Options

Info Box

gramps50gramps50 Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
edited April 1, 2010 in Dgrin Forum Support
I am not sure what is causing this to happen whether it's my browser (Linux FF) or the forum software but which ever it drives me nuts. As I an scrolling through the new threads reading the titles if I pause the mouse pointer to long on the line with the thread title a box pops up with a ex-cert of the message. I'm sure some find this useful but not I. Is there a way to turn that option off?

Comments

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,199 moderator
    edited March 23, 2010
    gramps50 wrote:
    I am not sure what is causing this to happen whether it's my browser (Linux FF) or the forum software but which ever it drives me nuts. As I an scrolling through the new threads reading the titles if I pause the mouse pointer to long on the line with the thread title a box pops up with a ex-cert of the message. I'm sure some find this useful but not I. Is there a way to turn that option off?

vBulletin forum software does that by default, and by design. No way to turn it off. It is a feature (hovering the mouse) to scan the content of a thread without opening it up. Most users find it a time saver.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2010
    David_S85 wrote:
    vBulletin forum software does that by default, and by design. No way to turn it off. It is a feature (hovering the mouse) to scan the content of a thread without opening it up. Most users find it a time saver.

I think this should stop all tooltips in FireFox:

(A) In FireFox's address bar type about:config

(B) Press the "I'll be careful, I promise!" button.

(C) In the filter line at the top type browser.chrome.toolbar_tips

(D) On the configuration line that is shown double-click that to toggle the value from true to false.

(E) Tooltips should be blocked for all websites. Restart FireFox if needed.
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,199 moderator
    edited March 25, 2010
    Wow! Learn something new every day. A tip on how to stop tool tips. :D(I still don't know why one would want to shut down a forum feature, though ne_nau.gif )
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2010
    RogersDA wrote:
    I think this should stop all tooltips in FireFox:

(A) In FireFox's address bar type about:config

(B) Press the "I'll be careful, I promise!" button.

(C) In the filter line at the top type browser.chrome.toolbar_tips

(D) On the configuration line that is shown double-click that to toggle the value from true to false.

(E) Tooltips should be blocked for all websites. Restart FireFox if needed.

You were correct that did block the tooltips and I can now scroll through the forums without having to worry about were the mouse pointer is located.

Thanks
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited April 1, 2010
    gramps50 wrote:
    You were correct that did block the tooltips and I can now scroll through the forums without having to worry about were the mouse pointer is located.

Thanks

Interesting. I guess the only problem is that it will turn them off in all Web sites, which might not be such a good thing. They annoy me, too, on Dgrin, but I usually just try to keep the cursor to the right hand side of the screen, so they don't kick in.
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2010
    Richard wrote:
    Interesting. I guess the only problem is that it will turn them off in all Web sites, which might not be such a good thing. They annoy me, too, on Dgrin, but I usually just try to keep the cursor to the right hand side of the screen, so they don't kick in.

I thought that too but the same "feature" is on some other forums that I frequent so it will help there too. How it effects other things I don't know yet. It's easy to correct if it becomes a problem somewhere.