Options

Event (soccer tournament) sales report

Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
edited July 20, 2005 in Mind Your Own Business
I finished the galleries yesterday. Have had a slow trickle of sales without having everything posted yet - about $90 worth from 3 customers.
Have had one request to make a large poster.
And here is the best one: The soccer program that ran the tournament would like to buy the rights to some of the photos for their web site and print advertising. So, what do I charge them for that?

ann

Comments

• Options
    ChaseChase Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2005
    I just sold 180 dollars worth of prints to a mom from three little league games.....at 99 cents a print no less. :D

Ask them what they think is reasonable and if that is ok with you, go for it. ne_nau.gif
    www.chase.smugmug.com
    I just press the button and the camera goes CLICK. :dunno
    Canon: gripped 20d and 30d, 10-22 3.5-4.5, 17-55 IS, 50mm f1.8, 70-200L IS, 85mm f1.8, 420ex
    sigma: 10-20 4-5.6 (for sale), 24-70 2.8 (for sale), 120-300 2.8
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2005
    Hi chase.

Congrats! 180 prints is great!

My actual orders haven't changed yet, but I have had the following requests:

How big can you make the print?

Can you edit people out of the photos?

Can you make posters?

Will you come to my son's game and photograph just him?

So this looks like it was a worhtwhile experience, and a good bit of exposure.

As far as the request for use in their avertising, I got quite a bit of info from the 'digital download' thread here. I think I will talk to the organization and offer them a cd with web ready (resized) and print ready photos for their web site and adverts, non exclusive, of about 10 or 12 images. I think there is some value to me to have the exposure, so I am thinking about asking the same price as I do for 5 x 7 prints:$10 each.

ann

Chase wrote:
    I just sold 180 dollars worth of prints to a mom from three little league games.....at 99 cents a print no less. :D

Ask them what they think is reasonable and if that is ok with you, go for it. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    MongrelMongrel Registered Users Posts: 622 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2005
    That's really great Ann!
    Looks like things are moving along very well for you thumb.gif .

Chase, same for you man-sales are good :D

Now, if I can only figure out how to deal with people who tell me they *will order* prints and, well, erm, headscratch.gif never do umph.gif

I put up over 500 shots from fall field hockey and spring lacrosse. I sold *one* 5X7 that I printed on my inkjet with the players name on it. :cry

Oh welllll....

I'm glad some of us are selling clap.gif

Congrats again Ann
    If every keystroke was a shutter press I'd be a pro by now...
  • Options
    ChaseChase Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2005
    Mongrel wrote:
    Looks like things are moving along very well for you thumb.gif .

Chase, same for you man-sales are good :D

Now, if I can only figure out how to deal with people who tell me they *will order* prints and, well, erm, headscratch.gif never do umph.gif

I put up over 500 shots from fall field hockey and spring lacrosse. I sold *one* 5X7 that I printed on my inkjet with the players name on it. :cry

Oh welllll....

I'm glad some of us are selling clap.gif

Congrats again Ann
    What are your prices like?
    Has someone already saturated your market?
    Is someone doing it for free?
    How are you advertising your website or self?

ne_nau.gif
    www.chase.smugmug.com
    I just press the button and the camera goes CLICK. :dunno
    Canon: gripped 20d and 30d, 10-22 3.5-4.5, 17-55 IS, 50mm f1.8, 70-200L IS, 85mm f1.8, 420ex
    sigma: 10-20 4-5.6 (for sale), 24-70 2.8 (for sale), 120-300 2.8
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2005
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Have had one request to make a large poster.
    I learned from a local MX photographer (who makes his living with sports photography) that collages sell very nicely. I've started doing it for karting and it is working well. I need to spread the word. Is this what you meant by "poster"? You might want to offer "event posters". Once you have a template its not hard to personalize.
    http://mercphoto.smugmug.com/gallery/364085
    And here is the best one: The soccer program that ran the tournament would like to buy the rights to some of the photos for their web site and print advertising. So, what do I charge them for that?
    Hard to say. When I was asked about this by the kart track I photograph for (because an affiliated company wanted my images, they sell karts), I quoted (for one year use) web $100, one ad (for one year, national or international) $400, or one year unlimited use $1,000. I was told by the track's marketing person (who has experience in this) that I was offering a very fair deal. But they declined. In her words that company was "cheap" and simply didn't want to pay for anything.

Looking at "Pricing Photography" by Heron and MacTavish my prices were indeed under what this book suggested. I suggest you pick up a copy for yourself as well.

I'm hoping others chime in here with more knowledge.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2005
    Well after about 3 full weeks of having the photos up, I was a bit dissappointed with the results - about $350 in sales and 1 set of team and individual for another $140. Several requests without follow through of actual orders too, including the organizations request for usage for their advertising. I gave them what I thought was a good price - their choice of 12 files, I would provide web sized and print (for print adverts) sized files of each, for $100.

Then last night I got a phone call and an order for another $120 in prints and the queery of 'would you consider getting fully set up for on site printing and be available for another 3 tournaments this summer?'.

So would I?
    Well, I am certain that on site sales would do better than after the fact.
    I am also certain that it cannot be a one man show at that point - besides having someone to help run the sales tent, how would one handle any editing necessary?
    And there is a need for more than one photographer when events are spread out around several locations.

So, a new quandry!

Thanks for all of your support so far.

ann
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2005
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Well after about 3 full weeks of having the photos up, I was a bit dissappointed with the results - about $350 in sales and 1 set of team and individual for another $140. Several requests without follow through of actual orders too,
    I have that same problem doing web-only orders from kart and motocross.
    including the organizations request for usage for their advertising. I gave them what I thought was a good price - their choice of 12 files, I would provide web sized and print (for print adverts) sized files of each, for $100.
    Way too cheap for advertising use of photos. I sell digital files to racers for $10 a piece, and that is for personal use only. That is 20% higher than you quoted for advertisement use.
    Then last night I got a phone call and an order for another $120 in prints and the queery of 'would you consider getting fully set up for on site printing and be available for another 3 tournaments this summer?'.

So would I?
    Well, I am certain that on site sales would do better than after the fact.
    I am also certain that it cannot be a one man show at that point - besides having someone to help run the sales tent, how would one handle any editing necessary?
    And there is a need for more than one photographer when events are spread out around several locations.
    I've thought of going that route and continually decline. On-site printing is expensive to get started and you will not be able to man it yourself. I know people who make a living by offering on-site viewing and order taking. They print later and mail the following week. In the end, you still get your order and your money at the event, which appears to be crucial. When people get home and have had a day or two while you upload photos, the desire to purchase seems to drop quickly. People cannot function anymore without instant gratification.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    CreativesifuCreativesifu Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited July 11, 2005
    Congrats to Soccer Mom!
    Consider that your sales for that day were $350, and you may not have made $350 that day at your regular job.

I just shot a birthday party this weekend, sold on site pictures and made a little over $200 dollars.

Beats what I would have made at work,had fun, got some referrals, and got some cute ladies phone number.

clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2005
    Well, if it were one day of work then it would be worthwhile. However, taking, editing, posting and then handling orders has been much more than a day. I am working on a 75% mark up over print cost but that has to cover time and equipment. If this is going to be a real business it must be looked at as more than just quick spending money!

I am at about $600 now, and have made some great impressions and connections, so I can call it a small success, but not a real business yet.
    ann

Consider that your sales for that day were $350, and you may not have made $350 that day at your regular job.

I just shot a birthday party this weekend, sold on site pictures and made a little over $200 dollars.

Beats what I would have made at work,had fun, got some referrals, and got some cute ladies phone number.

clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited July 11, 2005
    Ann,

You rule! Nicely done.

You're absolutely correct when you mention the things that go into a successful
    business. The "easy" part is to shoot the picture. The hard part is to avoid any
    need to further process the image (other than the "usual"). So getting exposure and
    cropping right when you shoot it is the key. After that comes automation. As much
    automation as you can.

Efficiency is the name of the game.

Best of luck!
    Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2005
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Well, if it were one day of work then it would be worthwhile. However, taking, editing, posting and then handling orders has been much more than a day. I am working on a 75% mark up over print cost but that has to cover time and equipment. If this is going to be a real business it must be looked at as more than just quick spending money!

I am at about $600 now, and have made some great impressions and connections, so I can call it a small success, but not a real business yet.
    ann
    Ann,

I would consider this a great success! You are generating cash while learning! This is fantastic.

I would however try to price based on market as opposed to costs. I can get 8X12 for $4.00 each. (3.00 each with some volume) If I use your example of adding 75% of the cost to get a selling price, I end up with $7.00 for an 8X12.

This sounds pretty low for a high quality 8X12. If your individual prices were say a little higher, maybe you could then offer an attractive photo package at a discount.

Just a thought. :):

No mater what your doing great and are on your way.

Good Luck!!!

Sam
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2005
    Hi Sam-
    Well, here is my cost vs. price breakdown - I pay $5.99 plus tax ($6.49) for an 8 x 12. I charged this group $20.00, and did not collect gst - if my 'business' earns less than $30,000 I do not have to submit gst. So in this case, my mark up is actually 68%ish. (13.51/20.00*100). That is how I got the 75%. I also based this price on the fact that that seems to be the common price charged by event on site photographers. So it is competetive in the market.

Interestingly, we were at a soccer tournament this weekend and there was an on site photog there. Lots of expensive equipment but ink jet printers (boxes out in the open). No processing of images before purchase, but some great shots posted as thumbnails and some good close ups posted as examples of finished. Anyway, the parents on my sons team, who of course get my special discount pricing, had 2 comments: their photos weren't as good as mine and their prices were too high. I chuckled because I thought the pricing was good.

Thanks for the encouragement Sam.

ann

Sam wrote:
    Ann,

I would consider this a great success! You are generating cash while learning! This is fantastic.

I would however try to price based on market as opposed to costs. I can get 8X12 for $4.00 each. (3.00 each with some volume) If I use your example of adding 75% of the cost to get a selling price, I end up with $7.00 for an 8X12.

This sounds pretty low for a high quality 8X12. If your individual prices were say a little higher, maybe you could then offer an attractive photo package at a discount.

Just a thought. :):

No mater what your doing great and are on your way.

Good Luck!!!

Sam
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2005
    Hi Ian

I am getting better all the time at getting the shot right from the camera. Still find changing light (overcast days) a real challenge, and frankly I probably shood be shooting with a prime, because I find it difficult to use the zoom while shooting!! Need to be more coordinated. But when I do get the actions correct, I get some great shots. Overall I'd rather be tight to the action than too far away.

Thanks so much for the encouraggement.

ann

ian408 wrote:
    Ann,

You rule! Nicely done.

You're absolutely correct when you mention the things that go into a successful
    business. The "easy" part is to shoot the picture. The hard part is to avoid any
    need to further process the image (other than the "usual"). So getting exposure and
    cropping right when you shoot it is the key. After that comes automation. As much
    automation as you can.

Efficiency is the name of the game.

Best of luck!
    Ian
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2005
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Hi Sam-
    Well, here is my cost vs. price breakdown - I pay $5.99 plus tax ($6.49) for an 8 x 12. I charged this group $20.00, and did not collect gst - if my 'business' earns less than $30,000 I do not have to submit gst. So in this case, my mark up is actually 68%ish. (13.51/20.00*100). That is how I got the 75%. I also based this price on the fact that that seems to be the common price charged by event on site photographers. So it is competetive in the market.

Interestingly, we were at a soccer tournament this weekend and there was an on site photog there. Lots of expensive equipment but ink jet printers (boxes out in the open). No processing of images before purchase, but some great shots posted as thumbnails and some good close ups posted as examples of finished. Anyway, the parents on my sons team, who of course get my special discount pricing, had 2 comments: their photos weren't as good as mine and their prices were too high. I chuckled because I thought the pricing was good.

Thanks for the encouragement Sam.

ann
    Ann,

I think I missunderstood your original post. Your operating with a 68% gross profit margin. I think it's a matter of semantics, but the profit looks much better than my erroneous calculations. :D

As to printing onsite or later. That is a business decision you will need to keep looking at. Don't undreestimate the quality of an ink jet. I have a Canon i9900, and the quality is outstanding. My concern would be with longevity.

If your getting your prints done locally, maybe you could talk to your lab and explain your looking for a long term relationship and much higher volume. Ask if they have a price schedule for resale, etc.

If not, try looking at some of the online labs, MPIX, WHCC. Their quality is excelent, and the prices are better then your paying now. (No tax ether)

Keep working at it.

OH, and I wouldn't collect any gst. My doctor says it's very contagious. :):

Sam
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2005
    Two more tidbits of info:

1. One of my first orders required mailing across town - they were recieved last week, and today brought me a new customer (kid on the same team) and another fairly large order! (and some gushing compliments!)

2. I was asked today to do all team & individual photos for this organization for the next indoor and outdoor season. I stepped up and did one teams worth on about 3 hours notice, and blew them away! Never say 'no, I'm not organized or ready for this', just trust in yourself and get it done!

And I can't remember whether I posted this in this forum or wide angle, but I posted about the mom from my daughters team that wanted my photos for her collage - well, she is now buying from me!

I think I am making progress!

ann
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited July 20, 2005
    Good on you Ann!

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?