Options

Sunrise at the Lake pano

CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
edited March 31, 2010 in Landscapes
Lake Hodges is quickly becoming a favorite sunrise spot for me, mainly becuase the 15 minute drive lets me sleep a little longer than other sunrise spots would! :rofl

Plus it's just secluded enough to be serene (until the fishermen and their little motor boats take over at sun up) but close enough to civilization I don't need to make special plans to get there.

Shot this pano on Sunday and just got a chance to piece it together over lunch. C&C always welcome.

816709573_Jg2Fo-XL-1.jpg

Slightly larger version here

6 shots, landscape orientation (need to remember to go portrait and get even more pixels in there next time) taken roughly 20 minutes before "actual" sunrise & processed/stitched in CS3.
Chris
SmugMug QA
My Photos

Comments

• Options
    shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2010
    Awesomeness. Love the pano, the reflections and the beautiful colors... clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Cheers,
  • Options
    AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2010
    shniks wrote:
    Awesomeness. Love the pano, the reflections and the beautiful colors... clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Cheers,
    15524779-Ti.gif Wonderful stuff.
    Peter

www.andmanphotography.com

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2010
    Thanks guys! I was somewhat concerned when I got there that I wouldn't get a sunrise because of near total cloud cover, but luckily somewhere beyond the hills there must have been a larger enough break to light up the underside of the clouds for just a few minutes.

I've never been much of a morning person, but it's hard to argue with colors like this! :D
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2010
    That looks really good, but I would have waited for the sun to come up higher in the sky for effect.
    I should swing down to your area, this lake would look great in my portfolio.

umph.gif

I smell shenanigans! Foul, dirty-footed shenanigans...
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2010
    Chris - I see why this is your new favorite place! Lovely colors in this shot. You could have waited for more sun and produced a different type of shot, but IMO this lighting works well for this particular image. I like it a lot!

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    DeeCajunDeeCajun Registered Users Posts: 515 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2010
    this looks so much like the lake I live on

I've been wanting to do a pano so this sure gets me motivated

lovely photo thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2010
    redleash wrote:
    Chris - I see why this is your new favorite place! Lovely colors in this shot. You could have waited for more sun and produced a different type of shot, but IMO this lighting works well for this particular image. I like it a lot!

Lauren

Thanks, Lauren! :D
    I stuck around for a little while after this shot and there was no sun to be had. It was near total cloud cover and I think I just got lucky that there was a small break in the clouds behind the hills to give off that color. I think this one will be going up on the wall when I redo my little home office!
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2010
    DeeCajun wrote:
    this looks so much like the lake I live on

I've been wanting to do a pano so this sure gets me motivated

lovely photo thumb.gif

Thanks, DeeCajun! :D
    Get out there, do the pano, make me even more jealous that you're living on a lake! rolleyes1.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2010
    Good to hear you will put this on your wall! I'm about to order a couple for my wall as well . . . my shots, that is, not yours. mwink.gif

Keep shooting, Chris--I always enjoy your work.
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2010
    shenanigans? I just got back from a tour of the SW and as soon as I get home tonight from my day job I will post my pictures.
    I'm just starting out in photography but the visual art's run deep in my family so naturally I will be good at landscape photography.

Well, I appologize for calling shenanigans then. Apparently Chris was posting past his bed time last night! rolleyes1.gif

I caught the photo bug from my dad, so I know what it's like to try living up to precedence! Looking forward to seeing your shots! thumb.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2010
    CWSkopec wrote:
    Thanks, DeeCajun! :D
    Get out there, do the pano, make me even more jealous that you're living on a lake! rolleyes1.gif

You're not that far.... come and show me how its done! See what you could do with this:

http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=1359730&postcount=61

:curtsey
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2010
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2010
    redleash wrote:
    Good to hear you will put this on your wall! I'm about to order a couple for my wall as well . . . my shots, that is, not yours. mwink.gif

Keep shooting, Chris--I always enjoy your work.

Don't let me discourage you, Lauren! Feel free to get some of my photos for your walls too! rolleyes1.gif

Thank you for the kind words! :D
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2010
    DeeCajun wrote:
    You're not that far.... come and show me how its done! See what you could do with this:

http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=1359730&postcount=61

:curtsey

Now that's a nice backyard, right there!! eek7.gif
    I could get used to something like that!

I doubt I could do much better, really I just got lucky with that nice pink glow on the clouds! thumb.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2010
    dlplumer wrote:
    Well done Chris clap.gifthumb.gif

Thanks, Danny! :D

Now quit lookin' at my stuff and get your Death Valley photos up for me to ooggle! rolleyes1.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2010
    CWSkopec wrote:
    Now that's a nice backyard, right there!! eek7.gif
    I could get used to something like that!

I doubt I could do much better, really I just got lucky with that nice pink glow on the clouds! thumb.gif

naw, you got skills... I also like the weeds coming up out of the water...

I don't have CS3 and have tried a few stitching programs ... no luck.. maybe one day!