Options

Packages Packages Packages...

Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
edited April 10, 2010 in People
This is a never-ending topic it seems. But, there are never any good examples. I'm trying to come up with some packages for my Seniors and I just don't know where to start. For now lets focus on seniors and portraits. Portraits can be anything from individuals and families to concerts and events.

I already have my ala carte pricing for everything I offer, and I'm really liking where its at. Now, I just need to somehow throw it all into a package and slap a marginal discount on it.

In this thread I'm not looking for what your prices are. I just want to know what you put in your packages, what you name your packages, and if you and/or your clients even like your packages.

Thanks!
Jer

Comments

• Options
    slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,194 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2010
    How many different packages do you want to offer??

I'm going to speak as a Mom here (because the photographer part hasn't even begun to think about packages yet...ahem...)...

What I have seen this year for my daughter's school stuff (band pics) is a list of many options--maybe too many. Both outfits that did our band photos had a package that included everything but the kitchen sink--a large (small poster size) group shot, 3 8x10's, 4 5x7's, 4 3 1/2 x 5's, 8 larger wallets, 16 smaller wallets, and even some 4x6's. Whew! From there they went down to smaller packages with the smallest pkg being one that had one 5x7 plus 8 wallets. Lots of stuff in between.

The packages that most people seemed to want to buy were
    1 8x10, 2 5x7, 8 wallets + add in the group shot
    or
    2 5x7, 4 3.5x5, 8 wallets + add in the group shot

I'm not sure if this helps or not.

I would guess for senior portraits that a package heavier on wallets for sharing would go over well.

Good luck.

Sherry
  • Options
    djamesdjames Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2010
    For the bulk of my work I offer the following packages

1. 1-8X10, 4-3X5's, 16-Wallets (single pose only)

2. 1-8X10, 4- 5X7's, 4-3X5's, 16 Wallets (up to 3 poses)

3. 1-11X14, 1-8X10, 4-5X7's, 4-3X5's, 24 Wallets (unlimited poses)

4. 1-16X20, 2- 8X10's, 4-5X7's, 4-3X5's, 32 Wallets (unlimited poses)

Choice #2 is the most popular.
    http://www.djames-photography.com
    In this great big world around us, we will find what we are looking for! What we do with it is up to us to decide.
    Olympus E-500 Olympus E-520 Zuiko 14-45 Zuiko 40-150 Sigma 50-500 Zuiko 18-180 4-AB800 strobes, 1AB-400 stobe, 4 softboxes, brolly box, umbrellas etc.
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2010
    Thanks,

Any specific reason why you both chose to offer 3x5's when they're pretty much out of style now?

Sherry, what do you mean by bigger and smaller wallets? I work at a photolab and I have never heard of two different sizes of wallets...
    Jer
  • Options
    slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,194 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2010
    I have been 3 opportunities this year to purchase band or other school event photos for my daughter (3 different businesses). Each of the three offered packages with the 3.5x5's in them. People seem to want them, at least around here.

The last set of band pics that we bought had 2 5x7, 4 3.5x5, 4 wallets (2.5x3.5), and 8 mini-wallets (1.75x2.5). The kids like to exchange the mini-wallets and of course the parents want the bigger wallets. We bought the smallest package that had 2 5x7's in it because that's what we wanted.

Sherry
  • Options
    djamesdjames Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2010
    Thanks,

Any specific reason why you both chose to offer 3x5's when they're pretty much out of style now?

Sherry, what do you mean by bigger and smaller wallets? I work at a photolab and I have never heard of two different sizes of wallets...

I find that people like the fact that a 3X5 is easy to mail.
    http://www.djames-photography.com
    In this great big world around us, we will find what we are looking for! What we do with it is up to us to decide.
    Olympus E-500 Olympus E-520 Zuiko 14-45 Zuiko 40-150 Sigma 50-500 Zuiko 18-180 4-AB800 strobes, 1AB-400 stobe, 4 softboxes, brolly box, umbrellas etc.
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2010
    I offer a single package for seniors....just one....with affordable add - ons....

The package:

-Up to 3 hrs on location shooting
    -20 pose limit
    -2 8x10s
    -8 5x7s
    -20 4x6s
    -80 wallets
    -watermarked downloads of the 20 poses that are chosen to be used for facebook/myspace

I charge extra if the location is mre than 30 miles away. Client pays any entrance or "garden" fee for the location.

Add ons are affordable. I make the $$ for my time up front on the package. Half is paid at sitting time and the remainder when prints are delivered.

I also offer press printed books.

Typically, wallet sized prints are mailed with invitations to family and friends, and so this makes up the bulk of the products.

I may shoot a couple hundred frames. They choose the 20. THEN I do touch ups on only those 20 (if needed). This saves a ton of work/time.
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2010
    Thanks Jeff,

I was hoping you would find this and chime in. That helps out a lot. I wasn't sure how many of each size to include in the package. I like how you only have one package... thats good marketing. They have no option for a cheaper package.

And I agree with the editing... I only edit the images they have printed through me. What I do is I'll give them a cd of unedited pictures of their session. I do this because it gives them an incentive to get prints done by me. They'll get professionally edited images on high quality, archival, photo paper, for a professional price. Or they could save a few bucks and print it themselves and have crappy looking images.

I have examples of what it would look like unedited - printed at wal-mart. And examples of my edits, printed through BayPhoto or Millers Lab. And I have some fancy canvas wraps that make their jaw drop. :D

---

djames, that makes sense.. smaller for mailing. I just hate 3x5's coming from a photolab technician's perspective. So much cutting.... It takes a long time to make 3x5's compared to 4x6. because you don't have to cut 4x6's.
    Jer
  • Options
    astrostuastrostu Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited April 10, 2010
    Just a note on package names - please don't be "new agey." I went on some photographer's sites and saw names like, "Celestial," and "Nova," and "Wondrous," and it kinda made me gag a bit. I know it's not incredibly creative, but at the moment my wedding packages are simply labeled as, "Basic," "Intermediate" 1 through 3, and "Top." I think it gets the point across without turning people off for the wrong reasons.

Body: Canon 350D, Canon 7D
    Lenses: Canon 35mm f/1.4L, Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, Canon 18-55mm f/3.5-4.5, Quantaray 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6, Quantaray 600-1000mm f/9.6-16
    Flashes: Canon 430EX, Canon 580EX II
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2010
    Thanks Jeff,

I was hoping you would find this and chime in. That helps out a lot. I wasn't sure how many of each size to include in the package. I like how you only have one package... thats good marketing. They have no option for a cheaper package.

And I agree with the editing... I only edit the images they have printed through me. What I do is I'll give them a cd of unedited pictures of their session. I do this because it gives them an incentive to get prints done by me. They'll get professionally edited images on high quality, archival, photo paper, for a professional price. Or they could save a few bucks and print it themselves and have crappy looking images.

I have examples of what it would look like unedited - printed at wal-mart. And examples of my edits, printed through BayPhoto or Millers Lab. And I have some fancy canvas wraps that make their jaw drop. :D

---

djames, that makes sense.. smaller for mailing. I just hate 3x5's coming from a photolab technician's perspective. So much cutting.... It takes a long time to make 3x5's compared to 4x6. because you don't have to cut 4x6's.

I dont offer only one package to corner them into a more expensive package at all....

I built the package based on what we needed and didnt get when I had a photographer shoot my son's sr pics. Then I added enough so that even kids with divorced/remarried parents would have plenty of paper to go around.deal.gif

My model is to be paid for my TIME. The paper is cheap. thumb.gif

As far as giving the rest of the images on disk, THAT is just something I dont do. A disk from me starts at $300....whether its one image or a hundred. An extra pose added to the package is $35.ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2010
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    I dont offer only one package to corner them into a more expensive package at all....

I built the package based on what we needed and didnt get when I had a photographer shoot my son's sr pics. Then I added enough so that even kids with divorced/remarried parents would have plenty of paper to go around.deal.gif

My model is to be paid for my TIME. The paper is cheap. thumb.gif

As far as giving the rest of the images on disk, THAT is just something I dont do. A disk from me starts at $300....whether its one image or a hundred. An extra pose added to the package is $35.ne_nau.gif

Sorry, I didn't mean for it to sound like you were "scamming" them into paying you more. I meant it more as a this is a package you could do, or just buy everything separate. People usually take packages because it "saves them money"... even though its really just a way to get them to spend more than they normally would.

I try to keep it half and half.. like, my time is worth a lot, but the prints are too. I want everything about my business to have value to the customer.

People actually pay $300 for the disk of 20 poses? Wow. I might have to rethink my standpoint on the disk...
    Jer
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2010
    Sorry, I didn't mean for it to sound like you were "scamming" them into paying you more. I meant it more as a this is a package you could do, or just buy everything separate. People usually take packages because it "saves them money"... even though its really just a way to get them to spend more than they normally would.

I try to keep it half and half.. like, my time is worth a lot, but the prints are too. I want everything about my business to have value to the customer.

People actually pay $300 for the disk of 20 poses? Wow. I might have to rethink my standpoint on the disk...

No...usually they WONT pay $300 for the disk of 20 poses. The price tag is meant to deter folks from wanting the files and is based on the fact that most of my clients seem to average about $300-ish in print purchases...which is what I give up once the files are turned loose.

Some do pay.

...but I'm not the part timer that the full timers accuse of stealing away business on the cheap. I charge what it's worth...and more than many local full timers....but I am offering a very personal shoot that is completely customizable. This is what I LIKE to do...and if a client would rather pay less I can live with that too.

I have chosen to include the files with weddings only because I want the couples to have a copy....or multiple copies(recommended) of their event in case of fire or natural disaster. I dont want to be responsible for maintaining those files indefinately, so I tell them Ill keep them 2 years. After that they are on their own. And I dont even do a "package" for weddings, but rather tailor the price based on the event...do I need an assistant?....rental gear?...how easy/difficult will the venue be?....too many variables.

...and I hate the tiered packages....gold, silver, platnum...etc......to me it's just plain cheesy.