Options

Question About Wedding Payment Terms

Ken KKen K Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
edited March 30, 2010 in Weddings
I have a question about wedding photography payment terms. The photographer my son has picked for is wedding has asked for full payment 30 days prior to the wedding date.

Is this a typical payment term? It seems a bit much. From what I recall from my other son's wedding the deal was 50% prior to the wedding and 50% upon delivery of the proofs, but that was 6 years ago.

I'd appreciate any input.

Thanks
Ken
Ken Kovak
KenK Photography - Lehigh Valley, PA
http://kenkphotography.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2010
    I have required FULL payment no less than 30 days prior, if paying by cash, if paying by check then it is 60 days prior and i have done this for over 25 yrs..............it is as much to get it off the clients mind as mine........also I had a client that refused delivery of photos for over a year, because final payment was due upon delivery.........so I changed it............same with portraits...paid in full prior to shoot..................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2010
    I think it really can be all over the map.

1. The idea behind getting paid in full prior to the event is becoming more in vogue. I believe it is due to the trend of customers that somehow forgot to save money to pay the photographer with once those proofs are delivered.

2. And it is a bit much. Though, I am to receive payment this Month, which will render paid in full, a Wedding scheduled for later May this year.

3. And it is a bit much. Because most of us, me you and the rest are used to paying for services rendered, not services promised.

4. Also, I received payment in full ( today) for a Commercial Shoot I am to do, TBD.

5. Sure as hell wasn't like this when I was a mechanic!

cheers,...oh, and congratulations on your Child's Wedding!
    tom wise
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2010
    angevin1 wrote:

5. Sure as hell wasn't like this when I was a mechanic!

cheers,...oh, and congratulations on your Child's Wedding!

1-As mechanic you had collateral incase of non payment

2- as a mechanic you could have placed a mechanics lein on the veshicle.

3- as a mechanic you had the right to see the vehicle after a period of time to regain losses..........

As a photographer you have non of the options above............for the years I was a contract photographer I was paid in full when I handed in the film......the client of the studio had already paid them in full......this goes back to the 1970's.........oh damn must edit 1st post to more than 35 yrs.......oh lord..................................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    smurfysmurfy Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2010
    When I re-entered wedding photography a few years ago, I was charging 33% retainer, 33% day of wedding, and 33% on product delivery. After two consecutive weddings not being paid day of, and one never (to this day) paying the other 33%, I went to the full payment 30 days prior mode.

(My idiocy, I'd delivered the files and album based on feeling sorry for them when the groom had lost his job and believed they would keep their word of paying in installments....)

Someone posted on a forum about a client who was angry when the hired photog left earlier than the bride expected, so she never paid what was owed, never got her pictures, and was happy with all her friends snapshots made into a Blurb book. That photog likely left after the contracted hour, edited the images, and may even have turned down another wedding for the date. And got totally burned. That's why anyone hiring a wedding photog needs to do their homework and speak to former clients, but I think that only very inexperienced photographers (like, less than three to ten weddings) would still accept the payment later than two weeks to a month before the wedding. Once burned, twice shy.
  • Options
    Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2010
    Half upon chosing to hire me.

Half one week prior to ceremony.

Period.
  • Options
    SurfdogSurfdog Registered Users Posts: 297 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2010
    I charge a $250 non-refundable retainer at the time of the booking, (Getting ready to raise that, though.) with the full balance due 1 week prior to the wedding. I have never had a couple question the policy or complain.
    http://www.dvivianphoto.com

Don't worry. I can fix you in photoshop.
  • Options
    MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2010
    Speaking as a customer, I would say it's fair that the photographer has some of the money up front but I would also call it fair if he/she gets some on delivery, ensuring to both of us that neither is a flake.

I say 50%-50%!

Malte
  • Options
    WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2010
    I don't shoot weddings, but one of my best friends does. His terms are, 50% deposit due within 1 week of booking to hold the date, full balance due on the day of the event. This seemed workable to me, so I've used the same terms for the pro gigs I've done, as well.
    Glort wrote:
    If a person has fears and reservations from the start that the shooter they are hiring may abscond with their money, why the heck are they engaging them for the job in the first place????
    Makes no sense to me.

Agreed, but even with a vendor who seems perfectly trustworthy, it's only natural to take some sensible precautions against fraud. After all, most people don't know a wedding photographer personally, and all you have to go on is a few interviews and some samples of their work, and in some cases a few prior clients as references.

I'd rather see clients with sensible suspicion than the imbeciles who book a vendor by handing over a huge amount of money without a signed contract. Photographers, DJs, videographers, caterers, florists - there are scam artists in every field, and sub-par providers who do the job but fail to meet the terms of the agreement, and those clients who hand over money without a signed contract are begging to get ripped off.
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2010
    50% at booking.......the remainder to be paid the week before the event.

Period.

Ive never had a complaint about this. Ever.
  • Options
    Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2010
    Half upon chosing to hire me.

Half one week prior to ceremony.

Period.
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    50% at booking.......the remainder to be paid the week before the event.

Period.

Ive never had a complaint about this. Ever.

I like your thinking! :D
  • Options
    Kevin CTMPKevin CTMP Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited March 23, 2010
    I charge 1/3rd down to hold the date (non-refundable) and the remainder due on or before the day of the wedding. I also sort of bribe them by giving a free 16x20 print if they pay in full at booking. I've had a lot of people go that route, and none have ever complained about my payment plans.
  • Options
    Ken KKen K Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited March 23, 2010
    Folks,

Thanks for all your input on my question. This time is different from my previous experience and figured it would not hurt to ask.

Take Care,
    Ken
    Ken Kovak
    KenK Photography - Lehigh Valley, PA
    http://kenkphotography.smugmug.com
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2010
    I do minimum of 25% at contract signing and throw in a free engagement session if they pay a 50% retainer, so I almost always get 50%. I take the other 50% when I deliver the disc. this specifically does not mean they have the right to view the pictures before I get paid. I do typically try to get a half dozen or so low res edited images emailed to them within a couple of days of the event and these are my early favorites from the day, but that just gets them excited. I don't put up the gallery or give them anything else until I have a check. I have yet to have somebody not want to see the pictures or in anyway try to not pay me.

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    samgusssamguss Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited March 26, 2010
    With the way the economy is - especially in my area, my terms for wedding photography is:

1) Partial payment due on booking to hold the date. Amount depends on package they are going with.

2) Remaining balance to be paid at any point up to the morning prior to the wedding event.

For portraiture:

1) Sitting fee due at time of booking and non-refundable. Usually $50, but also depends on package.

2) Remaining balance to be paid upon delivery.
  • Options
    barry100barry100 Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited March 30, 2010
    For wedding day photography I ask for 20% deposit on booking and then they can pay me either within the week before the wedding day or on the day.

I think 30 days before hand is a little long simply because you can never tell what is going to happen in the time space before the big day.
  • Options
    Robert.MetzelRobert.Metzel Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited March 30, 2010
    50% retainer with signed contract, other 50% at least 30 days prior to date.

And for barry100.... not sure how its worded in your contract but you ask for a retainer, not a deposit. Why? Legally a deposit is or can be refundable, regardless of wording, a retainer is not refundable unless stated its refundable.