Options

Still trying to take macro shots

ZygoteZygote Registered Users Posts: 128 Major grins
edited July 21, 2005 in Holy Macro
Hi,

Since i joined here recently i have learned a lot (i think) from tips, tricks and your stunning photos. Here are 3 of my latest efforts. Comments are appreciated :)

29149105-O.jpg

29148822-O.jpg

29148823-O.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,900 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2005
    Hi Zygote

That first shot is pretty amazing- how did you do that?
    The other two insect shots are very good.
    The butterfly looks slightly soft and could do with a bit more lightening or contrast. You'll find insects are more interesting if shot from angles other than directly above especially from the side or side/front.
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2005
    Hi Lord Vetinari,

I was lucky with the first one i guess. It had just rained and i saw that big drop (?) on the flower and though i should take a picture of it. He,he!

Thanks for your suggestions about the butterfly. I shall try it. :D

Here are details about the butterfly. What could i improve other than using Photoshop afterwards?

Aperture: f/2.8
    ISO: 80
    Focal Length:7.9mm
    Exposure Time: 0.001s (10/10000)

Thanks! :D
  • Options
    Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,900 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2005
    Zygote wrote:
    Hi Lord Vetinari,

I was lucky with the first one i guess. It had just rained and i saw that big drop (?) on the flower and though i should take a picture of it. He,he!

Thanks for your suggestions about the butterfly. I shall try it. :D

Here are details about the butterfly. What could i improve other than using Photoshop afterwards?

Aperture: f/2.8
    ISO: 80
    Focal Length:7.9mm
    Exposure Time: 0.001s (10/10000)

Thanks! :D
    Ah- that would explain why it is a bit soft- the wide open aperture. Not sure what camera setup you are using, but you need to try to decrease the aperture. You should be able to shoot at say 1/100 th sec and smaller aperture. The comment on the slight dullness of the butterfly was directed towards a paintshop job. Most of the macroholics here will be using flash even in bright sunlight to be able to use apertures in the region F11-F16 to get good DOF.
    Brian V.
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2005
    Thank you kindly! I'm so new at this that i haven't learned yet how to manually set the aperture, shutterspeed and so on to take a good picture. I use the pre set functions. I used my camera's macro function on all the above.