Options

Easy Noise Ninja question for Yosemite Landscape...

net1994net1994 Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
edited March 29, 2010 in Finishing School
Hi Guys,

I have a great landscape pic and in Photoshop CS4 it looks great. Except in the sky areas where it is dark blue. This area is very noisy but the rest of t he photo is VERY sharp. Is it possible to run NN on just one area of the photo? Can I set in NN to just run on a range of colors found in the photo? Or is it, all or nothing?

I tried looking on NN website but did not find the answer.

Here is the pic in question:

822028711_3dqa9-X2.jpg
Candy For Your Eyes @ Paint By Pixels

http://www.paintbypixels.com

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,860 moderator
    edited March 29, 2010
    Almost any noise reduction software "could" work if you separate the color channels into separate layers and then run the noise reduction software on just the layers which need the reduction. Further restriction of the noise reduction could be accomplished using masking techniques to isolate regions.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited March 29, 2010
    In Photoshop CS4...

Create a copy of your background layer with ctrl-j -

Select the areas of the sky you want to scrub with Select > Color Range > Use the eyedropper to select the blue areas in the sky, using the slider to grab more or less of the sky. You can add to the areas with the Quick Select tool or subtract from the areas with the Quick Select tool and the alt ( option ) key.

Hit return.

Now hit ctrl-j to create a new layer of the selected areas of the sky on its own layer. Now you can run the Noise scrubber of your choice, on this layer. You can alter the opacity slider if you need to dial back the noise scrubbing, and then hit ctrl-e to flatten the layers.

I do this with NoiseWare all the time, but Noise Ninja will do it also.

As Ziggy said, you could just scrub the blue layer, but with Noise Ninja there is no real need to restrict yourself to the blue channel only.

With NoiseWare, I get a choice of landscale, or night, or portrait, as well as default settings, without having to mess with profiles. I like to use landscape or night to scrub skies. I frequently will scrub large areas of sky even if shot at ISO 200 or less.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin