Almaden Quicksilver County Park

fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
edited January 20, 2004 in The Dgrin Challenges
Gray gray misty day today...

2055197-L.jpg
"Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson

Comments

• fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2004
    2057043-L.jpg

It was the very first mining community in California, starting up operations in 1845. Before it closed down for good in 1976, it also held the distinction of being the largest, richest mine California has ever known, processing over $700,000,000 in metallic wealth. New Almaden Mine was situated in the Santa Clara Valley near San Jose and in its heyday was bustling with activity with a mix of miners from Mexico to Cornwall. And the surprise is -- this was not a gold mine. It was a quicksilver mine! Quicksilver (mercury) was absolutely essential in hard rock mining because it was used to separate the gold from the rock it was found in. The fact that the New Almaden Mine was already in operation when gold was discovered in our state only quickened the pace of the gold rush itself. Today, the town is a registered National Historic Landmark and the mine itself is on land which is part of a county park. Source.

When the weather (and my legs) improve a bit, I'll hike further up and try to get some shots of the mine ruins.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,905 moderator
    edited January 20, 2004
    fish wrote:

It was the very first mining community in California, starting up operations in 1845. Before it closed down for good in 1976, it also held the distinction of being the largest, richest mine California has ever known, processing over $700,000,000 in metallic wealth. New Almaden Mine was situated in the Santa Clara Valley near San Jose and in its heyday was bustling with activity with a mix of miners from Mexico to Cornwall. And the surprise is -- this was not a gold mine. It was a quicksilver mine! Quicksilver (mercury) was absolutely essential in hard rock mining because it was used to separate the gold from the rock it was found in. The fact that the New Almaden Mine was already in operation when gold was discovered in our state only quickened the pace of the gold rush itself. Today, the town is a registered National Historic Landmark and the mine itself is on land which is part of a county park. Source.

When the weather (and my legs) improve a bit, I'll hike further up and try to get some shots of the mine ruins.
    Pretty cool. I've never been there (keep meaning to) though.

Thanks!

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • FleasFleas Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited January 20, 2004
    Good shots, Fish
    Wow ! I just did the same thing, a gold mining town in AZ... I enjoyed you post. The wet green grass appeals to me. The weathered fence and building add a charm to you picture. Wonderful