition shot I blew because I was just a little late. Had I been shooting in my usual fashion, I probably would have squeezed off three or four shots and one of them might have worked. In the end, I worked up six of the nine shots, and I was fairly happy with four. I was out this morning shooting, and while I wasn't repeating the exercise, I did find myself a little less trigger happy.

It was an interesting experience for me because it made me think about the way I had been shooting. Whether it has lasting value remains to be seen. ne_nau.gif

I'd like to hear from the others who did this. And I would encourage people who didn't to give it a try whenever it's convenient and post their results and comments. Note that I have added links to all the exercises in the Tips and Resources sticky.

Cheers,
    edited April 2, 2010
    Richard, thanks for this exercise..

I am now less trigger happy too, I take that extra millisecond to check horizon level and other things that can be easily *fixed*.. and at one time, ME, vowed never to manipulate a photo, ever.

I'm a bit smooshy in mood today so I will tell you I long for the day, with my film camera in hand, waiting for that exact right moment, praying everything was set right, (like camera ON) and the complete adrenaline rush of clicking the shutter, and waiting (days and dayssssss) to get the photo to see just how it worked,,, what excitement! At .22 cents per shot, you couldn't be trigger happy... each click had to count.. so thanks for bringing some of that back to me! bowdown.gif (sorry I love to bow)

thank you this one will stay with me!
    edited April 2, 2010
    It was an excellent exercise. It has literally been decades since I went out on a dedicated photo shoot (much less with a time and shot limit). So I had to give thought to destination (I chose the target-rich S. F. downtown, accessible by BART subway) and equipment (I ended up using the 24 -105 and did not use the 70-200). And hardest was setting aside the time to do so within the deadline.

My initial concern was whether I could find ten worthwhile shots in two hours (opposite of limiting my trigger finger). But I also did not want to pass by good shots due to the ten shot limit. So I also took my P&S for other shots since I was not going to pass up some shots if I were going to spend 1/2 day on this. Probably took another 50 shots with this.

First lesson: find a restroom before starting the two hours so that the back end is not rushed or distracted...rolleyes1.gif

Best part is walking around looking for a likely photo and when finding it, giving thought to what would be the best angle. Sometimes I circled for a few minutes contemplating the angle for the one or two shots that I would take.

My first posted shot I would title "I'm a Girl Watcher" from the song as that is immediately what came to mind when I saw the three "guys" hanging there. So I had to find the angle and then await the object of their attention: "...Here comes one now..."

Second shot was my last shot of the day (and my eleventh, not counting two immediate deletions -- kinda like getting the 37th shot on a roll of film...:ivar ). It was instantly my favorite of the day and was unexpected as I was ready to pack it up. He had a silent picture sort of expression and was dressed to match (even with the bumbershoot!)... and what a setting!

Value: the discipline was a good reminder to go for quality over quantity. BUT the best value for me was to plan photo-dedicated excursions as it was both educational, fun, and resulted in some nice keepers (I will post others in the near future).
    edited April 2, 2010
    Richard wrote:
    Rainbow: I like the composition of #1 a lot, but wish that you had caught her just a fraction of a second sooner. I know how that goes rolleyes1.gif. What's especially nice is that there are several mannequins receding in the background. Maybe bump the contrast a hair? #2 is sort of interesting, but the reflections are not clear enough to be recognizable, so to me they distract.

Patti, Ben and Dee: Thanks. thumb.gif

Thanks for the feedback.

In #1, a fraction second earlier likely would have been better, BUT I had to be sure I had a worthy subject with this being the first of my ten shots (foiled by the challenge!).

I reprocessed #2 to "stamp out" some of the reflections -- wish they were not there at all...

And thanks for setting up this exercise. I do hope others partake in the near future and post their results.