Options

Exif gone from one forum? And style changed

NetgardenNetgarden Registered Users Posts: 829 Major grins
edited July 21, 2005 in SmugMug Support
HI Smugmug helpers. I was just noticing my most recent album has no exif data showing and can't find where to allow that [all the others were automatic, so I don't know what happened] http://netgarden.smugmug.com/gallery/666998

Also my pages look a little different and think it somehow got changed to another style, and I can't recall where I had seen that change nor did I change that....Any ideas how to get it back? It was the smugmug format I think, without all the dash lines around everything. http://netgarden.smugmug.com/

Thanks for any help!:):

Comments

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2005
    Two possibilities
    Netgarden wrote:
    HI Smugmug helpers. I was just noticing my most recent album has no exif data showing and can't find where to allow that [all the others were automatic, so I don't know what happened] http://netgarden.smugmug.com/gallery/666998

Also my pages look a little different and think it somehow got changed to another style, and I can't recall where I had seen that change nor did I change that....Any ideas how to get it back? It was the smugmug format I think, without all the dash lines around everything. http://netgarden.smugmug.com/

Thanks for any help!:):
    Two possibilities I'm aware of:

1) In the "Customize Gallery" page for Smugmug, there's an option that says "Camera Info" Yes/No. This is a separate setting for each gallery.

2) Check to see if you actually have EXIF info on the JPEGs. If you inadvertently used Save for Web in Photoshop or some other tool that doesn't support EXIF, the EXIF info may have been stripped.

--John
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2005
    jfriend wrote:

1) In the "Customize Gallery" page for Smugmug, there's an option that says "Camera Info" Yes/No. This is a separate setting for each gallery.

2) Check to see if you actually have EXIF info on the JPEGs. If you inadvertently used Save for Web in Photoshop or some other tool that doesn't support EXIF, the EXIF info may have been stripped.

--John

15524779-Ti.gif perfect answer
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2005
    Thanks John, I think I also am having trouble with my PSP9 losing exif data as well, so maybe thats it. No idea why, I am in touch with Jasc, as 9 has a bug I think, and its auto-open in PSP9 can't be changed with the usual "open with" choice in Windows. Got to squash that bug too, maybe thats it. I'll check tomorrow. Something weird going on with that. ne_nau.gif I think I have to do some registry work to stop that mess. Muchas gracias

Hi Andy!

jfriend wrote:

--John
  • Options
    BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2005
    Netgarden wrote:
    I think I also am having trouble with my PSP9 losing exif data as well, so maybe thats it. No idea why, I am in touch with Jasc, as 9 has a bug I think, and its auto-open in PSP9 can't be changed with the usual "open with" choice in Windows.
    Linda, what I found very useful is to have the Web toolbar active (View>Toolbars>Web). If you then use the Jpeg optimizer from that toolbar it has an option to include the EXIF info.

If you want to reinstall PSP9, I recommend that you get your hands on the "zapjasc" utility and run that first. It completely removes the PSP footprint from your PC.

I must be honest and say that I haven't had any problems with PSP9 losing EXIF data.

regards
    alan
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2005
    Thanks Alan, I've never had problems with psp7 0r 8 either. 9 seems to have a glitch in it. The weird thing is it had worked fine for a few months, lol. Never had lost my exif. I still have all three maybe thats part of the problem. But I don't want to lose my psp7 because of a ton of plug ins, etc. 8, I will try to remove. Do you know if zapjasc would remove just one of them or will it zap all 3? Don't want that. Strange all this started happening when I was trying to get my photos to open in Windows and Fax Viewer again. psp9 had taken it upon itself to auto open everything in psp9! grrrrr. I tried all the usual fixes to no avail, and finally a jasc rep gave me a link to how to remove that part in the registry. Thats my next step, other than uninstalling 9 and try it again. But I still might have the same prob. Any ideas on who I could contact on this besides the Jasc/Corel help forum? They don't seem to have experience in this. tnks
    BigAl wrote:
    Linda, what I found very useful is to have the Web toolbar active (View>Toolbars>Web). If you then use the Jpeg optimizer from that toolbar it has an option to include the EXIF info.

If you want to reinstall PSP9, I recommend that you get your hands on the "zapjasc" utility and run that first. It completely removes the PSP footprint from your PC.

I must be honest and say that I haven't had any problems with PSP9 losing EXIF data.

regards
    alan
  • Options
    BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2005
    Netgarden wrote:
    Thanks Alan, I've never had problems with psp7 0r 8 either. 9 seems to have a glitch in it. The weird thing is it had worked fine for a few months, lol. Never had lost my exif. I still have all three maybe thats part of the problem. But I don't want to lose my psp7 because of a ton of plug ins, etc. 8, I will try to remove. Do you know if zapjasc would remove just one of them or will it zap all 3? Don't want that. Strange all this started happening when I was trying to get my photos to open in Windows and Fax Viewer again. psp9 had taken it upon itself to auto open everything in psp9! grrrrr. I tried all the usual fixes to no avail, and finally a jasc rep gave me a link to how to remove that part in the registry. Thats my next step, other than uninstalling 9 and try it again. But I still might have the same prob. Any ideas on who I could contact on this besides the Jasc/Corel help forum? They don't seem to have experience in this. tnks
    Linda, we're probably way OT here, but I hope the smugmug support people bear with us for a bit :uhoh (I'm sure Andy will move it if necessary!)

zapjasc allows you to selectively remove programs or bits and pieces such as registry entries. I have 8 & 9 active, and when I went from 9 (IE) to 9 (US), I used zapjasc to kill 9 with no problems to 8. From what I have read, the programs are totally independent and can all be active at the same time without interference between them.

What you may want to do to check whether PSP is throwing away the EXIF data is to open one of your pictures, go to Image>Image Information>EXIF to check that it's there. Use the Jpeg optimizer as I mentioned in my previous message to save the file as a new Jpeg, then open that file with the image and fax viewer. In the image and fax viewer right click on the picture and in the properties check the advanced info to see whether the EXIF data is there.

WRT 9 taking over picture viewing, what I did to give control back to image and fax viewer was to right click on a jpeg (for instance) from the windows explorer and then select "Open with" (I think there is a further option to "always use this").

As far as the help forum is concerned, if people like Fred Hiltz are in the dark, then I'm afraid you're pretty stuck as he probably knows as much about PSP as the Jasc support people. I used to communicate with a couple of support people at Jasc, but I haven't for a while and am not sure whether they are still employed by Corel.

Sorry for being long-winded but hope it helps a bit.

regards
    alan
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2005
    Alan you are very helpful, thanks for the trouble of typing!
    Yes I have used all the normal tries like "choose Windows Fax viewer, and checking the Always open box. Its really weird because it works fine sometimes . I never had this problem before. It's so annoying to have to hunt for a photo, because it keeps reverting back to open psp9, and its so time consuming and disorganized now when I am editing or working on a batch of photos. It des appear to be a glitch in PSP9, and investigating on the net, numerous fixes havn't worked for some people. I may just uninstall and try it again. Lets just say its totally annoying when you have to wait for 9 to open when you are in a hurry, to say noting of the annoyance of losing Exif data. And like I said, its at random. You can even tell in my album here, some have data and some don't. It appears that the glitch is known by others too, and apparently why all the fixes arent working if because it hasn't been removed from the registry.

I've been really busy plus have a bad neck, so this is very time consuming and hard on me to solve. (well even if my neck problems werent an issue, I don't think anyone would be happy with the problem, so annoying! ;~)

Thanks for the help. Yes, I do see the exif in Image/information "most" of the time, but when its gone, its completely gone. I may have to do the uninstall.
    Thanks for checking on me. I really appreciate it. I'll leave a note here if I find a fix, in case anyone else has this prob.

Yes, all three PSP's do not seem to conflict at all. I'll know more later.thumb.gif

BigAl wrote:
    Linda, we're probably way OT here, but I hope the smugmug support people bear with us for a bit :uhoh (I'm sure Andy will move it if necessary!)

zapjasc allows you to selectively remove programs or bits and pieces such as registry entries. I have 8 & 9 active, and when I went from 9 (IE) to 9 (US), I used zapjasc to kill 9 with no problems to 8. From what I have read, the programs are totally independent and can all be active at the same time without interference between them.

What you may want to do to check whether PSP is throwing away the EXIF data is to open one of your pictures, go to Image>Image Information>EXIF to check that it's there. Use the Jpeg optimizer as I mentioned in my previous message to save the file as a new Jpeg, then open that file with the image and fax viewer. In the image and fax viewer right click on the picture and in the properties check the advanced info to see whether the EXIF data is there.

WRT 9 taking over picture viewing, what I did to give control back to image and fax viewer was to right click on a jpeg (for instance) from the windows explorer and then select "Open with" (I think there is a further option to "always use this").

As far as the help forum is concerned, if people like Fred Hiltz are in the dark, then I'm afraid you're pretty stuck as he probably knows as much about PSP as the Jasc support people. I used to communicate with a couple of support people at Jasc, but I haven't for a while and am not sure whether they are still employed by Corel.

Sorry for being long-winded but hope it helps a bit.

regards
    alan