Options

Lights from the top of the world

dlsdls Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
edited March 31, 2010 in Landscapes
Here are some shots from this past week during this recent stint in Kotzebue, AK. Have been up here (33 mi above the Arctic Circle) intermittently since Nov, and the weather (and solar flares) this time around was at least amenable to venturing out of the town and capturing the Northern Lights (having access to an ATV also helps... did not want to march a mile in the subzeros). Also the shame of not going out to take night shots in the prior months motivated me this time. The aurora were rated at level 2 (out of 9, with 9 being strongest) in these shots. Had went out a total of 4 nights, each with varying temps, winds, aurora brilliance, and company (will not venture out alone, but also limits flexibility in composing shots as many photmuggles do not have the dang maniacal patience for photography).

1. Attempt Day 1. Not certain if the crew were happy with me or angry at me initially when I instructed them to stand still for 30 seconds in -20 ambient and -30 wind chill during the exposure. The shooting star was NOT photoshopped in, BTW.
816893776_8g8pf-L.jpg

2. Attempt Day 2. Best lights display of the 4 nights, but limited as still too close to city (no ATV access yet, so had to walk 30 min to base of Cemetery Hill), and as a colleague feared frostbite (him having taking care of a severe case in the hospital at the time did not help).
816245967_qPgqK-L.jpg

3. Attempt Day 3. Impromptu outing after work given the sudden joy of having access to an ATV to go further out and explore. This is about a mile or so out of the town, with a VORTAC in the distance. A good buddy was kind enough to pose as a speedbump in this photo (actually, he was just stargazing). We only had to move once to avoid being run over!
816895255_W8Hab-L-1.jpg

4. Attempt Day 4. Spent four hours shooting the lights. This was supposed to be my more serious attempt, shorn of limitations by time/work and frostbite intolerant company. Unfortunately, it was the weakest display. Again, dragged a couple hapless friends with me as bear bait. At least this time, one other was quite enamored with photography, and both were committed to staying out a looooong time.
816895547_dB5kc-L-1.jpg

5. From Attempt Day 4. One of the shot I envisioned from Cemetery Hill, but had hoped for more brilliant lights.
816896025_XpAmo-L-1.jpg

6. From Attempt Day 4. Sans Mammals or Metal.
817345660_zXDej-L.jpg

As in many night exposures, the lights were not as brilliant as shown in photos... the green hue is picked up a lot more by the sensors as compared to what is seen by the naked eye. They look pale green or even white in person, at times coming in waves like the underside of a series of curtains. Levels and exposures were tweaked in these photos.

One of the reasons I am posting is that I hope to capture this one last time before I leave the Arctic (will not return until late Spring... by then, 24 hours of light will make the Aurora moot). This Saturday is supposed to be a level 3, albeit with possible cloudcover and 3/4 moon. I plan to bring a tent, some provisions, along with the ATV and possibly someone with a sidearm and try to improve the captures. Any C&C is welcome, especially suggestions to capture these a little better.

Comments

• Options
    xelanilxelanil Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited March 26, 2010
    Amazing! I want to see auroras! Very nice job. clap.gif
  • Options
    clicketf3clicketf3 Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2010
    Green skies
    Very nice. Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    mtullymtully Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited March 26, 2010
    Great shots and tale of adventure!
  • Options
    jpcjpc Registered Users Posts: 840 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2010
    Beautiful pics, but if you end up having to shoot a bear to get another one, that would be beyond tragic. Quit while you're ahead.
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2010
    jpc wrote:
    Beautiful pics, but if you end up having to shoot a bear to get another one, that would be beyond tragic. Quit while you're ahead.

Thanks for the comment and the concern. I would be equally quite horrified to have to harm any animal for a photo. However, the purpose of a firearm is also to produce enough noise to scare away the animal. The radius of travel on a wheeled vehicle is quite limited here... only 8 miles of drivable roads in a loop around one side of the town. The distance which I hope to be shooting would be about one mile from the town, and the chances of a bear venturing within this circuit is quite small. However, the rule of thumb here is to be prepared, and it is repeatedly recommended by the local residents to carry a firearm when venturing beyond town limits. Since I don't know the first thing about firearms, it may be wiser to bring along someone who knows what they are doing. It is my hope to see and admire as much of the beautiful landscape while I am here.
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2010
    Thank you all for your comments. It is quite spectacular up here, when you can get away from the town, and with the forever sunsets and no shortage of the golden hour (which may last 2-4 hours, depending on the time of year).
  • Options
    Captured ExposureCaptured Exposure Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited March 27, 2010
    Wow!, looks like a beautiful spot and beautiful photos. It looks darn cold though.nod.gif
  • Options
    ChristopherJAshdownChristopherJAshdown Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
    edited March 27, 2010
    what an experience - number 6 is good for a print on the wall.
  • Options
    d7freestylerd7freestyler Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited March 27, 2010
    I like #6 the best as well. Great shot!

I think #5 would be cool with better lights and some more foreground lighting; I like the idea.

Stay safe on your next trip! :D
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,919 moderator
    edited March 27, 2010
    All very nice with the last being my favorite. Perhaps because the landscape is somewhat illuminated.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2010
    I'm jealous of the photos but not of the temperatures :D

That green sky is amazing.

I usually use my charming personality to convince bears not to eat me, it's worked so far, you should try it out.
  • Options
    NorthernFocusNorthernFocus Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2010
    The last shot does a good job of capturing the hanging curtain look that is so cool in real time but so hard to get in a photo.

Don't worry about the bears. Black ones don't go that far north, the brown ones are all still asleep and the white ones have all drowned (according to the press ne_nau.gif ).
    Dan

My Photo Gallery:Northern Focus Photography
    I wish I was half the man that my dog thinks I am...
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2010
    bowdown.gif You've captured what many of us think of as an impossible dream. I'm not envious of the temps either but wow, what an incredible experience. Thank you for sharing all of it!
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2010
    Thanks for all the replies and encouragement. Still trying to get the hang of figuring the optimal exposure settings for different light levels mediated by double mittened hands and frozen synapses. As feared, my most recent attempt was hampered by the bright moonlight, but still had a great time out there.
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2010
    Wow!, looks like a beautiful spot and beautiful photos. It looks darn cold though.nod.gif

thanks! it gets nicer the further you venture out. kotz itself is rather flat and stark. the temps are not always as bad as some might think. there were times earlier in the year where the east coast was having worst weather, with the locals complaining of the lack of snow!
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2010
    I like #6 the best as well. Great shot!

I think #5 would be cool with better lights and some more foreground lighting; I like the idea.

Stay safe on your next trip! :D

Thanks! I agree about #5... wasn't certain about emphasizing the lights versus the foreground. My original was a little brighter, but the lights did not stand out as much. Mostly lowered the exposure level and tweaked the curves a little. I guess I can't have it both ways, sometimes (or at least without altering the reality too dramatically) ne_nau.gif.
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2010
    coscorrosa wrote:
    I'm jealous of the photos but not of the temperatures :D

That green sky is amazing.

I usually use my charming personality to convince bears not to eat me, it's worked so far, you should try it out.

The temps are impressive on paper only (or at least during this trip up) ... The air is quite dry, so with the right layers and windbreaker and mummified wrapping (exposed skin may mean frostnip or frostbite), you are actually quite warm. I have usually found that I am colder in the pacific northwest just because of the dampness that permeates through all clothing.

And as always Ron, you are welcome to come up when I am here. I think I would appreciate your bear whispering skills to boot! (Although you might have to leave your car and 101mph weekend road journeys behind on this one... you can drive as far up as fairbanks, but may need to huff it on foot or sled for several hundred miles to reach Kotz! Flight travel might be easier) :D
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2010
    The last shot does a good job of capturing the hanging curtain look that is so cool in real time but so hard to get in a photo.

Don't worry about the bears. Black ones don't go that far north, the brown ones are all still asleep and the white ones have all drowned (according to the press ne_nau.gif ).

Thanks. It is always difficult to decide between spending the time behind the camera, or just admiring the natural scene. I am often guilty of the former.
    It has been a light winter here, so there has been some bear activity reports many many miles away. Last year, a polar bear was sighted in the nearby village of Noorvik (presumably taking swimming lessons?ne_nau.gif). In all honesty, I am more scared of crossing the road in town with the occasional erratic snowmobilers and 4-wheelers cruising the icy roads than of anything out in the wilderness.