Options

Nikon D70

2»

Comments

• Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2004
    I found that buying the cam was the cheap part. Now comes the fun. I've had to buy some new lenses, software, extra storage (cd's & external drive). Now I'm shopping for a faster computer. I have a PowerBook G4 667 & Nikon Capture is a dog on this thing. I think it may be more of a problem with the software than my laptop, but the girlfriend bought the excuse!!!

Now I just need to find that rich uncle I've never met, or easier yet...win the lottery. :)

Dave
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2004
    Harv, I've been buying lenses, and had good luck buying used lenses. It ain't cheap, but it is a savings over a new lens - often a few hundred dollars. I've bought five lenses, and only one of them was not in the condition I'd hoped. Even so, the wear was cosmetic, and I didn't ask the right questions. All the others are indistinguishable from new, IMHO.

In case you're interested, here are the sites that I visited. Good stuff goes fast, so you have to get in the mode of checking every few hours, at a minimum! At most, you'll have to register to PM or get their e-mail info.

Fred Miranda Buy & Sell Forum.
    Easily the best, and by far the busiest and most competitive. Usually (but not universally) very trustworthy. Good experiences. Very self-policing, almost obnoxiously so, but that helps the buyer.

Photo.net Classifieds.
    Lots of new listings. Not user friendly, kinda messy interface. No responses allowed to ads. You have to register to reach the seller, unless they put contact info in their messgae body. Divided into a main forum (make sure you click on "Sort by Original Posting date" to get the latest) and sub-forums below that. Lotsa gear, but a bit of work. I've bought stuff through it, and it's worked out fine. But make sure you ask all the right questions!

Rob Galbraith's The Trading Post.
    Much slower than the above two. Again, you have to register to get info. Rarely, something will show-up here that isn't also listed at the other two sites. But always worth a visit - almost got a 1D body for $2100. I saw the ad a few hours too late. :cry

SportsShooter.com Classifieds.
    Busy at times, slow at times. You will see stuff here that doesn't show elsewhere. This one's more of a community, it's not unusual to see a seller only wanting to sell to a Sport Shooter member. And to join, it seems you have to have a true photographic affiliation. As usual, some ads are cross posted elsewhere. Never bought anything here, but the ads seem honest. It appears that no responses are allowed to the ads.

In addition, you might also do a search for Nikon forums in Google. I did the same for Canon, found a Canon specific site with a buy/sell forum. It wasn't very busy. You never know, though. ne_nau.gif

I personally steer clear of eBay. For Canon lenses, I never saw any bargains. I did see a lot of excessively high bids. Just not worth it, IMHO. Far better to make contact with an individual seller.

Nigritude Ultramarine
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    HarveyMushmanHarveyMushman Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    In case you're interested, here are the sites that I visited. Good stuff goes fast, so you have to get in the mode of checking every few hours, at a minimum! At most, you'll have to register to PM or get their e-mail info.
    Thanks, Sid. I'll bookmark 'em and start browsing regularly. I'm not sure what I'd buy yet though, so I'm going to play with the camera for awhile, using the lenses I have, and try to figure out what sort of lens would meet my needs.

BTW, I've reached the same conclusions as you with regard to eBay. I just don't see any real deals.
    Tim
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2004
    nod.gif A sensible solution. thumb.gif We'll see how long your resolve can last. naughty.gif Which lenses do you have now? And you do realize this means we have to go to the track and do some shooting, yes? Today I bought Patch's used 1D because his mkII ship finally came in. I am now loaded for bear. mwink.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    HarveyMushmanHarveyMushman Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    nod.gif A sensible solution. thumb.gif We'll see how long your resolve can last. naughty.gif Which lenses do you have now? And you do realize this means we have to go to the track and do some shooting, yes? Today I bought Patch's used 1D because his mkII ship finally came in. I am now loaded for bear. mwink.gif
    I have the Nikkor 18-70mm/3.5-4.5 that the D70 Outfit includes, plus a Nikkor 50mm/1.8, Nikkor 35-80mm/4-5.6, and a Quantaray (?) 70-210mm/4-5.6. Nothing special, obviously, but I figure they are capable of more than I at the moment so there's no need to spend big bucks. Yet. :D

As for shootin' at the track, you bet. thumb.gif I'm anxious to try the 70-210 telezoom at the track actually, partly to see how the D70's 1.5x magnification factor affects things.
    Tim