Options

Some London Shots

JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
edited April 9, 2010 in Street and Documentary
I don't know why, but I really wasn't feeling it this weekend. I spent four days on the streets of London and feel like I came up empty. Still, it was nice to get out and do some street shooting again- I suppose I haven't done that in well over a year. As this forum has recently been my impetus to put my nose to the grindstone again, I thought I would share some of the results. The lesson I've learned is that you have to shoot regularly in a style in order to keep your skills honed, else they atrophy.

831082388_KP3Wz-M.jpg
Brick Lane

831115358_YyGhu-M.jpg
Burrough Market

831120007_uEMau-M.jpg
Burrough Market

831092284_LgNoC-M.jpg
Tube Station

831086781_FMUYG-M.jpg
Spitalfields

831036996_DRWd5-M.jpg
Buckingham Palace

Cave ab homine unius libri

Comments

• Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2010
    Justiceiro wrote:
    I don't know why, but I really wasn't feeling it this weekend. I spent four days on the streets of London and feel like I came up empty....

I've been there with not feeling it. #1, #2 and 6 don't do it. But the others have legs.
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2010
    Really? I was kind of feeling #6 more than the others. Maybe because police shots can be hard to get. The British are a lot touchier about street photography than I'm used to.
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2010
    I was going to compliment you for even getting street shots in the UK these days. clap.gif But the #6 shot itself doesn't really do it for me.
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2010
    The only people allowed to photograph in British streets are the government. 25% of the CCTV cameras in the world are in the UK. Yet they crawl all over street photographers. Odd, innit?

I don't know exactly where to put the following photo, as we don't have an architecture or cityscape forum, but this one is actually my favorite shot from the trip. I was thinking of this famous photo while looking at St. Pauls:

25%20London%20in%20the%20Blitz.jpg
    Mod edit: Photo by Herbert Mason

And as I am standing there, a plane that looks very much like a bomber flew over the dome.

831145020_n3PUr-M.jpg
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2010
    Really nothing wrong with #3! And I disagree a bit with Jenn about #2 and#6, both of which are nice in my eyes. But sometimes you really ring the bell and sometimes not.

And sometimes another thing happens: you don't get what you were trying to get and are disseminated. But later you look and discover that you did get something good.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2010
    A few more...

831063323_ddE83-L.jpg

831088325_sQRYx-M.jpg

831110814_MibeH-L.jpg

831130084_rB3Mj-L.jpg

831134905_nnL2b-L.jpg

831154597_rw9JV-M.jpg
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited April 8, 2010
    #11 clap.gifclapclap.gif
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2010
    I do like #4, 10, & 11 (and do not dislike any). Those pique my interest. #11 is cool because of the scale of the buildings with the child. I want to know what is going on in the other two.

And you are right about keeping up the skills. OTOH, they will return very quickly with practice. And you have the added excitement of trying not to get arrested...mwink.gif
  • Options
    richardmanrichardman Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2010
    Interesting, before I read any comment, #11 speaks to me too :-)

but they are all decent. Well done.

Ha ha, I was actually going to tag the Mason picture as one of the best ones too :-)
    "Some People Drive, We Are Driven"
    // richard <http://www.richardmanphoto.com&gt;
    richardmanphoto on Facebook and Instagram
  • Options
    SyncopationSyncopation Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2010
    Always interesting to see shots of one's hometown.

#11 stands out for me although I'd like to see a square crop to the left of the columns ..................

832068878_WnQkY-L.jpg
    Syncopation

The virtue of the camera is not the power it has to transform the photographer into an artist, but the impulse it gives him to keep on looking. - Brook Atkinson- 1951