Options

Travel Tripod

Simo70Simo70 Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
edited May 9, 2010 in Accessories
I need to upgrade my tripod and head with a lighter one due to a travel to the Yellowstone this coming summer. Right now I own an old aluminum Manfrotto 290 (similar to the actual model 190XDB) with a 3030 quick-release three-way head. The two together are about 6 pound and the bigger weight it needs to support (camera + lens) is my D300s + 300mm f4 (all together about 5.5 pounds).
I mostly shoot landscape and wildlife photography (including macro) as you can see on my website.
Any suggestions??
Manfrotto by Bogen is probably one of the best out there and I already have the plate for the quick release, but I am open to any suggestion.
Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2010
    What's your budget? Are you hoping to find a tripod that is small enough to put inside a backpack or merely inside an airplane carry-on?
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2010
    It can be small but at the same time sturdy enough to keep the camera steady. Also if it fit in a carry-on luggage would be even better, although I am not sure if you can bring it onboard.

I have been looking at these three types:
    Bogen 190 XPROB: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/479927-REG/Manfrotto_190XPROB_190XPROB_Pro_Aluminum_Tripod.html

Bogen 190 XWND: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/502858-REG/Manfrotto_190XWNB_190XWNB_Wilderness_Tripod_Legs.html

Bogen 190CX3: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/548529-REG/Manfrotto_190CX3_190CX3_Carbon_Fiber_Tripod.html

The first two are in aluminum and weight about 4 pounds while the other one is in carbon fiber and its weight is about 2.86 pounds. I am not sure if the 1.15 pounds less justify the $100 more.

As head I was thinking about a ball head considering the fact I already have a three-way one but than I found this one that looks pretty sturdy and light. It is about 0.9 pound which is half of the one I have and it is much smaller too. This is the link: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=460MG+3D+Magnesium+Head+with+RC2&N=0&InitialSearch=yes

So as you can see my budget is within between $250 and $350 legs and head. If you know on something as good and cheaper even better.
  • Options
    bgarlandbgarland Registered Users Posts: 761 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2010
    I pack and haul my tripod around a lot in the back country. I went with the Benbo Trekker.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/248944-REG/Benbo_BEN107_Trekker_Mk3_Tripod_Legs.html

Just before my last trip I upgraded the ballhead to this one and I am very happy with it. Very well built and smooth but didn't cost mega bucks.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/666436-REG/Vanguard_SBH_250_SBH_250_Ballhead.html

It packs and carries light but has the hook on the center pole to hang weight on if you need the extra stability.
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2010
    The head seems nice and the two levels are a plus, cost is fine, but I think I have to stay with the manfrotto because I already have bounce of plates and thus I can use also my old tripod when I need it without the need of switching quick release plates. Also I have never used a ball-head and I am not sure if it suitable for landscapes and wildlife photography. Have you used it for this type of applications?
    The tripod looks cool although it seems pretty heavy. Is it really 8 pounds?? If that is the case it would be heavier than the one I already own. I was thinking on something lighter.
  • Options
    EmancipatorEmancipator Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited March 29, 2010
    Hey! I bought the Manfrotto 732CY M-Y Carbon Fiber Tripod and couldn't be happier with it. It is about 200 USD and light as a feather because it is made out of carbon basalt fiber. I know it is not pro grade, and honestly it is not rock solid. However, it is a great travel tripod indeed. I recommend it:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/663224-REG/Manfrotto_732CY_732CY_M_Y_Carbon_Fiber.html

I use it with the Manfrotto 488RC4 but do not recommend that set up, unless you NEED the pano swivel ability... cheers!
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2010
    Simo70 wrote:
    The head seems nice and the two levels are a plus, cost is fine, but I think I have to stay with the manfrotto because I already have bounce of plates and thus I can use also my old tripod when I need it without the need of switching quick release plates. Also I have never used a ball-head and I am not sure if it suitable for landscapes and wildlife photography. Have you used it for this type of applications?
    The tripod looks cool although it seems pretty heavy. Is it really 8 pounds?? If that is the case it would be heavier than the one I already own. I was thinking on something lighter.
    It makes sense that you want to keep your plates in sync across your tripods. As far as using a ball head for landscape, I prefer it. If I want to do panos my head keeps the ball locked down and lets me pivot the head flat from shot to shot.

These are not panos but I did use the tripod and head for these two shots.

813620805_VASLV-XL.jpg

817626289_SteJu-L.jpg

Your right on the weight I was trying to compromise between weight/stability and still being light enough to pack without much pain.
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2010
    bgarland wrote:
    It makes sense that you want to keep your plates in sync across your tripods. As far as using a ball head for landscape, I prefer it. If I want to do panos my head keeps the ball locked down and lets me pivot the head flat from shot to shot.

These are not panos but I did use the tripod and head for these two shots.

813620805_VASLV-XL.jpg

817626289_SteJu-L.jpg

Your right on the weight I was trying to compromise between weight/stability and still being light enough to pack without much pain.

I saw the head you suggested and I found that the Manfrotto 498RC2 is pretty similar. I read a lot of review about it and it seems that many people use it for landscape photography. It also allows to pan.
    Just replacing the head I can save 0.8 pound. I am still undecided on the tripod; you want the nice one? than you have to pay!! Any idea if this head can be mounted on different legs, I mean from other manufacturer?? Has anyone ever used Induro or Benro ??

BTW I can not see your photos.
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2010
    Simo70 wrote:
    I saw the head you suggested and I found that the Manfrotto 498RC2 is pretty similar. I read a lot of review about it and it seems that many people use it for landscape photography. It also allows to pan.
    Just replacing the head I can save 0.8 pound. I am still undecided on the tripod; you want the nice one? than you have to pay!! Any idea if this head can be mounted on different legs, I mean from other manufacturer?? Has anyone ever used Induro or Benro ??

BTW I can not see your photos.

Hmm? Not sure why you can't see the photos they show up fine from here.

Here's a direct link to my Sugmug gallery if you want to see them.

http://bgarland.smugmug.com/Landscapes/Northern-Arizona/11551919_uEvfJ#813620805_VASLV

From my experience most tripod bases have either 1/4" or 3/8" threaded shaft to mount what ever head you want. Lots of heads come with a 3/8" mount but also provide 1/4" adapter to allow you to mount it on either set up.
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2010
    bgarland wrote:
    Hmm? Not sure why you can't see the photos they show up fine from here.

Here's a direct link to my Sugmug gallery if you want to see them.

http://bgarland.smugmug.com/Landscapes/Northern-Arizona/11551919_uEvfJ#813620805_VASLV

From my experience most tripod bases have either 1/4" or 3/8" threaded shaft to mount what ever head you want. Lost of heads come with a 3/8" mount but also provide 1/4" adapter to allow you to mount it on either set up.

Cool great shots!!! Did you make them from the south rim?? I will probably go with the Manfrotto ball head and try to visit some f the store around here to compare legs. I will keep you posted.
    Thanks again.
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2010
    Simo70 wrote:
    Cool great shots!!! Did you make them from the south rim?? I will probably go with the Manfrotto ball head and try to visit some f the store around here to compare legs. I will keep you posted.
    Thanks again.

The first one is from Alstrom Point North of Lake Powell. It's called Gunsight Bute. The second one is the Horseshoe Bend overlook on the Colorado River South of Lake Powell as it drops into Glen Canyon enroute to the Grand Canyon.
  • Options
    HeatherWBHeatherWB Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited April 4, 2010
    For decent inexpensive carbon fiber tripods, take a look at Feisol.

http://feisol.net/

Their cheapest model is $209 and many of their models fold down to under 20". If you're not too tall, you can do without the center column, which will also save weight. You should be able to mount your BM head on one, as well.

HTH,
    Heather :)
    My blog: Heather's Lightbox
    My pics
    "He who cannot dance will say: "The drum is bad!" --African proverb.
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2010
    I just made my choice and I bought the Manfrotto 190CXPRO3 with the 460MG 3D Magnesium Head. they were both on sale at a local store and also got $50 rebate from Manfrotto.
    I am very happy with it and hey much lighter than my old aluminum one. The column can be swung over to horizontal position very easily, although I feel it needs to be counterbalanced to be used. Overall seems pretty good.
    Thanks everybody.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,915 moderator
    edited May 9, 2010
    Simo70 wrote: »
    I just made my choice and I bought the Manfrotto 190CXPRO3 with the 460MG 3D Magnesium Head. they were both on sale at a local store and also got $50 rebate from Manfrotto.
    I am very happy with it and hey much lighter than my old aluminum one. The column can be swung over to horizontal position very easily, although I feel it needs to be counterbalanced to be used. Overall seems pretty good.
    Thanks everybody.

Congratulations on the new tripod and head. clap.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums