Options

File size request?!

MarloweMarlowe Registered Users Posts: 219 Major grins
edited March 26, 2010 in Mind Your Own Business
I have a new customer that wanted some photos for a gallery (they sponsor a local sports team) and they wanted TIFF images in the 50MB range. I don't give away my original RAW files and as these particular images are 6MB (~14MB TIFFs) so I couldn't provide anything of that size regardless.

Just wondering why she would need files that large if they were just for gallery prints? I've seen some large images via EZ prints from my Smugmug and they were quite reasonable given the size & resolution of the original images. I mentioned this to her but she's sticking to her request.

Unless she wants wall size images is there any other reason she would need these images in files that large? She insists her printer needs files that large.

Jon

Comments

• Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited March 26, 2010
    I think she's uninformed so not certain of what she's asking for. Stating you want a 50mb file, without reference to pixel depth or resolution, is like asking your assistant to haul a filing cabinet over to your desk rather than ask for a particular file folder from within.
  • Options
    LiveAwakeLiveAwake Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2010
    Angelo wrote:
    I think she's uninformed so not certain of what she's asking for. Stating you want a 50mb file, without reference to pixel depth or resolution, is like asking your assistant to haul a filing cabinet over to your desk rather than ask for a particular file folder from within.
    I agree with this. I will also say, however, that if you take the RAW file into Photoshop in 16-bits per channel and then convert to Tiff, it will be quite large, probably in the 50-60mb range.

If you're still lacking, you can always upsample it in ACR, but that does seem kind of silly just to achieve a requested file size.