Options

Renaming files in Adobe Bridge

EddyEddy Registered Users Posts: 320 Major grins
edited April 3, 2010 in Finishing School
Hello All:
When renaming files, does one need to re-name them once they are processed or, you can go ahead and rename bfore the process has taken place.. I lost some files due to renaming before being processed..and i really dont know if i can retreive them..
My renamimg method was 6 digits ..000001-to infinity in bridge. Think i did something wrong..and help would be appreciated..took 300 shots this morning of the sunrise with different polariser's and some wild life
E.J.W

Great understanding is broad and unhurried, Little understanding is cramped and busy" ..... Chuang Tsu

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,933 moderator
    edited April 3, 2010
    I rename my files in Bridge (CS3) immediately after uploading them to my computer and have never had a problem. It's always the first thing I do. Not sure what the problem might be in your case. Did the batch rename appear to complete normally? headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2010
    Hi Richard:
    Is that after you have processed them or before they are processed. I used the 6 digits and this was after i process them and wanted to chnage them to tiff..I think i may have created the issue where i also chnaged the crw raw file .."DOH" and thtas when i lost them.
    E.J.W

Great understanding is broad and unhurried, Little understanding is cramped and busy" ..... Chuang Tsu
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2010
    Eddy wrote:
    Hi Richard:
    Is that after you have processed them or before they are processed. I used the 6 digits and this was after i process them and wanted to chnage them to tiff..I think i may have created the issue where i also chnaged the crw raw file .."DOH" and thtas when i lost them.

Eddy,

I change the names before doing any processing of .CR2 files, but I believe Bridge will let you change a filename whenever you want. AFAIK, Bridge will not change a raw file to another type, though it does let you save a new copy as a different type. The batch rename function in CS3 doesn't allow changing file type as part of the process, so I'm not sure how you were changing the raw files to TIFF. Oh, one other thing: Bridge does let you save the renamed files in a different folder than the source. Could that be how the files vanished? headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2010
    Ah yes Richard..thats what i want to hear..So even thou they are raw i can certainly change them but i need to leave the .cr2 files with that extension.the same yes.
    E.J.W

• Options
    edited April 3, 2010
    Eddy wrote:
    Ah yes Richard..thats what i want to hear..So even thou they are raw i can certainly change them but i need to leave the .cr2 files with that extension.the same yes.

I put it badly in the earlier post. Bridge itself does not convert files from one type to another. You can open a raw file in ACR from Bridge and save it as a TIF, JPG, PSD, and a few others. This will create a second file. But the raw file will not change, and you should not manually change the extension to something else.