Alien Bee's setup

blackwaterstudioblackwaterstudio Registered Users Posts: 779 Major grins
edited July 19, 2005 in Accessories
I'm fixing to start putting together a AB package. I'm going with;

2 AB800's
2 13' stands
1 boom arm
1 30 x 40 softbox

and this is where I need some imput. Which umbrella would you get? The translucent or the reflector one? I'm kinda stuck at this point as to which one to get.

Comments

• Options
    Lee MasseyLee Massey Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2005
    Well...
    I recently purchased B800's and I ordered some umbrella's from them as well. Personally, I went for the translucent umbrella as they seemed to offer the most versatility since they offer shoot-thru diffusion with the black cover removed, and a soft white bounce with the cover in place.

I think for general shooting the translucent ones are the best. I am sure that Shay could also provide some great advice... Here is a post of Shay's that includes references to the Alien Bee umbrella's

http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=63074&postcount=9

I hope that helps... and happy shooting! :D

Thanks,

Lee

and this is where I need some imput. Which umbrella would you get? The translucent or the reflector one? I'm kinda stuck at this point as to which one to get.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,916 moderator
    edited July 18, 2005
    Translucent.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2005
    Yes, by far the translucent is more versatile, and looks better, and it's good looks will last longer. The silver reflector type wear out and start looking ratty after a while.

ian408 wrote:
    Translucent.

Ian
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    blackwaterstudioblackwaterstudio Registered Users Posts: 779 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2005
    Thanks, I read the link that shay posted about. I'll pickup the translucent one.