Options

Next best logical camera up from the D90? Interested in Canon 7d video quality

AaronJAndersonAaronJAnderson Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
edited April 7, 2010 in Cameras
I need a new camera body.
I have some Nikon gear so I'd like to stick to that brand.

I'm in LOVE with the HD video quality of the Canon 7D.
Nikon D90 video quality is CRAP and it doesn't have any audio inputs.
I'm not sure the D300s video quality is much better than the D90, but it's MUCH more expensive.

I can get the 7D body, and spend 1600 bucks on just the body, and then have no lenses or strobes, etc to go with it. :(

Anyone care to comment? What should I do?

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,911 moderator
    edited April 4, 2010
    What Nikkor lenses do you have?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    AaronJAndersonAaronJAnderson Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited April 4, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote:
    What Nikkor lenses do you have?

Not a ton.

I shoot 98 percent of my stuff with the f/1.8 35mm (cheap @ 200 bucks)

I also have the 18-55 kit (so so) and the 55-200 (don't like it)

Next on my list is a Tokina 11-16/f2.8 but I don't own it yet and getting it with a canon mount shouldn't be a big deal.
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2010
    The best lenses for video on a "crop" dSLR especially are lenses with a large aperture. The Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX, if that's what you have (seems likely), is a "G" series lens which means that it lacks an aperture ring.

The reason that is important is that you may use some Nikkor "F" mount lenses on a Canon dSLR via a lens adapter. While the 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX should work on a Canon dSLR with the appropriate adapter, you would be limited to both manual focus "and" wide open. That's not all bad however since video use tends to love wide open operation for many video applications. You might consider exposure control partly using neutral density filters.

I will caution you that any dSLR is a poor substitute for a good camcorder for general video applications. Unless you shoot "indie" style video (similar to a "Hollywood" production but with a very small budget or no budget) you might hate using a dSLR for video work.

Your other lenses are likewise not the best choices for video work. Ideally you want large aperture lenses for best control of DOF and prime lenses tend to have the largest apertures. Primes are not generally a problem for this sort of video work because the short takes usually allow for lens changes in the indie style of shooting.

Also plan on using external microphones and a field mixer for best audio.

Count on lots of time spent on short takes and editing. Remember that HD video requires a very current and powerful computer for editing and uses current software too.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2010
    The 1280 x 720 @ 24 fps video mode of the Nikon D300S is pretty usable unless you really need the capabilities of the 1080P mode in the Canon 7D.

If you want to stay with Nikon I do think that the D300S is worth a closer look. Maybe rent one for a while to find out if it will work for your needs?
    ziggy53
  • Options
    studio1972studio1972 Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2010
    I need a new camera body.
    I have some Nikon gear so I'd like to stick to that brand.

I'm in LOVE with the HD video quality of the Canon 7D.
    Nikon D90 video quality is CRAP and it doesn't have any audio inputs.
    I'm not sure the D300s video quality is much better than the D90, but it's MUCH more expensive.

I can get the 7D body, and spend 1600 bucks on just the body, and then have no lenses or strobes, etc to go with it. :(

Anyone care to comment? What should I do?

For video you could get the 550d, pretty much the same as the 7d.
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2010
    If you want to make a semi-serious or serious hobby out of cinematography, get a real video camera, and enjoy your D90 for stills.

If you just want to take casual home movies of your kids, get a Flip HD. Or better yet, get a Canon P&S that also does HD video. The video will be as good as the Flip, and then you'll also have a good p&s!

Or just get a Red Scarlet and be done with it! ;)
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.