Options

An Exquisite French Beauty

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
edited March 24, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
This glorious creature is a 1937 Delage D8 120 SS. It epitomizes the elegance of the pre-war French automobiles that reached the pinnacle in design beauty. This particular car was built for a European prince and is a one-off....the only D8 120 SS ever made on a short chassis. It's priceless.

817941500_KNWnu-XL.jpg

817948267_2tvFz-XL.jpg

817948138_8BKpW-XL.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2010
    Howdy Tom,

What a beautiful car, a true Piece of Art.

So graceful, I can't even imagine what this must of looked like

rolling down the street back in the time period.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2010
    Yo Craig,

It's a crying shame that modern safety regulations preclude the manufacture of cars with the looks and character of this one. Historically, cars have always been a reflection of the owner.....his tastes, self-perception, etc. To some extent, that situation still exists but it's not like it used to be.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2010
    Hi Tom........Looks really good for being 73......:D That is a nice shot Tom...Is this from this years shows??????? gary
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2010
    Hey Gary,

Thanks for the nice comment. That car should look good.....it's been through an exhaustive restoration, taking years and who knows how much money. Those shots were taken at this year's show.

Tom
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2010
    Hi Tom,
    Lovely shot of a gorgeous car. I'm taking notes for any future car shot I might have.

Out of curiosity, I notice most of your car shots have people in them--is there ever a way for you to get there at a certain time where no people are around? I'm guessing no right? I'd get an ulcer trying to work my way around all those people.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2010
    Hi Liz,

Unfortunately, as you surmise, I can't get to these cars before the hoards of people start showing up. I'd pay big bucks ( I mean serious dollars ) if I could but it's not in the cards. Shooting at one of these big shows entails a lot of frustrations:

1) You've got the mass of folks swirling around. The majority of these people don't care that you're trying to get pictures. They'll walk right in front of you as you're about to snap the shutter. I've waited as long as 10 minutes to get a clear shot....and even then it is probably not the shot you want, but likely the only one you'll get. If you don't have patience, you'd better stay home.

2) Since these cars are in a static display, you're stuck with their relation to the natural lighting....which often is such that getting a pleasing rendering is next to impossible.

3) You have to deal with all the other " clutter " that exists at a show; trash cans, auxiliary equipment, the belongings of the car's exhibitor ( who often sit right beside their car ), etc., etc.

I immensely enjoy these shows and I love shooting the cars but it can be very taxing on the nerves.

Tom
  • Options
    RoadkillRoadkill Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2010
    That's a sweet ride..
  • Options
    Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2010
    Gorgeous car!

Nice job!

thumb.gif

One way of dealing with the crowds is to give up trying to get the whole car, and focus on part of a feature or detail, and if really necessary use PhotoShop... eek7.gif

e.g.

Now you see 'em:

608757426_epmAr-M.jpg

...now you don't:

608761614_PyBwz-M.jpg

Thanks for sharing!

thumb.gif

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2010
    Hey Roadkill,

Thanks for looking in.

Tom
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2010
    Hi Wil,

Thanks for the nice comments.

There are times when I do take somebody or thing out of the picture. But, as you can see, that's not too practical when I've got such hoards of people to deal with. I do take, on occasion, abstracts of special parts or features of these cars.

BTW, that's a nice looking Healey.

Take care,

Tom
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2010
    thanks Tom...

...BTW what is the other beauty sitting next to the Delage? (the windscreen & doors scream "Bugatti" but the grille is totally wrong headscratch.gif )

- Wil
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2010
    Wil,

That stunner next to the Delage is a 1938 Talbot Lago T150 C SS Teardrop.
    It's another of those gorgeous pre-war French masterpieces. I'll be featuring it soon in another up-coming post.

Tom
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2010
    …thanks!

V. nice - looking forward to seeing the pics!

- Wil