Options

Cobranding - Smugmug logo on address bar

LouBuonomoLouBuonomo Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
edited July 18, 2005 in SmugMug Support
Any way to change or eliminate the smugmug logo on the address bar or when if I add my site to favorites ?

Thanks
Lou

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2005
    LouBuonomo wrote:
    Any way to change or eliminate the smugmug logo on the address bar or when if I add my site to favorites ?

Thanks
    Lou

there's an old saying: "you dance with the girl you brung with you."
  • Options
    LouBuonomoLouBuonomo Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited July 17, 2005
    Thanks for the reply Andy. I have no problem with it just thought if I could change it I would.

Lou
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2005
    andy wrote:
    there's an old saying: "you dance with the girl you brung with you."
    Unless you're sly enough to dump her at the door Andy.

To change your icon in the url bar (and the firefox links bar and other places) the first thing you have to do is to create a 16px x 16px image that is saved as something like "favicon.ico". Now you can't just save a gif or a jpg as a favicon and expect it to work. There are free favicon converters (there is even one that is web-based) and there is a favicon creator plugin for photoshop too.

Once you get the favicon save it somewhere. You won't be able to keep it on SM since it isn't a jpg or a gif file. Once you get it saved somewhere put the following code first thing in your header:
    <LINK REL="SHORTCUT ICON" HREF="http://<insert url and folder here>/favicon.ico">

That's all there is to it. I've tested it and it works ... I just haven't followed the first couple of steps (mostly the making the favicon.ico file part).
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2005
    i don't approve and i think doing these sorts of hacks is just wrong. it's like you want all the benefits of smugmug but you don't want to give smugmug the credit. it stinks.
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2005
    andy wrote:
    i don't approve and i think doing these sorts of hacks is just wrong. it's like you want all the benefits of smugmug but you don't want to give smugmug the credit. it stinks.
    Well that's one way to think about it. The other way to think about it is that I pay good money to have my own photo sharing website. I spend tons of time customizing it just the way I want it. What I don't want is that SM happyface showing up beside my URL. There are things that I'm not trying to change that I could. My site will always say "Mike Lane Photography - Powered by Smugmug" on the title bar. There will always be an about page that tells the joys of SM and why whoever is looking at that should join SM (that part is currently under construction). My help files will be plastered with SM logos because they will be the SM help files.

I am more than happy to give SM their just recognition...just not in my URL bar. Sorry Andy, I really don't care if you approve or not.

Now if one of the SM guys doesn't want me to change the favicon, then I'll consider leaving it alone.

• Options
    edited July 18, 2005
    Mike Lane wrote:
    Well that's one way to think about it. The other way to think about it is that I pay good money to have my own photo sharing website. I spend tons of time customizing it just the way I want it. What I don't want is that SM happyface showing up beside my URL. There are things that I'm not trying to change that I could. My site will always say "Mike Lane Photography - Powered by Smugmug" on the title bar. There will always be an about page that tells the joys of SM and why whoever is looking at that should join SM (that part is currently under construction). My help files will be plastered with SM logos because they will be the SM help files.

I am more than happy to give SM their just recognition...just not in my URL bar. Sorry Andy, I really don't care if you approve or not.

Now if one of the SM guys doesn't want me to change the favicon, then I'll consider leaving it alone.

hey, i don't care if you care or not :D i'm merely speaking my piece. this came up once before, some guy wanted to hack the "powered by smugmug" link on the bottome of the page... anyhow that's what i mean about dancing with the girl you brung, if one wants a logo free site, one can set up their own hosting etc... just my .02
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2005
    andy wrote:
    hey, i don't care if you care or not :D i'm merely speaking my piece. this came up once before, some guy wanted to hack the "powered by smugmug" link on the bottome of the page... anyhow that's what i mean about dancing with the girl you brung, if one wants a logo free site, one can set up their own hosting etc... just my .02
    Why allow cobranding at all then? Hey, even the cobranding help page tells you how to remove the logos from the top and bottom of your page, the links to smugmug, any reference to smugmug in the URL (okay that's not cobranding but it's in the help page), the distinct black color scheme. Hell, they're updating the cobranding to make it so you can change the whole look of your site so that one wouldn't necessarily know from the layout that it is smugmug powered.

Someone with even a cursory introduction to html (or access to google) can figure out how to change their favicon, how to remove the mini-footer, and a ton of other stuff. To stick with the girl at the dance analogy, if you've gotten her to change her dress before you go to the dance, why not get her to wear shoes that match? She's a great girl and you definitely want people to know you like her, but you just don't like her taste in clothes.

• Options
    onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2005
    Mike Lane wrote:
    Why allow cobranding at all then? Hey, even the cobranding help page tells you how to remove the logos from the top and bottom of your page, the links to smugmug, any reference to smugmug in the URL (okay that's not cobranding but it's in the help page), the distinct black color scheme. Hell, they're updating the cobranding to make it so you can change the whole look of your site so that one wouldn't necessarily know from the layout that it is smugmug powered.

Someone with even a cursory introduction to html (or access to google) can figure out how to change their favicon, how to remove the mini-footer, and a ton of other stuff. To stick with the girl at the dance analogy, if you've gotten her to change her dress before you go to the dance, why not get her to wear shoes that match? She's a great girl and you definitely want people to know you like her, but you just don't like her taste in clothes.

Just so we're clear, I think we're fine with changes to favicon.ico. (We've never discussed it, but I don't have a problem with it).

We aren't fine with removing "powered by smugmug" in the small footer or the title. I'm sorry, but $100/year doesn't entitle you to the entire kitchen sink - just most of it. :)

Don
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2005
    onethumb wrote:
    Just so we're clear, I think we're fine with changes to favicon.ico. (We've never discussed it, but I don't have a problem with it).

We aren't fine with removing "powered by smugmug" in the small footer or the title. I'm sorry, but $100/year doesn't entitle you to the entire kitchen sink - just most of it. :)

Don
    Works for me.