Options

White Balance and Contrast...

DRT-MaverickDRT-Maverick Registered Users Posts: 476 Major grins
edited July 20, 2005 in Technique
I've showed a lot of my pictures that I find disatisfying to some people, and they keep telling me that my white balance and compensation is messed up on my camera, but I have it to auto or off. What do you think the problem is? The contrasts are always too extreme, and the highlights tend to get blown way too easily.
Pentax K20D 14.6mp Body : Pentax *ist D 6.1mp Body : Pentax ZX10 Body : 180mm Sigma Macro EX lens : 18-55mm Pentax SMC DA Lens : 28-200mm Sigma Lens : 50-500mm Sigma APO DG EX lens : Pentax AF-500FTZ flash : Sigma EX 2x Teleconverter.

Comments

• Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2005
    Auto anything does not mean perfect or even good, it just means easy.

Do you have any examples you can show? What camera are you speaking of?

If auto white balance is a problem, try using a preset. If that is not working, then try doing a custom white balance. Your camera may or may not allow for this.
    I've showed a lot of my pictures that I find disatisfying to some people, and they keep telling me that my white balance and compensation is messed up on my camera, but I have it to auto or off. What do you think the problem is? The contrasts are always too extreme, and the highlights tend to get blown way too easily.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2005
    DRT, don't forget to put your camera in your profile, it helps folks answer questions like this. Like Shay, I'm curious to see a sample shot.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    DRT-MaverickDRT-Maverick Registered Users Posts: 476 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2005
    We have a place to put it in our profile?

It is in my signature :)
    Pentax K20D 14.6mp Body : Pentax *ist D 6.1mp Body : Pentax ZX10 Body : 180mm Sigma Macro EX lens : 18-55mm Pentax SMC DA Lens : 28-200mm Sigma Lens : 50-500mm Sigma APO DG EX lens : Pentax AF-500FTZ flash : Sigma EX 2x Teleconverter.